Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer series constructed by a UK-based foundation to disseminate fundamental computer science learning in developing nations. But, right after its innovation, these tiny PCs became quite famous worldwide for projects, including robotics, emulators, home automation, and more.
The online capabilities of these small computers are quite attractive to hackers and other malicious actors, making usage of the best VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy pretty significant for your privacy and security in Italy. A premium VPN creates a tunnel of encryption and keeps all your online activities safe from your ISP, hackers, and the government.
Even though Raspberry Pi has its default Debian-based OS called Raspbian, it can run on multiple other OSes as well, including Linux (and its distros), Windows, and more. Keeping that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the 5 VPNs for Raspberry Pi in Italy that can help you bypass geo-blocks, encrypt your network traffic, and stay anonymous on the web.
The Best VPN for Raspberry Pi In Italy – Quick Overview [Updated – 2023]
Here’s a quick overview of the best VPN for Raspberry Pi tested in 2023:
- ExpressVPN – The best VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy.
- Surfshark – The best price/quality combo for Raspberry Pi.
- NordVPN – Extra secure VPN for Raspberry Pi.
- CyberGhost – A simple and absolutely user-friendly option for Raspberry Pi in Italy.
- Private Internet Access – The best reliable VPN for Raspberry Pi.
Why Do I Need a VPN for Raspberry Pi In Italy?
Raspberry Pi OS doesn’t offer much security to your Pi device, especially regarding traffic encryption on the internet. And unless you’re using your device to do something that doesn’t require an internet connection, protecting it is something you’ll need to consider in Italy.
For numerous reasons, you should use a Raspberry Pi with a virtual private network (VPN). Let’s look at each in detail:
1. Rising security & privacy threats from cybercriminals
Access to free internet is readily available everywhere these days. You can walk into your local coffee house, airport, or shopping mall and use public WiFi to check your emails, social media, and bank accounts or surf the web in Italy. However, these free public Wi-Fi hotspots are not secure and crawl with hackers, snoopers, phishers, spammers, and numerous other cyber criminals.
Such threats infiltrate your device, steal all your confidential and sensitive data, such as bank account details, personal pictures, addresses, documents, and browsing history, and plague your device with malicious software in Italy.
Therefore, it is important to secure your Raspberry Pi from all kinds of cyber threats using a premium VPN, especially if you use the internet over public Wi-Fi in Italy.
A virtual private network (VPN) encrypts all your internet connection traffic and routes it through secure tunnels, safeguarding your information from cybercriminals. All your data is passed through the VPN tunnel, thus protecting your Raspberry Pi devices in Italy.
2. Invasion of privacy by blanket surveillance
If hackers and others do not retrieve your personal information, governmental intelligence agencies will leave no stone unturned. They conduct blanket surveillance on Netizens and monitor all their browsing activities, conversations, download history, and other forms of metadata.
Evidence leaked by the whistleblower Edward Snowden revealed that the NSA and other Five Eyes nations’ agencies spy on users within their regions. They also snoop on incoming and outgoing traffic through their borders and share user metadata.
One of the tools to stop governmental agencies from spying on you is using a VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy. Its IP cloaking ability and military-grade encryption will stop anyone from eavesdropping on you.
3. Access blocked websites & enjoy unlimited online content
Many websites and streaming services are blocked in certain parts of the world. Some are geo-restricted and will only work from specified locations, while the regulatory authorities censor others. Therefore, a Raspberry Pi VPN will help you stream all your favorite content online from anywhere in the world, as you will be able to access geo-blocked content in Italy.
VPN use becomes even more important on Raspberry Pi as the latest models have an HDMI port and built-in WiFi capability. You can turn your Raspberry Pi into a portable streaming device and connect a VPN to access websites in Italy such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Pandora, and Spotify.
5 Best VPNs for Raspberry Pi In Italy 2023
To look for the best VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy, we tested various VPNs supporting Raspbian and Linux OS on various factors. Here are the 5 best VPNs that you can use on the OS in 2023.
1. ExpressVPN – The best VPN for Raspberry Pi In Italy
- Supports Raspberry Pi
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries, and 25 server locations in US
- Blazing-fast speeds
- No-logs policy
- 5 simultaneous connections
ExpressVPN is the overall best VPN service for Raspberry Pi in Italy. That’s due to its compatibility with Raspberry Pi and Linux distros, global server coverage, and fast speeds.
It is compatible with Raspberry Pi using ARMv7 CPUs and running Raspberry Pi OS versions that Debian’s Long Term Support Window supports. It offers a character-based native app that is quite logical and user-friendly in its commands. It’s compatible with the Debian-based distro called Raspbian, which Raspberry Pi uses in Italy.
ExpressVPN offers 3000+ servers in 94 countries and 25 server locations in US, which are more than enough to unblock any form of geo-restricted content in Italy. Some popular streaming services that work best with ExpressVPN include Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and more.
Another great thing about this VPN is its Lightway protocol, using which the VPN offers blazing-fast speeds. In our ExpressVPN speed test in Italy, the VPN offers fast download speeds of 89.42 Mbps and upload speeds of 84.64 Mbps on all nearby and faraway locations.
Only a handful of VPN providers can come close to this British Virgin Island-based provider when it comes to providing online security, privacy, and data protection in Italy.
ExpressVPN deploys military-grade AES-256-Bit encryption, TrustedServer network, internet kill switch in Italy, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, and private DNS to ensure that your online identity and activities are completely hidden from everyone.
In short, ExpressVPN and Raspberry Pi work great together. The provider is available for just EUR6.19/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan) with a 30-day money-back guarantee. It also offers reliable and efficient 24/7 customer support to deal with any issues you might have.
Read more about the VPN in our ExpressVPN review in Italy.
- Compatible with the Raspbian OS
- Offers fast speeds to users
- Servers are available across the globe
- Robust security is offered
- Apps do not offer much customization
2. Surfshark – The best price/quality combo
- Supports Raspberry Pi
- 3200+ servers in 100 countries and 600+ servers in US
- Super-fast connection speeds
- No-logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
Surfshark is the best budget VPN for Raspberry Pi. It is relatively new to the VPN industry compared to other providers on the list. Still, it has quickly become one of the best Raspberry Pi VPNs in Italy, costing only EUR2.13/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).
For Raspberry Pi, the VPN offers a character-based Raspbian VPN app that can be a bit complex to set up for novice VPN users. However, Surfshark makes the configuration process easier by providing a step-by-step guide on its website and built-in functionality within its application. You also get a manual configuration guide for setting up the VPN on Raspberry Pi through OpenVPN in Italy.
Surfshark holds a server network of 3200+ servers in 100 countries and 600+ servers in US. Raspberry Pi users can easily take advantage of these servers and obtain endless access to HBO Max, Netflix, ESPN+, NBC Live, Spotify, and Hulu with Surfshark.
Despite being a cheap VPN service in Italy, the VPN doesn’t disappoint you when it comes to speeds. In our recent Surfshark speed test in Italy, we found that the VPN’s connection speed was faster than many other VPN providers. We also didn’t find any bandwidth restrictions or data caps. Surfshark delivered a download speed of 81.32 Mbps and an upload speed of 76.12 Mbps on our connection of 100 Mbps.
Surfshark VPN has various security features, including MutiHop, CleanWeb, WhiteLister, kill switch, and AES-256-Bit encryption. Its independently audited no-logs policy makes sure none of your sensitive information is logged by the VPN.
Even after offering that much, it can be purchased for a budget-friendly price. Moreover, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can use to test out the VPN risk-free for 30 days in Italy.
To learn more about this provider, check out our Surfshark review in Italy.
- Native app for Raspberry Pi
- Offers a manual OpenVPN configuration guide
- Speeds are fast on all servers
- Affordable prices
- Live chat support can be improved
3. NordVPN – Extra secure VPN for Raspberry Pi
- Supports Raspberry Pi
- 5500+ servers in 60 countries and 1970+ servers in US
- Fast connection speeds
- No-logs policy
- 6 simultaneous connections
NordVPN is a secure VPN for Raspberry Pi. The VPN has established its reputation for offering the most advanced security, privacy, and data protection through its features like obfuscation, DoubleVPN, and more.
The VPN offers a dedicated command-line app for the Raspberry Pi operating system, configuring which on your device just takes a few auto-suggested commands in the terminal. In addition, all commands are quick and easy to memorize, and the settings are simple to apply.
Equipped with 5500+ VPN servers in 60 countries and 1970+ servers in US, Raspberry Pi users, can easily avoid bandwidth throttling, receive online protection, and unblock various streaming services in Italy such as Netflix, Hulu, AMC, CW, Sling TV, and Showtime.
As for speeds, NordVPN delivers fast connections without throttling your bandwidth. Thanks to its Nordlynx protocol, we got a speedy service with the lowest possible pings. Upon running the NordVPN speed test in Italy, it delivered a download speed of 83.82 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.64 Mbps on our 100 Mbps connection.
This VPN client is headquartered in Panama, so this provider doesn’t have to abide by any data retention laws. Apart from that, it offers AES-256-Bit encryption, an internet kill switch in Italy, Double VPN, Onion over VPN, and obfuscated servers to guarantee ultimate online security and privacy. Also you can easily install NordVPN on Raspberry pi.
NordVPN only costs EUR3.7/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan), and it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To learn more about this provider, check out our NordVPN review in Italy.
- Native app for Raspbian OS
- No DNS leaks
- Competitive prices
- Top-notch privacy and security
- Netflix support is kept updated
- Fast & stable speeds all around
- Some servers take longer to connect
- Customer support can be improved
4. CyberGhost – A simple and absolutely user-friendly option In Italy
- Supports Raspberry Pi
- 9700+servers in 91 countries, 1353+ servers in US
- Fast connection speeds
- No-logs policy
- 7 simultaneous connections
CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy. The provider has optimized servers for various purposes such as streaming, torrenting, and online gaming – making it a great choice for beginner VPN users in Italy.
The VPN offers a character-based app for Linux is pretty intuitive, even though it lacks the Graphical User-Interface (GUI) that most VPN providers offer. You can also manually configure the VPN by following CyberGhost’s instructions.
CyberGhost holds an impressive server count of 9700+ VPN servers in 91 countries and 1353+ servers in US. These servers are fully optimized to offer the best VPN experience for gaming, torrenting, or streaming services in Italy. You can access plenty of geo-blocked content such as YouTube TV, Disney+, Hulu, WWE Network, Netflix, CBS, and Amazon Prime.
This VPN delivers extremely fast speed and never puts data caps on your internet connection. We ran a CyberGhost speed test in Italy and recorded a 75.47 Mbps download speed and a 69.34 upload speed on our 100 Mbps connection.
The provider operates out of Romania, which doesn’t follow any data retention laws. Also, you don’t have to worry about your online security and privacy as CyberGhost comes with a complete zero-log policy, AES-256-Bit encryption, and DNS/IPv6 leak protection.
It is available for only EUR1.96/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and comes with an impressive 45-day money-back guarantee in Italy.
To learn more about this provider, check out our CyberGhost review in Italy.
- Native app for Linux
- Unique security features
- Optimized servers for streaming
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Decent and stable speeds
- Limited payment options
5. Private Internet Access – The best reliable VPN for Raspberry Pi
- Supports Raspberry Pi
- 35000+ servers in 84 countries, 50+ servers in US
- Reliable connection speeds
- No-logs policy
- 10 simultaneous connections
Private Internet Access is a popular choice for Raspberry Pi among VPN users. It has one of the largest VPN server networks with thousands of IP addresses and is best suited for your Raspberry Pi needs in Italy.
PIA offers a GUI-based app for Raspberry Pi. This makes it easy for users to choose a server location and connect to it. The Graphical User Interface also makes the VPN a great choice for novice users who are presently not comfortable with the command-line interface. Besides that, you can also manually configure PIA on Raspberry Pi using OpenVPN.
PIA VPN has an unbelievably huge server network with 35000+ servers located in 84 countries and 50+ servers in US. With this many servers, Raspberry Pi users will never face any problems again concerning geo-restricted content in Italy.
PIA easily unblocks popular streaming services and geo-blocked content in Italy, including Netflix, Hulu, Discovery Plus, YouTube TV, HBO Max, and Sling TV.
As for speed, it performed amazingly in all its PIA speed tests in Italy. We noticed a download speed of 65.78 Mbps and an upload speed of 57.16 Mbps on our connection of 100 Mbps. It never throttled our bandwidth, and we never experienced slow speeds while using it.
As for security, it comes with multiple features such as AES-256-Bit encryption, VPN protocols (PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN), ads, malware, and tracker blocker, multiple VPNs gateway, and no-logs policy to ensure that your actual identity, location, and internet traffic is secure in Italy.
In short, PIA is a good VPN for Raspberry Pi. It costs only EUR1.96/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and comes with an extensive 30-day money-back guarantee.
To learn more about this provider, check out our PIA VPN review in Italy.
- Dedicated app for Raspbian OS with GUI
- Powerful encryption mechanism
- Blocks ads
- 24/7 live chat support
- No logs policy
- High-speed global server network
- Netflix works – but it takes time buffering
- No app exclusion / whitelisting
How to Choose the Best VPN for Raspberry Pi In Italy – Methodology
Not every VPN is compatible with Raspberry Pi in Italy. Thankfully, there are a few premium VPNs that actually do support the platform. We tested these VPNs on various factors and determined the best VPNs that you can use with these devices in Italy:
- Raspberry Pi or Linux App: Before getting into other features, we confirmed whether or not the VPN functions with Raspberry Pi in Italy. Since Raspbian OS is based on the Debian operating system, we only selected VPNs that were compatible with Pi and Linux clients. You can check out this list of the Best Ubuntu VPNs in Italy.
- Security and Privacy: The central and most substantial feature on our list is the security a VPN offers. High-end encryption technology, a Threat Manager, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy are all the features that a premium VPN must offer.
- Streaming: This is also a significant factor on our list. The right VPN can effortlessly connect to the nearest server and start streaming content in Italy. So during our test, we confirmed that the VPN could stream content on a Raspberry Pi. We tried some of the well-known streaming sites in Italy like HBO, Amazon Prime TV, Netflix US, and some others. All of them showed promising results on the best Raspberry Pi VPN servers.
- Speed: This is important when choosing the best VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy. Without lightning speed, you will never be able to achieve a good performance on gaming, streaming, and torrenting. That’s why we only shortlist the fastest VPNs in Italy, which offer blazing-fast speed.
- Server Network: The collection of servers is also a significant factor when choosing a VPN. Only a VPN with a large network globally will perform incredibly. Therefore, we only picked VPNs with thousands of servers worldwide.
- Customer Support: We ensured that the best VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy offers 24/7 live chat customer support. We tested their chat support to find how informative and prompt the responses were.
Comparison Table – Best VPN For Raspberry Pi In Italy
Want a quick comparison of the best Raspberry Pi VPNs in Italy? Just check out the table below:
|Jurisdiction||The British Virgin Islands||The Netherlands||Panama||Romania||United States|
|Compatibility with Raspbian||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Security||AES 256 Bit||AES 256 Bit||AES 256 Bit||AES 256-bit||AES 256-bit|
|Servers||3000+ in 94 Countries||3200+ in 100 Countries||5500+ in 60 Countries||9700+ in 91 Countries||35000+ in 84 Countries|
|Speed||76.92 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection||75 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection||77.68 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection||74.25 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection||74 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection|
|Streaming||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and More||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and More|
|Pricing||EUR 6.19/mo (US$ 6.67/mo)||EUR 2.13/mo (US$ 2.30/mo)||EUR 3.7/mo (US$ 3.99/mo)||EUR 1.96/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)||EUR 1.96/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)|
|DNS Leak Protection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Website||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site|
How To Set Up a VPN on Raspberry Pi In Italy
You can connect Raspberry Pi devices to a VPN through three different methods in Italy. One is getting ExpressVPN directly on Raspberry Pi, the second is by connecting your Raspberry Pi to a router, and the final method involves directly configuring a VPN on your Raspberry Pi through the command prompt.
Now, let’s check all methods out in detail, shall we?
Configure ExpressVPN on your Raspberry Pi
ExpressVPN can run Raspberry Pi OS, that’s supported by the long-term support Window of Debian. Here’s how you can add the VPN provider to your Raspbian device:
- Visit the setup page of ExpressVPN by clicking here. Insert your ExpressVPN credentials and log in if prompted.
- Insert the Verification Code that you receive in your email.
- Click the Raspberry Pi OS and tap on ‘Download.’ You’ll find your activation code below.
- Then, launch the Terminal and run command: cd ~/Downloads/
- After that, run this command: sudo dpkg -i [installer filename]
- The installation will begin after this. If you face any errors like “Cannot connect to expressvpn daemon,” enter this command to restart ExpressVPN: sudo service expressvpn restart
- Then, run the following command in the terminal: expressvpn activate
- Paste the activation code you received earlier and click Enter.
- You’ll be notified once the app is activated.
Connect Raspberry Pi to VPN with a Router
A simple way of connecting Raspberry Pi devices to a VPN is through an internet router. Doing this protects your online privacy as a security protocol encrypts your connection.
This method also saves you the time and effort you would have to apply to configure VPN on your Raspberry Pi manually. Check out our detailed guide on setting up ExpressVPN on a router for further details.
Directly configure VPN on Raspberry Pi
The other option is to configure the service manually on your Raspberry Pi. Now, remember, different VPN providers offer a range of protocols, so the setup for each protocol might differ.
We will focus our setup on OpenVPN, the most secure and reliable VPN protocol that you can use today. Also, note that the setup was tested on Raspbian Debian Weezy.
Here’s how to configure Raspberry Pi VPN:
- Open the terminal and update the package list by entering: sudo apt-get update
- Install the OpenVPN package by typing: sudo apt-get install openvpn
- Now download the OpenVPN configuration files provided by your VPN service
- Access the downloaded OpenVPN Zip file by entering: cd /etc/openvpn
- Unzip the OpenVPN package: sudo unzip /home/pi/config.zip
- Next, run the OpenVPN config file by typing: sudo openvpn [file name]
- OpenVPN will ask for login credentials to connect, enter the username and password you selected at the time of signup
- You should now be connected to your VPN service on Raspberry Pi
- To disconnect the VPN, enter: sudo killall openvpn
Alternative Ways to Secure Raspberry Pi Device In Italy?
The Raspberry Pi’s main OS is not very secure. While a VPN does provide protection against hackers. It shouldn’t be the only tool on your list to improve your Raspberry Pi security.
Other ways to secure your Raspberry Pi device:
- Secure Browsing Extension
- A secure browser like Brave Browser
Can I Use a Free VPN with my Raspberry Pi In Italy?
Yes, a few free VPNs can be used with Raspberry Pi as they offer compatibility with Raspbian OS. However, freebie VPNs are probably best avoided in Italy. These free apps may appear appealing, but they can harm your privacy rather than protect it. For example, a Raspberry Pi free VPN may track you online and sell your information to advertisers.
Moreover, other free VPN services impose speed and bandwidth caps, making them useless for any practical purpose. You also get a limited number of servers, subjecting to traffic overload and the inability to access geo-restricted streaming platforms in Italy.
In short, we recommend not using a free VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy. That’s because, with free VPNs, online security and anonymity go right out the window. However, if you still want an unpaid VPN, ProtonVPN offers a free plan with an upgrade option at a reasonable cost.
But, if you value your privacy and want a VPN that will satisfy you, the wise decision would be to go for the best VPN for Raspberry Pi, like ExpressVPN. As a free option, you can use its 30-day money-back guarantee and enjoy the service risk-free for a whole month in Italy.
FAQs – Best VPN for Raspberry Pi In Italy
Is Raspberry Pi powerful enough for VPN in Italy?
Yes, it is a powerful and good choice in Italy. It’s small and powerful enough to handle a few connections at a time making it great for private use at home. On the other hand, ExpressVPN is the best VPN service for Raspberry Pi in Italy. It has a dedicated app for Raspberry Pi OS, and setting it up takes only a couple of commands in the terminal.
Which VPN is best for Raspberry Pi in Italy?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN service for Raspberry Pi in Italy due to its fantastic unblocking capabilities, 3000+ servers worldwide, and top-notch security. This VPN keeps you protected on your device using its security features like a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, etc., and lets you bypass geo-blocks and access streaming sites like Hulu, Disney+, and more easily in Italy.
Can NordVPN run on Raspberry Pi in Italy
Yes, by using NordLynx or OpenVPN, you can easily set up NordVPN on Raspberry Pi in Italy. You can use NordVPN on Raspberry Pi by two methods, either by using NordVPN’s Linux App or by setting it up manually by downloading the Debian package from the official website and installing it.
Can a Raspberry Pi be used as a VPN in Italy?
Yes, the process is lengthy in Italy, but you can turn a Raspberry into a VPN technology. Here’s a brief answer to what you can do if you’re interested in using Raspberry Pi as a VPN in Italy.
Try to follow these steps:
- Convert Raspberry Pi to Wireless Accessing Point.
- Program OpenVPN and your selected VPN in it.
- List the VPN.
- Make an authorization file to become authorized.
- Keep Running tests.
- Remove the wireless access point from Pi.
- Edit the rc.local file.
- Make all the Stuff automatic.
- Reboot and Enjoy.
By setting up Raspberry Pi as a VPN service, you can connect it from anywhere, surf without risks, and access files and data on your home network.
Is Raspberry Pi powerful enough for VPN server in Italy?
Yes, Raspberry Pi has enough power to run a VPN server in Italy. It is one of the cheapest ways to set up a VPN that can stay online round-the-clock without consuming tons of power. It’s tiny and robust enough to handle a few connections simultaneously, making it great for home use.
You can also use Raspberry Pi as a VPN router in Italy.
Raspberry Pi is a powerful tool that can be used for multiple purposes. Basically, you can perform almost as many functions on this device as on a normal desktop computer.
This is why many people have even called Raspberry Pi a revolutionary piece of technology. Regardless, this device is still exposed to the threats that constantly lurk on your internet connection in Italy.
To protect your sensitive data and digital activity on Raspberry Pi, you need the best VPN for Raspberry Pi in Italy, such as ExpressVPN, which offers robust encryption, complete anonymity, and ultimate unblocking capabilities in Italy.
To test its capabilities first, you can use its 30-day money-back guarantee and enjoy the service risk-free for 30 days in Italy.