Does ExpressVPN work with Chromecast?
Yes, ExpressVPN does work with Chromecast with the help of a VPN-enabled router. As Chromecast doesn’t have a built-in VPN or Smart DNS compatibility, in order to use ExpressVPN on your Chromecast, you need to connect it with a router that has ExpressVPN enabled on it.
We will teach you exactly how to configure ExpressVPN on Chromecast using a router.
Being one of the best VPNs for most devices, ExpressVPN and Chromecast are a power duo.
Google Chromecast is an HDMI-compatible dongle connected to your TV that allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. easily.
Sadly, while Chromecast is a fantastic device, it is region-specific and allows users to only stream apps available in their regions. This problem can be tackled by installing ExpressVPN on Chromecast.
ExpressVPN offers amazing speed to users. Based on our ExpressVPN speed test results, it offers an average speed of over 80 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. You can also torrent through this service using ExpressVPN’s P2P-optimized servers.
Before purchasing ExpressVPN for Chromecast, check out its features in detail in our ExpressVPN review.
How to set up ExpressVPN on Chromecast?
To set up ExpressVPN on Chromecast, you’d have to first set up ExpressVPN on a Router. Unfortunately, connecting Chromecast to a VPN is challenging as ExpressVPN does not directly work with Chromecast. No, it isn’t an ExpressVPN Chromecast problem. Chromecast itself does not support any VPNs as it uses a combination of LAN protocols.
How to set up a physical router for ExpressVPN:
Every router is not compatible with a VPN. Before installing a VPN directly, make sure that your router is VPN-compatible. To check that, you can either check the manual of your router or visit this guide.
- Visit ExpressVPN’s site and Sign Up.
- The Chromecast setup guides by ExpressVPN for physical routers are available here. Follow them to enable the VPN on your router.
- Follow the instructions by the VPN provider to set up the VPN on your router. Once you’re done, all devices connected to your Wi-Fi network would be secured through a VPN.
How to set up a virtual router for ExpressVPN:
Configuring the firmware of your physical router may seem too complicated. You can always avoid that and set up a virtual router on your PC or Mac.
Setting up a virtual router on Windows with ExpressVPN:
For Windows 10:
- Click Windows. Then, visit Settings > Network & Internet. From there, turn ON the Mobile Hotspot.
- Visit ‘Share my internet connection from’ and select ‘Wi-Fi.’ Set up a new network and password by clicking ‘Edit.’
- You will find Change adapter options under Related settings. Click that.
- Under Network Connections, you will find the internet connection you created.
- Select Properties by right-clicking ExpressVPN Tap Adapter in Network Connections. In properties, choose ‘Sharing.’
- Find the box for ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.’ Tick that and click OK.
- Launch the ExpressVPN app on your computer, and connect it to your desired server location.
- Connect your virtual VPN-enabled router to your Chromecast and enjoy!
For older versions of Windows OS:
For older versions of Windows, you need to confirm whether your Windows is virtual router-compatible or not.
- Open your search bar by pressing ‘Windows + S’. After this, type cmd for the Command Prompt. Right-click it to select Run as administrator.
- Paste netsh wlan show drivers in the Command Prompt and click ‘Enter.’
- Your network connection can create a virtual router if you see “Hosted network supported: Yes” on your screen.
- Type netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD in the Command Prompt
- Replace NETWORKNAME and PASSWORD with your chosen network name and password and click Enter.
- You will see “The hosted network started” on your screen when the virtual router starts. If that’s not the case, then you will need to update your network adapter drivers.
- To share your virtual router, press Windows + R to open the Run prompt. Once done, Enter ‘ncpa.cpl’ and press ‘OK’. Note down the name of your created VPN connection when you see it.
- Look at ‘ExpressVPN Tap Adapter’ and right-click on it. From the drop-down menu, select Properties > Sharing. You will find ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’ Tick the box and click ‘OK.’
- Sign up for ExpressVPN. You will receive an email after that. Click the ‘Set Up ExpressVPN’ tab provided in the email. After that, select ‘Manual Configuration.’
- Select ‘PPTP & L2TP/IPsec’ for your username, password, and a list of server addresses to be displayed. Once it is displayed, note the information.
- From the top-left of your screen, click the Apple logo > System Preferences > Network to set up the L2TP VPN.
- To create a VPN connection, click +. Insert the details in a pop-up window and click to create.
- Go to the network window to enter the following details:
- Choose default for Configuration
- Server Address
- Account Name
- Tick the box ‘Show VPN status in menu bar’ for displaying the status of your VPN connection status in it.
- Enter the password and shared secret in ‘Authentication Settings’ and click ‘OK.’ Tick the box: ‘Send all traffic over VPN connection’ in the Advanced tab and press OK
- To save all the settings, press ‘Apply.’
- To start running your VPN, go to Network and click
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing. From the options displayed, choose your created L2TP VPN connection and tick ‘Wi-Fi’ from ‘To computers using.’
- Insert the Network Name, Channel, Security, and Password in the Wi-Fi options and click OK
- After that, tick the box next to ‘Internet Sharing’ in the ‘Sharing’ Turn on your Wi-Fi if it’s off and press ‘Start’.
How do I use ExpressVPN with Chromecast?
To use ExpresssVPN with Chromecast, you will have to configure ExpressVPN on your router. To configure ExpressVPN on TP-Link, D-Link, Linksys, and Asus Routers check out our article on “How to Setup ExpressVPN on Routers in 2022“.
- Once you have configured your router, visit the Chromecast app on your TV.
- Connect to the Network that is now being transmitted by your VPN-enabled router.
Once your ExpressVPN and Google Chromecast are connected, you’re free to enjoy all unblocked content of other regions.
How to change the location on your Chromecast while using ExpressVPN:
To change the location on your Chromecast while using ExpressVPN, you will be required to switch to a different server for changing your location. For this, you will have to go back to your VPN app and choose a different server from the list of servers provided by ExpressVPN. Changing your server will allow you to stream the services and content of those countries without any restrictions.
Chromecast provides unlimited streaming access to movies and TV shows of other countries through ExpressVPN for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and other apps. For this purpose, a change of location would become crucial.
This puts an end to our step-by-step guide to setting up and using ExpressVPN with Google Chromecast. Setting up a VPN on a router may seem challenging, but it will guarantee you freedom for a long time.
ExpressVPN may be a bit pricey, but it is still one of the best VPNs for Chromecast in 2022 that offers amazing plans even after ExpressVPN’s lifetime plan discontinuation. You can always cancel your ExpressVPN subscription in case you think that the service isn’t meant for you or opt for ExpressVPN’s free trial to test the service first.
If you hurry up, you can avail of ExpressVPN’s limited-time offer of “12 Months + 3 Month Free” which comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.