NordVPN is one of the most widely used VPN apps in the market. However, the app tends to give problems every now and and you might find NordVPN not working for you. The good thing is that the issues are pretty easy to fix but if you don’t know the first thing about fixing things, you’ll quickly get frustrated.
You can always reach out to customer support of the provider who will be more than happy to help you get your problem fixed as soon as possible.
But before you do that, you first try doing the following steps which will probably resolve your problem in 90% of the cases.
If you have already tried these tips and still can’t get NordVPN to working, you can look into PureVPN, which is a very affordable alternative to NordVPN with similar capabilities.
Without further ado, let’s dive into the tips you can apply to fix the problem of your VPN not working:
Unable to Connect to NordVPN
Here are a few solutions to try when you find NordVPN not connecting:
1. Trying different server locations
NordVPN has a huge selection of servers available in over 59 countries of the world. In some cases, connection problems stem from a few bad servers that may actually be down from the provider’s end.
So, if NordVPN is not connecting to server, try using a different location. If it works, then this means that your problem is only an isolated issue with a single or few servers and will probably be fixed by the company soon. Meanwhile, you can use another server that is closest to the one you prefer.
2. Checking for active subscription
Sometimes unsuccessful payments lead to cancellation of user subscription without even you realizing it. Make sure that your subscription is still active and that your last payment was successful.
To do this, log in to your NordVPN account and see if your account status reads “Active”. If not, you will have to contact customer support and tell them about your problem to have it resolved.
3. Resetting the app
NordVPN not connecting on Windows 10 but was working fine until a couple of days ago? A simple app reset can fix the problem in many cases.
Here’s how you can reset your NordVPN Windows app:
- Open your NordVPN app > click Settings
- Scroll down to find Advanced Settings > Run Diagnostics Tool
- A new window will open with the “Reset app” tab. Click on it
Once you click reset, NordVPN will restore default settings. Try connecting to servers and the issue should be resolved.
NordVPN not connecting on Mac? Try the resetting process. Here’s how it works on Mac:
- Shut down NordVPN by right-clicking it in the Dock and clicking Quit
- Open Terminal and run the following commands:
- defaults delete com.nordvpn.osx-apple(if you got the app from App Store)
- defaults delete com.nordvpn.osx (if you got the app from NordVPN official website)
This will restore your NordVPN Mac app to default settings.
4. Disable/Re-enable TAP Adapter
On Windows 7 onwards to Windows 10, some error messages and connectivity issues can be resolved with this NordVPN TAP Aadpter disable/re-enable trick.
Here’s how it works on Windows 10:
- Shut down NordVPN.
- Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings.
- Right-click TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter > Disable.
- Once disabled, double click the Adapter to enable it again.
- Launch NordVPN and try connecting to a server
Image Credit: NordVPN
Still no luck? Try the next tip.
5. Resetting Windows Network Settings
If nothing else has worked for you yet, it’s time to go a little more drastic by flushing your DNS and resetting your IPv4 and IPv6 settings.
Follow the steps below to get this done:
- Type “cmd” in the search box to open up Command Prompt
- Now type in the following commands, pressing Enter after each
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh interface ipv4 reset
- netsh interface ipv6 reset
- netsh winsock reset catalog
- netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
- netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
Restart your computer and try connecting to NordVPN again.
Finally, if none of the other methods worked for you, try logging out of NordVPN and then logging into the app again. Some users have reported successful fixes with this trick.
If this still doesn’t work for you, then the last resort is to perform fresh installation of the NordVPN app on your device. Reach out to the official customer support if that also fails to work for you.
NordVPN Issues and Fixes for Specific Situations
Here are some services, devices, and platforms that NordVPN is often reported to exhibit problems with and their quick fixes:
NordVPN not Working with Netflix
NordVPN is one of the best choices available for accessing geo-blocked Netflix content. However, cache and DNS issues can prevent you from unblocking Netflix even when using the right NordVPN servers for the job.
Try the following steps to fix NordVPN problems Netflix:
- Clear your browser cache.
- Restart NordVPN app
- Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings > Right-click TAP-NordVPN > Properties
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then press the Properties button
- Now click on “Use the following DNS server addresses and enter these values in the two boxes below:
- Follow the same steps as above to enter the same DNS addresses in your physical TAP adapter.
- Restart your computer.
After rebooting, launch NordVPN and connect to a server from a region whose Netflix content you want to see and visit Netflix’s website. You should now be able to access it without any problems. For more details, see this article on NordVPN for Netflix.
NordVPN not working in China
NordVPN’s official website and download links are blocked in China. Nonetheless, it is one few VPNs that works in China (though a little inconsistently).
If you’re traveling to China, make sure you download and subscribe to NordVPN before moving. Once in China, you should use the Obfuscated servers of NordVPN which can help defeat the Great Firewall of China.
NordVPN not working with Amazon Prime
If you can’t access Amazon Prime Video with NordVPN, there’s actually a very simple trick that fixes the issue in a lot of the cases.
It involves turning on the Double VPN feature in the following way:
- Open the server list on the sidebar and click Filter.
- Under “specialty servers” click on Double VPN.
- Select a server combination depending on your preferred location for Amazon Prime Video access.
For iOS and Android users, NordVPN officially recommends the following servers for access to different Amazon Prime regions:
- For US region: Servers US # 4896-4899, 4904-4919, 4941
- For FR region: Server FR# FR #457-460, 473-476, 485-492
NordVPN not working with Hulu
There are numerous Hulu-compatible servers in NordVPN’s network, but some of these might not be effective sometimes.
NordVPN officially recommends a specific US servers that are mostly able to unblock Hulu. The provider itself recommends the following servers for Hulu:
NordVPN not working with Mac
If you’re experiencing problems getting NordVPN to work on your Mac, you should check that your account is still active. Assuming that your account is still active, try resetting the app as described above. In many cases, resetting gets NordVPN working again for MacOS users.
NordVPN not working with iPhone
Most issues with NordVPN’s iPhone app can be resolved by reinstalling the app:
- Delete the NordVPN app from your device.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Reinstall the app.
- Log into NordVPN with your credentials and try connecting to a server.
The re-installation process will reset NordVPN to default settings which can get the app working properly on your iPhone once again.
Tried everything and still no luck? It just might be the right time for you to switch over to another VPN. . For instance, here’s how NordVPN compares to PureVPN, a highly affordable VPN with premium features:
|Servers||2,000+ in 140 countries||5,000+ in 59+ countries|
|Customer Support||24/7 live chat & email support||24/7 live chat & email support|
|Logging Policy||Zero logs||Zero logs|
NordVPN is a one of the biggest brands in VPN industry, but even this service isn’t free from bugs and errors that can annoy users endlessly. The above fixes can resolve NordVPN issues in many cases, so definitely give these a try and let us know in the comments below which method worked for you.
Failing all else, you can always choose an alternative service such as PureVPN.
If you want to learn more about NordVPN, check this review.