Are you wondering if you can watch Hulu on Firestick in Japan? Well, you’ll be happy to know that you can indeed watch Hulu in Japan on Firestick. As Hulu is geo-restricted to the US, you will need a VPN service to unblock the SVoD service in Japan.
Luckily, there are plenty of VPNs out there offering a dedicated app for Firestick devices available on Amazon App Store. You can directly download the app and access the Hulu content library on your Smart TV in Japan.
This way, you will be able to enjoy more than 75 TV channels and plenty of amazing content like The Rookie Season 5, Snowfall Season 6 and PEN15.
How to Watch Hulu on FireStick In Japan [Easy Steps]
Follow the steps below to watch Hulu on Firestick in Japan:
- Open your Firestick. From the home screen, go to Settings.
- Select ‘Device‘ from the list and go to Developer Option.
- Enable the option ‘Apps from Unknown Sources.’
- Go to Home and search for the VPN you have subscribed to. We recommend ExpressVPN as it offers fast speed servers.
- Click the ‘Get‘ button and download the VPN app.
- Open the app and sign in.
- Connect to a US server.
- Open the Hulu app and enjoy streaming in Japan.
3 Best VPNs to Watch Hulu on Firestick In Japan [Quick Overview]
Here’s a quick overview of the best VPNs to watch Hulu in Japan on Amazon Firestick in 2023:
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Hulu on Firestick in Japan. Offers 23+ US servers, with 3000+ servers overall. Works with 2 gen Fire TV Stick and above. Costs just JPY 926.23/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – Affordable Firestick VPN for Hulu in Japan. Costing only JPY 319.39/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) . It has 500+ US servers in 20+ cities. Compatible with 2nd gen Firesticks and above with unlimited connections and a 30-day refund policy.
- NordVPN – Safe VPN for Hulu on Firestick in Japan. Offers fast speed to access Hulu with 1970+ US servers and 5100 servers worldwide. Works with 1st gen Amazon Fire TV and above. Allows 6 simultaneous device connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee for just JPY 554.07/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) .
3 Best VPNs to Watch Hulu In Japan on Firestick [Detailed Analysis]
Here are the 3 best Firestick VPNs for Hulu in Japan. These VPNs offer plenty of servers in the United States, with fast streaming speeds, and compatible apps for Amazon Firestick.
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Hulu on Firestick in Japan
- 3,000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Hard disk free infrastructure (RAM only)
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Excellent unblocking capability for Netflix, Hulu & more
- 5 Multi Logins
- Zero-knowledge DNS
ExpressVPN is the top and our #1 recommended VPN for streaming Hulu on Amazon Firestick in Japan. Having over 3000+ servers in 94 countries and 23+ servers in the US for unblocking Hulu on Firestick in Japan.
ExpressVPN offers an easy-to-use app for Firestick and works on Fire TV, Fire Cube, and other devices. You can easily use the app with the remote control.
With ExpressVPN, you can also unblock other popular streaming services such as Sling TV, HBO Max, NBC, Vudu, Amazon Prime US, and Netflix US in Japan.
You can connect 5 devices on one ExpressVPN account, and it is available for JPY926.23/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan), and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can check our ExpressVPN review Japan for more information. You can also unblock Hulu in Spain, or Hulu in Canada with ExpressVPN with ease.
- Works with geo-blocked streaming sites
- 3000 servers in 160 locations
- Supports 5 simultaneous connection
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly expensive than competitors
- Lacks advanced features
2. Surfshark: Affordable Firestick VPN for Hulu in Japan
- 3,200+ servers in 100 countries
- RAM-only servers (no hard disks)
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unblocks Netflix and More
- 24/7 Customer Service
Surfshark is a low-cost VPN for streaming Hulu on Firestick in Japan with a dedicated Amazon app making Surfshark on Firestick Japan a great combo for buffer less streaming. Using the app, you can easily navigate between servers and connect to a US server for Hulu. Speaking of servers, Surfshark offers 3200+ servers in 100 countries with 500+ servers in the US.
With so many servers across the world, you can also watch other geo-restricted streaming services like Peacock TV, ESPN+, Fox TV, Netflix US, and YouTube TV in Japan.
Surfshark offers unlimited device connections on a single subscription. So, with Amazon Firestick, you can also use it on your smartphones, laptops, desktops, Smart TVs, and more. Surfshark is available for only JPY 319.39/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) with a 30-day refund policy as well.
Check out our Surfshark review Japan for more information.
- 3200 servers in 65 locations
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- Unblocks Hulu, HBO, Sling TV
- Free trial for iOS and Android users
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day refund guarantee
- No free version
- Live chat support is accessible only in some countries
3. NordVPN: Safe VPN for Hulu on Firestick in Japan
- 5100+ servers in 60+ countries
- Military-grade encryption (Double VPN encryption)
- CyberSec protects your device from intrusive ads
- Strict no-logs policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DNS leak protection
- 6 Multi-logins
- Live chat support
- Easy-to-use app
NordVPN is a popular VPN in the market with impressive performance and security features. There is a dedicated Amazon Firestick app that you can download directly from Amazon App Store. NordVPN easily unblocks Hulu in Japan on its US servers.
It offers 5500+ servers in 60 countries and over 1970 servers in the US. Apart from Hulu, you can also watch, iQiYi, Amazon Prime Video, CNBC, Fox TV, and HBO Max in Japan.
NordVPN allows you to connect 6 devices at the same time. So, you can use it on your Firestick and other devices as well. It is available for JPY 554.07/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) with a 30-day refund policy as well.
For further details, read our NordVPN review Japan.
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix
- Easy-to-use VPN app
- 5100 servers in 60 countries
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day refund guarantee
- Windows app is slightly slow
- Map interface in the app takes a lot of screen space
How to Get Hulu APK File on FireStick In Japan?
Follow these steps to download the Hulu APK File on your Firestick in Japan:
- Head over to Firestick Home and click Search.
- Type Downloader and select the first result that shows up.
- Download the app and open it once it’s downloaded.
- Copy and paste this URL into the search box: https://m.apkpure.com/hulu-stream-new-tv-shows-movies-series/com.hulu.plus/download?from=details
- Download and install the APK File.
- Go back to Home and head over to the App section.
- Select the Hulu app and log in. Enjoy streaming in Japan.
How to Subscribe to Hulu In Japan
Follow these steps to subscribe to Hulu in Japan:
- Visit the Hulu website and click Start Free Trial.
- Choose your desired plan.
- Enter your email address and other details.
- Select a payment method and enter the billing information.
- Click Submit button to finish the signup process.
- Sign in to your account and enjoy streaming in Japan.
Why is Hulu not working on FireStick In Japan? [Troubleshooting Steps]
Hulu offers a highly compatible app for Firestick, but if you are still facing issues while streaming Hulu on Firestick in Japan, here are a few fixes.
1. Hulu Loading Error on Fire TV Stick
If your Hulu app keeps loading on the Firestick, or the videos are taking too much time to play, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Click Applications > select Hulu.
- Select options: Clear Cache and Clear Data.
- Restart your Firestick and open the Hulu app.
Now, try playing the video again, and the issue should be fixed by now. If you are still getting the same issue, you can reinstall the app.
2. Amazon Firestick Buffering Issues
Although very rare, you might be experiencing buffering issues at some point. To fix buffering issues on Hulu, here are a few things you can try:
- Turn off your Amazon Firestick and restart after a few minutes.
- Uninstall the Hulu app, wait for a few minutes and reinstall the latest app.
If you encounter these issues while using a VPN, you can change your VPN server location to get fast streaming speeds. You can also decrease the video quality if the buffering is still there.
3. Hulu Connection Error on Firestick
If you are getting the Hulu connection error on Firestick, follow these steps below:
- From the home screen, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > Hulu. Now choose restart.
- Restart the Firestick.
- Clear cache and data.
Hulu Plans & Pricing for Firestick Users in Japan
Hulu offers 3 basic plans for viewers across various platforms, including Amazon Firestick in Japan.
- Hulu Basic – $6.99/mo). This plan offers ads while streaming and allows one screen simultaneously. You also cannot download shows and movies on this plan.
- Hulu (No Ads) – $12.99/mo. On this plan, you will not come across ads while streaming. Moreover, you can also download movies and shows to watch offline.
- Hulu + Live TV – $69.99/mo. You can get Live TV streaming on this plan along with on-demand content. There are 50 hours of DVR cloud storage as well. However, you will get ads, and there is no download option.
Along with these, there are bundle offers available as well.
FAQs – Hulu on Firestick In Japan
Is a VPN legal in Japan?
Yes, VPN is 100% legal in most of the countries. Using a VPN for streaming geo-restricted services like Hulu is completely legal . However, VPN is considered illegal for activities such as piracy and distribution of copyrighted material.
Why can’t I watch Hulu on my Firestick in Japan?
If you cannot watch Hulu on Firestick in Japan, you should clear the cache of your Firestick from Settings. To do that, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Apps > Hulu.
Is Hulu free with Amazon Firestick in Japan?
Yes, Hulu is free to download on Amazon Firestick in Japan but to watch its content, you will need to sign up for a plan. Currently, Hulu offers four plans, with the cheapest one being Hulu Basic, with ads for $5.99 per month.
Hulu and Firestick is a perfect combination. You can stream your favorite shows along with Live TV on your screens in 4K video playback quality. However, if you are residing in Japan, you will need a VPN to stream Hulu on Firestick in Japan because Hulu is only available in United States due to content licensing agreements.