If you happen to stream the latest media content without compromising on your online activity, or wanting to unblock geo-restricted content, you need nothing other than a VPN. In this guide, we have provided all you need to know on how to install and configure LibreELEC VPN.
What is LibreELEC?
LibreELEC, the Just Enough OS for Kodi is a slightly complicated platform than other Kodi platforms because of its non-Kodi GUI. However, once you are accustomed to some basic Linux commands, you’re ought to do very well with installing software like VPN or repositories.
Kodi is accessible to almost every device and that can be achieved with very little system resources. In order to run Kodi, it is required to have an operating system. LibreELEC makes it easier to installing all those software that are required to run Kodi.
5 Best VPNs of 2018
There are many VPNs out there, but it requires thorough assessment and testing after it makes it to the best VPN for LibreELEC. Here we is list of these VPNs where you can subscribe:
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 73% Off |
Exclusive Discount 73% Off
| 75% Off |
3 Years Plan
| 83% Off |
2 Years Deal
| 73% Off |
6 months Free
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
PureVPN is the perfect match for LibreELEC, because it has a specific LibreELEC VPN addon. It has the highest VPN encryption i.e. 256-bit encryption that keeps your online privacy secure when streaming Kodi or other apps. Further, it is easier to setup and streams flawlessly without lagging.
How to Install VPN on LibreELEC with PureVPN
Step 1: First, you need to subscribe to PureVPN from table provided above
Step 2: Now download PureVPN Zip File and save it on your system
Step 3: Launch Kodi > Go to Add-ons > Then select Box icon at the top
Step 4: Click on Install from Zip File > Upload the zip file from your system that you installed recently
Step 5: Wait for the repository to install > Now go back to Kodi Home
Step 6: Select Add-ons > Then Program Add-ons > Click on PureVPN
Step 7: Enter Username and Password > Select server > Hit Connect
What makes NordVPN as a preferred choice for LibreELEC is its double VPN encryption. LibreELEC NordVPN not only gets you to access geo-restricted video content on Kodi, but also keeps your identity anonymous from your ISP. It has over 5100+ servers and access to internet with no limits.
Surfshark is a British Virgin Island service currently offering its services in 50 countries through 500+ servers. You can install this VPN service on your Libreelec device and access your favorite media content securely and anonymously.
CyberGhost is another online privacy service that offers a dedicated Libreelec VPN client for their users. This way, you are able to watch your favorite media content be it movies, TV shows, and other stuff hassle-free.
ExpressVPN LibreELEC may be the most expensive VPN around amongst the list, but it is for a very good reason. ExpressVPN brings you the most strongest of VPN encryption, but most importantly it lets you stream video content outside your country region. It keeps your online activity anonymous and that is important when having a VPN.
How to Install VPN For LibreELEC
Since LibreELEC is a Linus distribution, you won’t be able to download a VPN directly. Therefore, we will be using a Kodi add-on i.e. VPN Manager for OpenVPN. This add-on can be found in the Zomboided Repository. We’ll be using PureVPN as an example throughout our installation process, you can choose whichever VPN you desire.
Installing Zomboided Repository
Installing a repository is not as easy as you might think in LibreELEC. We would need to connect your system via another computer using the Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol.
Step 1: First, you need to download PuTTY. You can download the file based on your system requirement. This SSH client will make it easier for you to connect with other devices on a network
Step 2: Open PuTTY when you have installed > Ensure that your Connection type is set to SSH
Step 3: Open LibreELEC device > Select Settings (Gear-icon) at the top menu > Then cick on System Settings
Step 4: Select the Add-ons tab on the left menu > Enable Unknown Sources
Step 5: Go back again to Settings > Now select System Information > Here you will see the IP address in the device you’re using
Step 6: Enter this IP address into the Host Name option provide in PuTTY > Select Open button that should be present at the bottom of the screen.
Step 7: A box will appear which will ask you to log in > The default LibreELEC’s login is ‘root’ while the password is ‘libreelec’
Step 8: Once you are connected, Enter the text wget https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/archive/master.zip
Step 9: Click on the Add-ons tab located on the Home Screen in the LibreELEC device > Tap on the Box-icon > Then Install from Zip File
Configuring the VPN for LibreELEC
Step 10: Click on the Home Folder > Select the zip file i.e. master.zip > Give time for the VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on to install
Step 11: Now we need to configure the VPN before using it > Go to your Home Screen on Kodi > Click on Add-ons > Then Program Add-ons > Right-click on the VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on > Click on Settings
Step 12: Choose you VPN provider from the list > Enter your PureVPN credentials > Go to VPN Connections tab > Choose the VPN server > Now press OK to connect > Now stream anything you desire
How to Test your VPN For LibreELEC
To check whether you have configured VPN correctly, you can follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Go to your Home Screen > Click on Add-ons > Then Install from Repository
Step 2: Find Kodi Add-on Repository from the list and click on it > Select Video Add-ons > Then scroll down to select iPlayer WWW > Hit Install
Step 3: Now roll back to Kodi Home Screen > Click on Add-ons > Video Add-ons > iPlayer WWW
Step 4: This is an official BBC add-on which remains to be geo-restricted unless you are located in UK > Change your server to a UK server before streaming any content from this add-on. If it streams for you, then it is likely that your VPN has been configured.
How Can I Setup VPN for Libreelec on Raspberry Pi?
The Libreelec VPN setup procedure is simple and does not need any rocket science. Here is the list of steps you should follow to achieve your mission:
- You will have to connect to Libreelec device through SSH protocol first
- Download configuration files to configure VPN file to your Libreelec device
- For this, you can download files then you may use a USB to copy the files
- You can download files on to your device directly through Secure Shell (SSH)
- Open Kodi>Settings>System Information> Network
- Note down your IP address of Libreelec device and your SSH through using SSH client
- You can opt Putty an advanced tool that allows you to access another computer
- Once you have installed Putty on your device, you can enter IP address into the field where it says ‘Host Name’ and click Open
- You will need to provide username along with password. You can write ‘Root’ in username while you can write libreelec in password field.
- You can download files after clicking the links given below:
- You can click to download file for Service VPN Manager add-on
- You can click to download MPN OpenVPN Configuration file
- Go to storage / MPNVPN.ovpn to see the content of the configuration file as mentioned below:
- Remote server name
- Remote-cert-eku ‘TLS web server authentication’
- Dev tun
- Proto udp
- Port 1194
- Resolv-retry infinite
- Route-delay 2
- You should change the word ‘server name’ with the name of server you wish to connect like GBR.mypn.co
- You can click to access full server names list
- You should install VPN Manager add-on
- Open Kodi>click add-ons>package installer icon>install from zip file> locate VPN Manager-2.4.0.zip that you downloaded earlier
- You should connect to VPN for your Libreelec device by installing add-on
- You will see a box on your screen that reads Settings- Libreelec VPN manager for OpenVPN
- Choose your VPN for LibreELEC with kill switch feature from the list
- Write username and password, click yes to proceed further
- From install from Zip file option, select the configuration file from your device i.e. MPNVPN.ovpn
- If you are needed to update .ovpn file then click yes
- If it needs to be renamed, click simply No
- Through VPN connection> first VPN connection>choose MPNVPN profile
- You will observe the following message on your screen
- Once you have completed the connection validation process, choose OK and return to home screen
How Can I Install Libreelec VPN on Amazon Fire TV?
You can install VPN for Libreelec on Amazon Fire TV with the help of a router. Here is how you can do:
- Open web browser> write gateway address to your router
- From settings>click WAN
- Choose PPTP in WAN connection type
- Through WAN DNS settings, you can ask your VPN service to provide SmartDNS settings
- Go to ‘special requirement from ISP’ option, enter the server address for a country to your liking with name
- You can click apply when you are done
Free VPN for LibreELEC
In case you want to use free VPN on your Libreelec devices, you are allowed to do so. However, not all free VPN services come up with the expectations of subscribers. This is because they may compromise on their users ‘privacy.
Still, few free VPN services in the market allow you to protect your identity. By doing so, you can access your favorite media stuff on Kodi Libreelec operating system. Here is the list of free VPNs that includes:
Luckily, it is available on almost every popular device include Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Fire TV/Stick, Roku, Apple TV, Raspberri Pi, and many others. Kodi is very simple to install, and even so much simple to install the best Kodi add-ons that will bring you the latest media content.
The Wrap Up
Install LibreELEC VPN seemed daunting at first, but once you have followed each of the instructions we provided in this guide, it seems straightforward. Stream all your favorite content without worrying about your online activity, as VPN for LibreELEC has it all covered.