Sony PS4 is a masterpiece of perfection in the world of gaming and on-demand entertainment. After reading this blog, you will learn how to setup the best PS4 VPN and get the maximum out of your gaming console.
The PlayStation 4 is the most powerful gaming console ever launched in the history of gaming. Its tremendous hardware and processing capabilities have transformed it into much more than simply a gaming platform, and more of an entertainment box.
Nonetheless, it still manages to annoy and frustrate gamers when they encounter region-restricted gaming titles, gameplay lag, and hackers roaming scot-free on gaming servers. The way out of these annoyances is offered by PS4 VPN that benefit gamers in many ways.
In this blog, you will learn how to setup a VPN for PS4 and how it can improve your gameplay, security, and overall access to media services and gaming titles.
Alternatively, you can read our dedicated article on best VPN services of 2019 to discover the leading providers for a wide range of purposes.
What is a PS4 VPN?
VPN services are software that can change the IP address of users as visible to the outside world. Of course, there is no actual change in IP addresses taking place, but for all appearances on the web, your location is changed.
This digital trickery has several effects that benefit the end-user. For one, it will allow you to gain access to geo-restricted services and stream, since you now appear to be accessing the web from a new location. Secondly, a good VPN encrypts user traffic, which solidifies your security, making it much more difficult for hackers to fool around with your confidential information.
A PS4 VPN works efficiently with Sony’s gaming console and grants users’ access to services, titles, and online gaming servers that might otherwise be unavailable in their region. For instance, Netflix US, Amazon Prime, HBO and Hulu etc. offer only a limited library of content for regions outside of the US.
A VPN enables you to access these services as a user located in the US, even if you are living in a different continent. Many exclusive PS4 titles are released in other regions long after they have been released in regions like Japan, Germany and Australia etc.
If you have a VPN, however, you won’t have to practice the patience required to calmly wait for a long-anticipated game to finally become available in your region.
To cut it short, VPN services make your PS4 even more fun than it already is.
Packed with tremendous features, powerful hardware and impressive design, Sony PS4 takes users’ entertainment experience to great heights. Despite robust processing capability, online gaming issues including lag, latency and ping spikes destroy users gaming experience.
PS4 VPN Setup is the safest solution to get rid of online gaming glitches, protected against DDOS attacks and PSN hacks. In addition, a VPN services for PlayStation offer one-touch access to region-restricted games and video streaming services.
5 Best VPNs for PS4
When you connect to a VPN service before playing your desired games on PS4, it masks your original IP addresses. As a result, you are able to get maximum speeds since your ISPs cannot throttle your internet connections.
However, the task of selecting an appropriate VPN for PS4 is not an easy one. For your ease, I have compiled a list of VPN services that you can consider to secure your privacy on PS4. Here is the list of VPN services that delivers the right balance of benefits needed while using PS4:
|VPN Providers||Price ($)||Special Deals||More Info|
Best Affordable VPN
$2.88 Per Month
Exclusive Discount 2 years Plan
Best for Private Browsing
$2.75 Per Month
3 Years Deal
Best for China
$1.99 Per Month
2 Years Deal
Best for Geo-Unblocking
$2.99 Per Month
3 Years Plan
Best for Streaming
$6.67 Per Month
No Exclusive Offer
PureVPN provides premium VPN services to users all around the world. Its 2,000 servers are distributed in over 140 countries make it a highly effective tool for bypassing geo-restrictions. With PureVPN, you can assume an IP address from any of these 140 countries and access game servers from anywhere in the word.
The security features of PureVPN are state-of-the-art, as it uses advanced OpenVPN protocol for encryption. Thus, PureVPN is a complete package and the best VPN for PS4 available in the market.
Read our full PureVPN review.
- Provides more than 2,000 Servers in 140 Locations
- Supports Advanced Tunneling Protocols
- Offers Unlimited Bandwidth
- Customer Support is available through Live Chat 24/7
- Servers can drop in Speeds during Peak Load
NordVPN is a popular service that offers high speed servers located in 62 countries. The total number of servers under its tally currently exceeds 5100+ and this list is continuously growing. It values privacy of users and does not maintain any connection or activity logs.
Moreover, NordVPN offers a 3-day free trial. It also has a refund policy in place, as users can ask for their money back if they are not satisfied with it within 30 days. Thus, NordVPN is a top-notch VPN service for PS4.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Provides over 5,100 Servers in more than 62 Locations
- Offers 3-Day Free Trial
- Allows up to 6 Devices to Connect Simultaneously to the VPN
- Offers 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- The Double VPN Feature can Slow down Server Speeds
Surfshark is one of the newbies in the VPN industry but has a huge potential to grow in future. At present, the brand is providing its services in 50+ countries. In addition, the service is compatible with all the leading platforms and gaming consoles including PS4.
Luckily, you can avail its impressive 30 days money back guarantee feature that allows you to check the performance of Surfshark in detail.
Read our full Surfshark review.
- Offers an Impressive 24/7 Customer Support Service
- Provides a Military Grade 256-bit Encryption Feature
- Follows No-Logging Policy in True Letter and Spirit
- Does not have a Huge List of Tunneling Protocols
CyberGhost is another VPN service compatible with gaming console PS4. The provider is offering its huge range of services in all the major countries of the world. You can connect to any server of your liking from anywhere.
Through 3000+ servers available in 60+ countries, you can secure your privacy hassle-free. Likewise, you can use its generous 45 days money back guarantee feature to enjoy complete online freedom on your PS4.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- Provides a Humongous 45 Days Money back Guarantee
- Offers an amazing Multi-Login benefit to Users
- Compatible with all the Major Platforms and Gaming Consoles
- Users may Face Connectivity Issues while Selecting their Preferred Servers
ExpressVPN offers servers in more than 94 locations. The server strength of ExpressVPN is 2,000+ servers. Al servers provide fast speeds and support streaming, gaming, and streaming. It uses military-grade encryption that can ward off hacking attempts from malicious users.
ExpressVPN can be configured directly on a router so any device that connects to the router (such as your PS4) will be under the protective blanket of the VPN. Thus, we strongly recommend ExpressVPN as one of the best VPN providers for PS4.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Delivers a Strong Server Infrastructure
- Offer a Generous 30-Day Refund Policy
- Uses Military-Grade Encryption
- Does not Log User Data
- Slightly more Expensive than Other VPN Alternatives
Best VPN for PS4 to Kill Online Gaming Issues & Unblock Geo-Restricted Games
We conducted an experiment to measure performance of top PS4 VPN app, in terms of ping reduction, lag & latency elimination and overall gaming experience. Following we have discovered the best VPN for PS4 that are successful in delivering cutting-edge online gaming experience on both PS4.
Note: All tests were performed on an intentionally throttled internet connection of 100Mbps speed. The tests were conducted from United States by connecting to servers located in different regions. Following we have described quick methods for PS4 VPN setup easily.
|Title||Ping||Recommended PS4 VPN App|
|Before Using VPN||After Using VPN|
|Battlefield 1||119 ms||70 ms|
PureVPN for $2.99
|Doom||150 ms||68 ms|
|Overwatch||173 ms||61 ms|
|Watch Dogs 2||156 ms||93 ms|
|Uncharted 4||198 ms||105 ms|
|Titanfall 2||170 ms||69 ms|
Best VPN for PlayStation 4 Free
Looking for VPN fun free? Well, before you start using one, I urge you to heed this word of warning. Many VPN providers operating under the “free” model are scams. They have no qualms about selling your information to ad agencies, bombarding your device with unsolicited ads, and even injecting malware in your PC.
However, there are a few trustworthy providers offering VPNs free. These are:
Windscribe is one of the most popular free VPN services you can find in the market. Free providers among the highest offer the 10GB/month bandwidth. It offers only a few server locations and is not very fast. So you can expect latency problems while playing online games on PS4. However, at zero-cost, there is not much to complain about Windscribe.
SecurityKISS is one of the few providers which you can obtain for free without even providing any personal credentials (e-mail, phone etc.) at all. This makes SecurityKISS a great option for users that value their privacy and security. If you are scared of hackers on PS4 gaming servers, SecurityKISS can be good defense mechanism.
Hide.me offers a 2GB/month bandwidth free. With this VPN, you can bypass restricted content with ease and benefit from its strong security protocols. As such, this is a great deal if you are looking for a zero-cost PS4 VPN and access servers otherwise inaccessible in your region.
How to Configure a VPN on PS4?
Setting up VPN on PS4 can be achieved by three methods. I have created an easy step-by-step tutorial explaining each of these methods. Using anyone of these approaches, you can configure a VPN on your gaming console in matter of seconds.
Note: For our setup guides, we will use PureVPN to demonstrate running PS4 on VPN.
Top three methods for PS4 VPN Setup are as follows:
Method 1 (Windows) Setup VPN on PS4 through Windows
Here is how to setup PS4 VPN through PC Windows.
- First, download and install one of the specified PS4 VPN services on your computer
- Launch VPN and connect to US server
- Now, use the crossover cable to connect PS4 with your computer
- Go to Control Panel of your system and click on Network and Sharing Center
- From left pane of window, select Change adapter settings
- Now, right-click on the icon of VPN you are using. And click on Properties
- In properties window, click on Sharing tab and mark enable option for Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- Now tap on drop-down menu of Home Networking Connection. And select a connection that you want to share with your console
- Next, click on OK
- Access XMB menu of PS4 and go to Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use a LAN Cable when asked and make sure to put connection method as Easy
- Next, tap on Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked
- Finally, proceed by accepting all the settings, select Test Connection and you’re done with setting up your PS4 VPN on Windows
Method 2 (Mac): PS4 VPN Setup through MAC
Besides windows, users can setup VPN on PS4 through MAC by following these simple steps:
- Choose from one of the mentioned PS4 services, download and install it on your Mac
- Use a crossover cable to connect PS4 with your system
- Now, from the bottom of screen, go to System Preferences>Sharing
- In Sharing page, click on Internet Sharing
- Click on drop-down menu of Share Your Connection From, and select a source of your internet connection i.e. either Ethernet, AirPort or Wireless
- Now, click on drop-down menu of To Computer Using and choose Ethernet
- Mark enable the check box next to Internet Sharing
- Next, the Internet Sharing icon will turn green and sharing will be started
- Access and log into VPN app on your Mac system, go to servers list and select a desired country to connect
- Now, from the XMB menu on your PS4, go to Settings>Network Settings>Setup Internet Connection
- Next, choose Use a LAN Cable when asked
- Choose connection method as
- Finally, click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server and proceed by accepting all settings. Make sure to perform Test Connection and you’re done with setting VPN on PS4 through Mac
Method 3 (Wi-Fi Router): How to use VPN on PS4 without PC (Through Wi-Fi Router)
If you want to run PS4 over VPN, here is the setup instructions using a Wi-Fi Router.
You can use either PS4 VPN through flashing Wi-Fi router. But will require a provider that supports Wi-Fi routers. Interestingly, PureVPN is among providers who support a range of Wi-Fi routers.
Here is how you can setup a VPN on PS4 through flash routers:
- Go to XMB menu of PS4 and select Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use Wi-Fi when asked
- Select connection method as Easy if asked
- Select your Wireless internet connection and enter your username & password
- Make sure to click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server
- Lastly, proceed by accepting all settings and click on Test Connection
Why do you need a PS4 VPN?
It is important to consider some factors before subscribing to a PS4 VPN. Amongst those factors, speed is of paramount importance. The one that has the fastest speed is the one to choose. However, and PS4 is used for multiple purposes. If streaming Netflix or other streaming services, then you must go with a VPN that offers dedicated Netflix servers.
PS4 Gaming VPN
If you use PlayStation for gaming purposes, then it is recommended that you should subscribe to a VPN that kills ping. For gamers, it is necessary that they should select PPTP protocol, which is amongst the fastest and reduces latency.
Moreover, Kill Ping is an impressive software for gamers. The purpose of this gaming app is to provide gamers a lag-free online gaming environment. Check out the Kill Ping review to find out more information in detail.
The last, but not the least factor is the money-back guarantee. You can always return to other VPN providers if you are dissatisfied with your current VPN services.
Amazing Benefits You Achieve With PS4 VPN
As soon as we connected to VPN, we experienced noticeable difference in online gaming. In addition, following are some the benefits of using the best PS4 VPN services that no gamer can overlook:
Reduce Ping, Latency Spikes & Lags
Nothing in this universe is as frustrating as compromising your favorite match due to frequent lags, latency spikes and frequent interruptions during online gaming. Although latency is an issue that is directly related to your Internet connection, a PS4 VPN can sometimes help the situation.
One method that sometimes works for reducing lag is to connect to a VPN server that is physically close the gaming server you are trying to play in. This can provide better ping than your regular Internet.
However, there is no guarantee that this method would always work. This is why it is a good idea to check out free trials of well-reputed VPNs for their ability to reduce pings before you decide to pay for one.
Get Netflix US Anywhere on PS4
Netflix US offers the library of shows and movies. Although Netflix is available in most parts of the world, regions other than the US only get a watered-down version with small catalog of content as compared to the US. If you use a PS4 VPN Netflix, you can easily gain access to the largest library of TV shows and movies available online on your gaming console.
Unblock Complete Amazon Prime Content on PS4
Like Netflix, Amazon Prime only offers limited content in different regions. Copyrights and licensing laws prevent the streaming service from offering the complete catalog of content everywhere. A PS4 VPN enables you to breakdown these regional barriers to the availability of content and gain access to the full library of shows.
Get Spotify on PS4
Spotify is music streaming service that is only available in 59 countries of the world. As a result, more than half of the world is unable to access to Spotify due to the problem of geo-restrictions. The PS4 is a complete entertainment system that you can use for movies, music, gaming, and pretty much everything else.
Geo-restrictions, however, can reduce the utility of your PS4 and prevent it from delivering the best experience to users.
This is where the value of VPN services becomes crystal clear, as they allow users to get around needless restrictions and unblock services like Spotify.
Be the First to Play Early Game Releases
Just like movies, PS4 games are released with different dates around the world. That said, majority of PS4 games are launched earlier in the Australian and Japanese regions than the US and UK.
But, with a PS4 VPN on your side, you have an edge over others by playing newly released game from anywhere. The above listed VPN services have more than hundreds of servers in prime regions of the world. They offer a range of locations to connect.
DDoS attack is a nightmare for any gamer. A victim of DDoS attack faces sudden system crashes, sluggish internet speed and worst online gaming experience. A DDoS attacker in first place identifies your IP address. Then it sends tons of useless files and junk to your system, destroying your online game play.
A PS4 VPN offers robust protection against DDOS attacks, so you enjoy a flawless online gaming experience without worrying about cyber threats.
What is a Proxy Server Address for PS4?
A proxy address for PS4 just works like another network address. You can assume the proxy as a hub that helps in processing internet exchange requests hassle-free.
Once you connect to any proxy server of your choice, your PS4 can start transmitting your communications with the server. Thus, you can access to region-blocked content accordingly.
How Can I Configure My PS4 to use Proxy Server?
The task of configuring PS4 to use proxy server is very simple. You just have to configure a proxy server on your Windows or Mac device. After successful configuration, you must note the IP address along with proxy server port.
Here is how you can do to achieve PS4 Proxy Server configuration:
- From the main menu, go to settings> network>setting up your network
- Choose connect to the internet> select your preferred connection method
- If you have opted Wi-Fi method, you should select your Wi-Fi method and enter the password
- Choose custom then select wireless connection you want to use
- Enter the Wi-Fi password, choose done and OK
- Leave the DHCP host name settings at Do Not Specify> leave DNS Settings on Automatic
- Leave MTU settings on Automatic then configure the proxy server
- Through proxy server, choose use
- On the proxy server page, mention the IP address of your system and the port number you have set on the proxy server
- You should click Next when you are done and then test proxy connection by saving the settings
How to Protect Yourself Against PSN Hacks?
Cyberattacks have perpetuated across the web. Even companies such as Yahoo, HBO, Tumblr has recorded criminal hacking in the past few years. With an increased number of cyberattacks, it has become necessary to protect yourself against hackers.
PSN came under massive criticism from users as various cyberattacks on service have victimized the users. The largest PSN hack was conducted in 2011 that left 77 million accounts compromised.
A simple measure to safeguard online privacy and security is to use a VPN for PlayStation 4. Every online user accessing the internet has an IP address. A VPN will make your IP encrypted, meaning that you will remain invisible to everyone else, but you.
Using a VPN for PS4 for Netflix Streaming
Netflix stands as a leading video streaming platform among the list of on-demand entertainment services. If you do not have a Netflix membership, sign up for one to stream blockbuster hit TV shows, movies, news and documentaries on PS4.
However, due to a content licensing & distribution agreement, geo-restrictions apply on Netflix global media libraries. It restricts fans from watching popular shows and movies in various regions. To evade restrictions, subscribers find above mentioned PS4 VPN services as suitable solutions for achieving one-click access to foreign Netflix.
PS4 Crash Exploit
Unfortunately, gaming fans are facing crashing issues while using their consoles. The said issue arises when users start sending messages to all other opponents. Moreover, the messages consist of data PS4 consoles do not know how to process.
In case you get this message in the form of notification, chances are that your game may be crashed. Similarly, your PS4 gets into a constant error loop. Thus, you cannot play your favorite games on PS4 as per your needs.
PS4 users should not lose all their hopes because I have a solution for this problem. If you want to overcome the said hassle, you will need to delete the message first. By doing so, you will bypass crashing issue to another level.
Still, you will have to play your PS4 in safe mode and rebuild the database. If you delete the message before your PlayStation starts experiencing boot problems, you do not need to perform the above said step.
FAQs about Netflix on PS4
We conducted a survey and discovered various queries regarding Netflix setup on PS4. Following are the most frequently asked questions of users along with simple and straight forward solutions.
Setting up Netflix on PS4 is a plain three steps procedure. Just follow these simple steps to begin using Netflix on PS4:
- Power on your console, log into your PS4 account and go to Home screen>TV & Video Section>Netflix
- Next, you will be presented with Netflix home screen. Sign into your Netflix account
- Finally, watch your favorite shows, movies, documentaries, news and more media PS4
In case you want to access foreign libraries, use a Netflix VPN for PS4. As soon as you’re connected to VPN, you will be able to stream leading-edge Netflix shows and movies that were previously unavailable for you.
Here’s how can sign out of Netflix on PS4:
- Access Netflix app
- Hit O (Circle) button on your DualShock 4 controller
- Choose Gear icon
- Lastly, select Sign Out and choose Yes
Here is how you can manually change DNS on PS4. You can select any specific server to connect. We have chosen Google’s server in this case:
- Power on your console and go to Settings>Network>Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose WiFi/LAN for your connection and choose Custom
- Make following changes in settings:
– IP Address Settings as Automatic
– DHCP Host Name as Do Not Specify
– DNS Settings as Manual
– Primary DNS as 126.96.36.199
– Secondary DNS as 188.8.131.52
- MTU Settings as Automatic
- Proxy Server as Do Not Use
Yes, you can use VPN on PS4 by using any of the three methods specified above. You can use a PC, Laptop, Mac or flash a router to use VPN on PS4.
You can connect a PS4 into any LED TV through an HDMI cable. However, your LED TV should have an HDMI slot that you can use to achieve your objective. Furthermore, you must use HDMI cable available with the PlayStation.
The task of reducing the ping on your PS4 is not much difficult. You can connect your PS4 to LAN instead of W-LAN through a gigabit cable. You can also opt a gaming VPN which I have mentioned above that reduce ping to a certain degree.
The world of video games is far too fascinating to allow any compromises on gameplay. This is why you should use the best PS4 VPN and unlock the full potential of the console for an exciting overall experience.
I hope this guide offered some helpful tips. Feel free to drop a comment below and share your feedback.