Residing in Netherlands and want to watch some popular content titles like Secrets of the Six Wives, Unforgotten, or Sanditon? Unfortunately, these titles are available on PBS, a broadcasting service available only in the US.
To access it in Netherlands, you’d require a reliable VPN. ExpressVPN is our top choice for PBS in Netherlands.
The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is an American public broadcasting service offering multiple popular TV programs including Victoria, Guilt, and Downton Abbey, that you can stream anytime you like.
However, PBS is geo-restricted and only available inside the US. Trying to access PBS or PBS Kids in Netherlands would result in an error message saying:
“We’re sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to rights restrictions.”
So, to access PBS in Netherlands, you’d require a VPN service. We tested 40+ VPNs on multiple factors. Out of them, ExpressVPN remained our top recommendation to watch PBS in Netherlands due to its 23+ US servers, robust security features, and amazing speeds.
How to Watch PBS in Netherlands [5 Easy Steps]
Follow these 5 simple steps to watch PBS in Netherlands:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN service (ExpressVPN is our top choice).
- Download its app on your device.
- Launch the VPN app and log in using your username and password.
- Connect to a US server (ExpressVPN’s Chicago server is super fast).
- Visit the PBS website and stream your favorite content in Netherlands.
3 Best VPNs to Watch PBS in Netherlands [Updated 2023]
Here is a brief overview of the best VPN to watch PBS in Netherlands:
- ExpressVPN – The Best VPN to Watch PBS in Netherlands. Offers 3000+ servers worldwide with various servers in 25 US locations. Capable of offering super-fast speeds of 80 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. Available at EUR 6.21/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) on its annual plan with a 3-month free subscription. Also offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee and 5 multi-logins.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to Watch PBS. Available at an affordable price of EUR 2.14/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) and comes with a risk-free 30-day refund policy. Offers 3200+ servers worldwide with 600+ servers in 23+ US cities. Capable of offering super-fast speeds of 79 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. Offers unlimited multi-logins.
- NordVPN – The Fastest VPN to Watch PBS. Capable of offering blazing-fast speeds of 82.79 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. Offers 5200+ servers worldwide with 1970+ American servers in 15 US cities. Available at EUR 3.72/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) and comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee and 6 multi-logins.
The Best VPNs to Watch PBS in Netherlands [In-Depth Analysis]
Want to watch PBS in Netherlands? Well, don’t worry. We tested 40+ VPN services for you on the basis of unblocking capabilities, US servers, speeds, and compatibility. Out of these, these 3 VPNs are the best ones for streaming PBS:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN to Watch PBS in Netherlands
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to watch the PBS website in Netherlands. This VPN offers fantastic speeds, unblocking capabilities, and security on its US servers, making itself the best all-rounder VPN for PBS in Netherlands.
ExpressVPN offers multiple US servers in 25 locations in America. We connected to its New York server and tried unblocking PBS in our country. Using this VPN, we were able to access PBS within 3 minutes.
We then started watching America’s Test Kitchen using ExpressVPN and enjoyed multiple episodes of the show in HD quality and with no signs of buffering.
This amazing service led us to conduct an ExpressVPN speed test in Netherlands on its New York server, delivering super-fast speeds of 80 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. So, we got curious and tested multiple other US servers of ExpressVPN.
Here are the US servers of ExpressVPN that we highly recommend with their speeds and playback quality:
|ExpressVPN Recommended Servers||Speed Test Result||Video Playback Quality|
|Washington DC||79.87 Mbps||HD|
|San Francisco||82.56 Mbps||HD|
ExpressVPN offers one-click connectivity on all its apps and is compatible with almost every device, including iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, FireStick, Smart TVs, and more. We set up ExpressVPN on our router in Netherlands, which also worked great.
Along with 5 multi-logins, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and various other features, this VPN offers a price of only EUR 6.21/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan). If you use a smartphone, you can benefit from a 7-day ExpressVPN free trial in Netherlands.
Learn more about this VPN in our detailed ExpressVPN review in Netherlands.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to Watch PBS
Surfshark is a great budget-friendly VPN to watch PBS. This VPN offers a super-reliable and efficient service while costing only EUR 2.14/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).
Surfshark offers 600+ servers in the United States. We tried connecting to its Chicago server and unblocking PBS within 5 minutes which was great.
With no signs of buffering and consistent HD-quality streaming, we enjoyed multiple shows using Surfshark. We also conducted a Surfshark speed test in Netherlands, and the VPN gave off an average speed of 79 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Like ExpressVPN, we tested some US servers of this VPN as well. Here are the three recommended US servers of Surfshark to watch PBS in Netherlands:
|Surfshark Recommended Servers||Speed Test Results||Video Playback Quality|
|New York||77.54 Mbps||HD|
|Los Angeles||76 Mbps||HD|
The best thing about Surfshark is that it offers unlimited simultaneous connections to users. This means that you can connect Surfshark to as many devices as you like. We tried using Surfshark with FireStick in Netherlands and enjoyed multiple PBS titles on a bigger screen. You can also get a Philippines IP address in Netherlands with Surfshark VPN by unblocking so many streaming services like Filipino On Demand, GMA Pinoy TV, and GMA Life TV.
Lastly, Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so users can test out all the features. In case you don’t like the service, you can just cancel your Surfshark subscription in Netherlands and ask for a refund.
Go through our detailed Surfshark review in Netherlands for further details.
3. NordVPN – The Fastest VPN to Watch PBS
NordVPN is the fastest VPN to watch the PBS website. This VPN boasts 1970+ servers in the US. With such a wide server network, you will never have to face connectivity issues with NordVPN in Netherlands.
We connected to its server in Denver and tried unblocking PBS. We became successful in accessing it within 2 minutes, which was pretty cool.
Then, we started streaming Indian Summers using this VPN and enjoyed the entire season with super-fast speeds and in HD. Due to such amazing speeds, we conducted a NordVPN speed test in Netherlands. On our 100 Mbps connection, the VPN delivered a blazing-fast speed of 82.79 Mbps.
Looking at such great speeds, we tested a few other servers of NordVPN as well. Here are the three recommended US servers of NordVPN to stream PBS:
|Recommended Servers||Speed Test Results||Video Playback Quality|
|San Francisco||80 Mbps||HD|
NordVPN offers 6 multi-logins to users and compatibility with all popular devices, including iOS, Windows, Android, FireStick, Roku, Kodi, and more.
You can get this fast VPN service at a price of just EUR 3.72/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) along with a 30-day money-back guarantee to users. You can always cancel your NordVPN subscription in Netherlands if you feel that the service is not for you. Go through our NordVPN review in Netherlands for more details.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch PBS in Netherlands?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for streaming PBS in Netherlands. However, there is no guarantee it would work due to various reasons.
First, most free VPNs cannot bypass geo-restrictions and fail to unblock sites. Let’s say you find a free VPN in Netherlands that works with PBS, but you will not be able to use it. Free VPNs only offer a limited bandwidth as low as 500 MB per month, which is very low for streaming.
Along with that, these free services offer a limited number of servers that are crowded with users, thus delivering extremely slow speeds. With a free VPN, you will experience constant buffering and lags.
Similarly, a study revealed that almost 40% of the free VPNs were found to leak data, thus violating users’ right to privacy. Most free VPNs also make money by using ads, so be prepared to see intrusive ads and popups every 30 seconds or more if you are lucky.
These are some of the few reasons why you should just stick to premium, paid VPN services. Most VPNs like ExpressVPN offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can use it free of cost for 30 days to watch PBS in Netherlands and cancel anytime.
How to Create a PBS Account in Netherlands?
Follow these steps to create a PBS account in Netherlands:
1. Get ExpressVPN and connect to its US server.
2. Visit the PBS website and click on Sign In.
3. Choose your preferred sign-in method.
4. Then, verify your account, and you’re good to go!
On What Devices Can I Watch PBS in Netherlands?
You can stream PBS in Netherlands on the following devices:
- Android (phones, laptops, tablets, TV)
- Apple TV (3rd gen and 4th gen)
- iOS (iPhone and iPad)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Samsung TV
- Smart TV
- Xbox One
How to Watch PBS in Netherlands on Devices
You can enjoy PBS’s content titles on a variety of devices. Here are the setup guides to watch PBS in Netherlands on Android and iOS:
How to Watch PBS in Netherlands on Android
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN and install its app from the Google Play Store.
- Log in and connect to a US server.
- Go to the Google Play Store again and search for PBS.
- Install the PBS app from there.
- Create an account and watch PBS on Android easily.
How to Watch PBS in Netherlands on iOS
- Change your App Store region to the US using this link.
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN, download its app on your device, and log in with your credentials.
- Connect to a US server.
- Go to the App Store and search for PBS.
- Install the PBS app on your iOS device.
- Open the app, log in, and enjoy.
What Can I Watch on PBS in Netherlands?
Here are some of the most popular shows and movies that you can watch on PBS in Netherlands with a VPN:
- Finding your Roots
- World on Fire
- Downton Abbey
- The Great British Baking Show
- American Experience
What is PBS Kids?
PBS Kids is a children’s network offering TV programs, games, and fun activities for kids. Some of the shows it offers include the following:
- Sesame Street
- The Cat in the Hat
- Elinor Wonders Why
- Molly of Denali
- Curious George
- Dinosaur Train
- Hero Elementary
- Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum
- Pinkalicious and Peterrific
FAQs – Watch PBS in Netherlands
Can I watch PBS on my computer in Netherlands?
Yes, you can watch PBS on your computer or laptop v with a VPN. You can also watch PBS online on your laptop on the browser, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
Can I watch PBS on Netflix in Netherlands?
PBS offers a free online streaming site for viewers, but you cannot watch it on Netflix America. However, some of the most famous PBS shows are available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
How do I watch PBS on my Smart TV in Netherlands?
Follow these steps to watch PBS on your Smart TV in Netherlands:
- Configure a VPN on your router, pick a US server and connect it to your Smart TV.
- Turn on your TV and click Home Button.
- From the Home Screen, select Apps.
- Click the Magnifying Glass icon and search for PBS > Install the app.
- Go to Home Screen and open the app > Now, you will see an activation code.
- Copy the code and go to www.pbs.org/activate and enter your code.
- Select Continue, and now you will be asked to sign in. That’s it. Now you can watch PBS in Netherlands on your Smart TV.
How can I watch PBS shows online in Netherlands?
You can now watch PBS shows online in Netherlands on its official website: www.pbs.org OR you can download its app on your device and watch PBS online in Netherlands. But keep in mind, you will need a VPN to watch PBS online in Netherlands. ExpressVPN is our top choice to watch PBS in Netherlands.
Is PBS no longer free in Netherlands?
No, Users can watch PBS for free on its station sites like pbs.org/video or through the PBS app. You can download its app and watch PBS for free on iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Samsung TV, Apple TV, and more.
There you have it. Now you know how to watch your favorite American shows on PBS . All you need to do is get a reliable VPN service and enjoy infamous PBS content titles like Victoria, World on Fire, and Frontline easily.
We highly recommend using ExpressVPN to watch PBS in Netherlands. This VPN offers 23+ US servers, great unblocking capabilities, robust security, and amazing speeds for users. It has also secured the number one Spot on our Best VPN for PBS in Netherlands Review as well.
Furthermore, ExpressVPN also offers a fantastic 3-month free subscription on its annual plan, offering users its premium service for 15 months straight.
If you have any queries, you can let us know in the comments below.