China has become an epitome of Internet censorship. For freedom-loving netizens, China conjures up an image of a dystopian and authoritarian society where population has little control over the kind of content they can consume. To regain some of that freedom, VPN services can get you through many blocked services in the country.
In this blog, I will focus on one particular provider: PureVPN for China. I will describe how you can setup this VPN, the key benefits it offers particularly in relation to bypassing the Great Firewall of China, and solutions to some of the common problems that citizens face.
PureVPN and the Great Firewall of China
The Great Firewall of China (GFW) is the digital counterpart of the actual physical wall. It is almost as sturdy as the real one, with its primary purpose being the filtering of websites from foreign countries and censorship.
Over time, the GFW has only become more effective in blocking foreign websites as well as software services. There are only a handful of China VPNs that work in the country. PureVPN has always differentiated itself from others by its ability to hop user traffic over the GFW and provide individuals in Chinese territories access to content from overseas.
PureVPN offers the best geographical coverage with its server base having presence in more than 140 countries. Within China, it offers servers located in the major cities i.e. Beijing, Guangdong, and Shanghai. In addition, its servers in nearby locations such as Hong Kong which are quite effective in permitting users access to content beyond the wall.
Pros of PureVPN
- Servers located in China and geographically close locations
- Advanced tunneling protocols for bypassing the GFW
- Strong encryption for security of user traffic
Cons of PureVPN
- Connecting to certain China-appropriate servers can take multiple attempts
For a comprehensive evaluation of this service, check out PureVPN review.
How to Setup PureVPN in China
PureVPN can be installed on a wide range of devices including PCs, Macs, and smartphones quite easily through these steps:
- Visit the official PureVPN website and click the “Get PureVPN” button
- Choose from the available packages
- Select you preferred payment option
- You will receive an e-mail with your login details as soon as you have purchased the VPN
- Download the VPN client on your device
- Install it and enter your credentials to login
- Connect to a server appropriate for China and get unlimited access to the web
Benefits of Using PureVPN in China
PureVPN has a wide set of features that enhance online security of users in China while providing access to blocked website. Some of the key benefits it offers are:
- Break the GFW of China: The most important attribute of PureVPN is that it can turn the GFW transparent to incoming foreign traffic. The GFW blocks social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter as well as many other news websites. PureVPN is perfectly capable of unlocking all these services wherever you may be located in China.
- Ensure Privacy and Security Online: PureVPN uses strong AES-256 bit encryption which makes it virtually impossible for any third party to decode your data and traffic on the web. This can ward off of potential cyber-attacks and government espionage. The zero-logging policy also effectively guards online activity sessions of users.
- Access VoIP Services: Social media is not the only platform that China finds objectionable. VoIP services such as Google Talk, WhatsApp, and Skype are also blocked in the country. PureVPN’s powerful servers can unblock these services and allow users to communicaste through long-distances at low cost with these apps.
PureVPN China Reddit
The reviews of users on Reddit can be quite helpful if you want to learn about how a VPN is performing for users. Here is one user sharing their experience of using PureVPN in China.
Recently, many VPN services as well as websites have suffered an increased in restrictions from the GFW. This is not a new occurrence, however, as updates and tightening of regulations has previously caused some VPNs to have trouble bypassing the GFW in the past as well. The following user points this out:
It should be noted that all VPNs suffer downtimes in China from time to time as the government presses on services allowing blocked services to leak through the wall. However, VPN services that are familiar with Chinese digital protocols know how to deal with this and these issues do not last for long.
So even if PureVPN like its counterpart is facing downtime currently in China, this problem is likely to resolve itself soon.
PureVPN China Twitter
PureVPN is one of the few providers that seems to have pleased most customers if you search through Twitter. Many users on the social media platform have praised PureVPN’s ability to work well in China. For instance, this user talked about how PureVPN can access various overseas channels for sport and news while in China:
Night shift too – watching live from 2.30 UK time. I downloaded PureVPN for 10 dollars to VPN into China (probably cheaper apps). You want CCTV-5, just Google it. Chrome gives English translation. Works a treat but only seen NBA, beach volleyball, etc the last 2 nights.
— Paul Stedman (@p_stedman) December 3, 2017
Another user recommended PureVPN for its fast speeds in China, calling it even better than its rival, ExpressVPN.
Trying out PureVPN this summer in China~ I hear it's got faster streaming/downloading than ExpressVPN~
— renka @ looking for 9/29 GA (@zrenkarts) May 17, 2017
PureVPN not working in China – Issues and Resolutions
Certain Servers work better than others
If you are using PureVPN and still unable to access blocked websites, try using servers that are outside China but geographically close to your location. PureVPN offers these servers close to China that are effective in bypassing geo-blocks:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
Try connecting to these servers unblock sites you want to access.
Change VPN Protocol
The default VPN protocol used by PureVPN is OpenVPN. However, other protocols like SSTP and L2TP/IPSec are better at penetrating the GFW. You can change protocol settings on PureVPN and try these different configurations to access blocked sites.
PureVPN China enables access to the greater part of the Internet that has unfortunately been blocked in China. It remains one of the few providers that continues to offer Chinese citizens a way to cross the bounds of the GFW and enjoy great content.
I hope this blog was of some assistance to you regarding PureVPN in China. Feel free to leave your comments and feedback below.