If you’re wondering, ‘can I watch DStv in New Zealand?‘ as you travel outside of the country, then yes, you can! However, you’ll need to use a reputable VPN to bypass DStv’s geo-restrictions. Have no clue what we’re talking about? You might want to read on.
Digital Satellite Television, or DStv Now, is among the largest media streaming services globally and the dominant direct TV provider in Africa. You can watch hit TV shows like Legacy, Ultimate Love, Reyka, and even One Deadly Mistake.
That said, similar to other VoD services like Hulu and Netflix, South Africa DStv offers amazing live TV and box office show only in South Africa and some other Sub-Saharan countries. That’s why you need a South African IP address in New Zealand to watch DStv in New Zealand. So, follow our lead as we guide you to end your search for this cause.
Quick Steps: How to Watch DStv Now in New Zealand
Follow these steps to watch DStv online in New Zealand:
- Look up a VPN that can unblock DStv in New Zealand (We recommend ExpressVPN).
- Register for an account, download, and install the VPN app on your preferred device.
- Launch the app and connect to the South African server.
- Visit DStv Now and enjoy your favorite shows on DStv in New Zealand!
Jump straight to learn:
DStv Pricing Plan | Sign up for DStv | FAQs
Why do you need a VPN to access DStv in New Zealand?
You need a VPN to access DStv in New Zealand because DStv is a geo-restricted site and cannot be accessed in New Zealand. Much like other video-on-demand providers like Hulu, Netflix, and others, DStv cannot air content due to licensing rights.
As a result, if you try and access DStv Now from in New Zealand, you may face DStv Now not working error, or you’ll come across this error message as DStv detects your actual IP address:
“Sorry, DStv Now isn’t available in your region.”
To overcome this geo-restriction block and access South Africa DStv Now in New Zealand, you will need the assistance of the best VPN for South Africa For Kiwi Users.
Best VPN for DStv to watch in New Zealand [In-Depth Analysis]
Let’s look at the three best VPNs in depth to unblock DStv in New Zealand:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN to Watch DStv in New Zealand
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries, including South Africa
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Five simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for accessing DStv in New Zealand. This VPN provider has continued to serve as one of the most popular VPN providers in the industry because it offers so much for online purposes such as streaming DStv, gaming, unblocking, and data protection. Thus, making it the best VPN for DStv in New Zealand.
ExpressVPN server network consists of 3000+ servers in 94 countries, including South African servers located in Johannesburg. Using ExpressVPN’s South Africa server, we could stream multiple episodes of Ultimate Love in 4k ultra HD.
While you can easily access DStv overseas, you’d also bypass geo-restrictions of other streaming channels such as Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ using ExpressVPN in New Zealand, and more.
ExpressVPN also offers a smart DNS proxy service called “MediaStreamer” that allows you to access different streaming platforms on devices that are not user-friendly with VPN configuration. These devices include Samsung Smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, and router. It is a great choice for beginner VPN users owing to its easy-to-use apps.
On our ExpressVPN speed test in New Zealand, we received a download speed of 89.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 84.64 Mbps on a base 100 Mbps connection.
We faced no issues setting up ExpressVPN on Android TV in New Zealand, Roku, FireStick, and multiple other devices, as the VPN offers 5 simultaneous connections without affecting the speed of each device.
Capable of providing the best security and privacy features, ExpressVPN offers AES 256-bit encryption, split tunneling, a no-logs policy, a threat manager, a kill switch, and many others. While streaming DStvin New Zealand, we checked the VPN for IP and DNS leaks and found our IP address was well-hidden.
ExpressVPN is available for only NZ$10.98/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan). To test its features, you can try ExpressVPN’s free trial in New Zealand for mobile users. We sure enjoyed using it on our mobile phones. In case of any issues, you may reach out to ExpressVPN’s 24/7 available customer support.
To learn more about this provider, check out our ExpressVPN review in New Zealand.
- Fast servers to watch DStv in New Zealand without any buffering
- Live chat available around the clock
- No logging of users’ data
- Strong security and privacy features
- A bit expensive compared to other VPN providers
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to watch DStv
- 3200+ servers in 100 countries, including South Africa
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Infinite simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN to watch DStv, as it costs just NZ$ 3.78/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan). Operating from the British Virgin Islands, this VPN service quickly established its reputation as one of the market’s most affordable and budget-friendly VPN services.
Surfshark’s server network consists of 3200+ servers in 100 countries, with several servers located in South Africa. We used Surfshark’s South Africa server to watch multiple seasons of Survivor without any buffering.
It’s a super affordable option that allowed us to bypass DStv geographical restrictions and even opened the doors to several other streaming services such as Disney+ Hotstar, Vudu, Voot, CBC, CraveTV, HBO Max using Surfshark in New Zealand, and many more.
In terms of the Surfshark speed test in New Zealand, its servers are really fast, capable of offering up to 81.32 Mbps download speed and 76.12 upload speed on a 100 Mbps connection.
Surfshark’s ability to support unlimited simultaneous connections on a single account has been the most prominent highlight of this service. Meaning you can use Surfshark on your Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and many other devices. We set up Surfshark on Firestick in New Zealand, router, Linux, Samsung Smart TV, PS4, Xbox, and many more without any hindrances.
In terms of security, Surfshark has amazing features. These include MultiHop, AES 256-bit encryption, NoBorders mode, CleanWeb, no-logs, Whitelister, kill switch, and many more.
Every Surfshark premium subscription comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Surfshark really is the 2nd best VPN for watching DStv in New Zealand. In fact, you may also use Surfshark’s free trial in New Zealand to use the VPN on mobile phones.
Read our Surfshark review in New Zealand for more details.
- Budget-friendly prices
- Capable of unblocking DStv along with other South African streaming sites
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- For iOS, split tunneling is not supported
- Occasional slow speeds
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network VPN to watch DStv
- 5500+ servers in 60 countries, including 50+ servers in South Africa
- SmartPlay, Double VPN
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 6 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN has the largest server network VPN to watch DStv. It boasts a network of 5500+ servers in 60 countries, including 50+ in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Using one of NordVPN’s South African servers, we unblocked DStv within a minute to binge-watch The River in HD without any buffering:
In addition to DStv content, we could also access various other streaming services such as Paramount+, HBO Max, Funimation, Crunchyroll, Yupp TV, Netflix with NordVPN in New Zealand, and more in 4K-Ultra HD and HD video quality.
During the NordVPN speed test in New Zealand, we got an average download speed of 83.82 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.64 Mbps on our 100 Mbps internet connection:
A single NordVPN account can support six simultaneous connections. This means you can simultaneously set up NordVPN on your Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and Linux. Furthermore, we found it was quite easy to use NordVPN on PS4 in New Zealand and even work with Xbox in New Zealand.
Apart from unblocking sites, NordVPN is also a great tool for online privacy as it features a NordVPN kill switch in New Zealand, AES 256-bit encryption, obfuscated servers, DNS leak protection, CyberSec (adblocker), Double VPN, and split tunneling are also available.
NordVPN is available for just NZ$6.57/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) price tag with a 30-day money-back guarantee. We had the most amazing time testing NordVPN’s free trial in New Zealand for mobile users and would highly recommend everyone else to give it a try in case you’re dubious about the VPN.
Streaming DStv with the highest quality video experience is never too difficult with NordVPN. This provider is our third-best option for watching DStv in New Zealand.
Learn more about this VPN through our NordVPN review in New Zealand.
- Largest server network
- Reliably unblocks DStv in New Zealand and other streaming sites
- Six simultaneous connections
- Credible security features
- Windows app needs work on its responsiveness
How much DStv Packages Cost in New Zealand?
DStv offers a variety of packages for its users. You may pick any package from the following:
|Package||Price (ZAR)||Price (NZD)|
How to sign up for DStv free service in New Zealand?
You can sign up for DStv free service in New Zealand by following the steps given below:
- Subscribe and download a premium VPN service like ExpressVPN.
- Connect to any South African server.
- Go to DStv’s website and click on Sign In.
- On the Sign In page, click ‘Sign Up Now.’
- Type in all the required details and click ‘Create an Account.’
- If you have a DStv subscription, provide the required details; otherwise, click on Skip.
- Select a profile name and a picture to complete the procedure.
- Enjoy watching DStv in New Zealand!
How to watch DStv in New Zealandon your device
You can watch DStv in New Zealand on any of your devices by following the steps given below accordingly.
For Android users
Follow the steps given below to download DStv on your Android device:
- Download and install a VPN app on your Android device (We recommend ExpressVPN).
- Connect to the South Africa server.
- Go to Google Play Store –> click Account –> Add Another Account.
- Enter New Gmail ID with South Africa as your region.
- Go to Play Store and search for the DStv app –> Click to download.
- You can watch DStv in New Zealand on your Android device.
For iOS users
Follow the steps given below to download DStv on your iOS device:
- Download and install a VPN app on your iOS device (We recommend ExpressVPN).
- Connect to a South African server.
- Go to App Store –> click Apple ID.
- Go to Country/ Region and change it to South Africa.
- Go to App Store and search for the DStv app –> Click to download.
- The DStv app is now installed on your iOS device.
For Roku users
Follow the steps given below to download DStv on your Roku device:
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app and connect your Wi-Fi router to it.
- Now, connect to a South African server.
- Use the HDMI port to insert the Roku stick into your smart TV.
- Turn on Roku, select DStv from the homepage, and you’re done!
- Enjoy watching DStv in New Zealandon your Roku device!
What does DStv Library offer in New Zealand?
DStv’s Library offers a huge amount of content acquired from various sources. You can watch sports, TV shows, movies, and much more. Here are some of the best titles we’ve enjoyed watching on DStv in New Zealand:
- The River
- The Real Housewives of Johannesburg
- Survivor South Africa
- Date My Family
- Temptation Island
- Knuckle City
- Breaking In
- Second Act
FAQs – DStv in New Zealand
Is it illegal to use a VPN to watch DStv in New Zealand?
No, it is not illegal to use a VPN to watch DStv in New Zealand unless it is forbidden in your region to use one. Most of the time, VPNs are considered safe, and their use is widely accepted as they safeguard user privacy. Since using a VPN isn’t unlawful, it prevents users from pirating content.
Can I watch DStv in New Zealand?
Yes, you can watch DStv in New Zealand, but only if you connect to a South African server and use a South African IP address. Because DStv will check your IP address and recognize it as located within the region. Hence, you’ll be able to bypass the geo-restrictions and watch shows and movies provided by DStv’s content library.
We’d suggest you use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN instead of using a free VPN for DStv Now, as they only invite trouble and do not serve their actual purpose of unblocking DStv.
How to watch live sport on DStv Now in New Zealand?
By installing the app on your tablet, Android or Apple TV, and smartphone, you can watch live sports on DStv Now in New Zealand. You can view the live sport on any gaming system after setting it up.
Let’s just set one thing straight, DStv Now is amazing. It offers content that’s on par with Hulu and costs slightly less than it too.
If you already own a DStv Now subscription or can borrow it from someone, there’s no point why shouldn’t you use it in New Zealand. Just make sure to connect to a reliable VPN such as ExpressVPN, and you will obtain endless entertainment without any restrictions.
If you hurry up, you can avail of ExpressVPN’s limited-time “12 months + 3 months FREE” subscription that comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee to watch DStv in New Zealand without any issues!