So, you’re stuck with PIA VPN not connecting in India? No problem. Although PIA is one of the most well-renowned VPN brands in the industry, it can break down occasionally.
Private Internet Access Not Working on Windows in India? Troubleshooting Guide
Following are some useful tips to try when you have PIA VPN not connecting in India:
1. Switch servers
First of all, if you find PIA not connecting in India, you should try changing the server location to multiple others. PIA boasts a network of 35,564 servers, which is a significant amount.
However, some servers may go offline from time to time due to technical faults or for maintenance purposes in India. This is why you should try connecting to other servers to make sure the problem is with a specific server rather than with the entire service or some other source.
Also, connecting to servers that are physically closer to your location in India will result in the best performance, though PIA is generally pretty fast in India. In addition, if you’re aiming to download torrents, some servers will work better than others for this purpose. For instance, the Netherlands is a popular server location for a safe and stable torrenting experience. You can download torrents with PIA in India using either its core VPN network or the SOCKS5 proxy.
If you are able to connect to PIA in India after switching servers, great! Otherwise, go to the next few tips mentioned below.
2. Disable IPv6 to fix the issue
In some instances, certain packet leaks which occur due to IPv6 being enabled on the device in India can also cause issues in VPN connectivity. Therefore, it is advised to disable your device’s IPv6 before connecting to the VPN in India. We have listed down the steps for disabling IPv6 on a Windows device in India.
- Right-click on the “Network / Wi-Fi ” icon on the bottom-right-hand side of your screen to open up the menu shown below.
- Next, click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
- In the Network and Sharing Center window, click on Change adapter options.
- You will then see a list of network adapters available on your computer. Right-click on your active network adapter (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, scroll down until you see Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Un-check the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) checkbox and click on OK to save the changes.
- Now that IPv6 has been disabled on your computer, restart your computer for the setting to take effect.
3. Check the Internet connection
You should check your internet connection in India to see if the problem is at your end. Disconnect PIA in India and exit the app from your system/device entirely. Then, try connecting to the internet once again. If you are able to connect to the web with PIA disconnected in India, then your internet is working fine and the problem is with your PIA client.
However, if you are still unable to establish a connection to the internet, you’ll need to call your ISP and get the internet fixed in India. When you’re able to connect to the internet normally, try connecting to a PIA server once again in India.
It should work this time in India.
4. Change ports being used by the VPN
If PIA is not working in India on Windows 10, you can follow the steps mentioned below to change the ports being used by the VPN:
- Right-click on the PIA VPN icon in the menu bar
- Disconnect from the VPN
- Click Settings
- Click Advanced
- Set the connection type to UDP
- Change port to 1194
- Click Save and reconnect
- If the issue still persists, you can disconnect from the VPN and change the port to 8080 and reconnect. Some other ports you can change to include 9201, and 53.
- If it still doesn’t work, go to Advanced Settings disconnect from the VPN.
- Change connection type to TCP
- Click Save and reconnect again. You can even change the remote ports to 110, 80 or 53.
5. Remove software conflicts
Many antivirus and firewalls interfere with Private Internet Access connectivity and can block your connection in India. To determine if your security programs aren’t at the root of the problem responsible for your PIA not connecting in India, disable all your anti-malware/firewalls and try connecting to PIA.
If you are now able to use PIA in India, then you probably have an antivirus that is blocking your PIA connection. In fact, in some cases, even disabling the antivirus doesn’t work.
To resolve the issue, you will need to add all PIA-related files to the security software’s exception list in India.
On Windows, these are the relevant PIA files that need to be put in the list of exceptions:
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\tap\win10
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\tap\win7
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-client.exe
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-openvpn.exe
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-service.exe
- C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-support-tool.exe
- /Applications/Private Internet Access/
Once PIA has been added to the list of exceptions in India, you can continue using it alongside your antivirus without any conflicts between the two services.
PIA is particularly susceptible to experiencing conflicts with Avast Antivirus as an official representative has stated it themselves:
6. TAP adapter problems
If you have several VPNs installed in your system/device and find PIA not connecting in India, the problem might be caused by interference in your operating system’s TAP adapter. You will need to disable the adapters of other VPNs to fix this problem in India:
- Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings.
- You’ll find the TAP adapters of all installed VPNs as well as your physical network.
- Disable adapters of all VPNs other than PIA by right-clicking each and selecting Disable.
Once disabled, try connecting to PIA again in India.
7. Excessive multi-logins
PIA offers a generous multi-login limit of 10 devices in India. This means you can use a single PIA account to protect up to 10 different devices. PIA can be easily set up for Kodi in India or configured for use with Roku in India as well.
However, it’s important to not get carried away. If you cross the multi-login limit, you are likely to face connectivity or login issues with PIA in India. Make sure to log out of PIA from devices you no longer need it for. Then, try logging in again from your preferred devices.
PIA Issues and Fixes for Specific Situations in India
Here are some services, devices, and platforms that users often find PIA VPN not connecting in India with:
PIA not working on Fire Stick in India
PIA not loading on your Fire TV in India? This VPN actually has a dedicated app for Fire Stick that can be downloaded from the Amazon App Store. You will, however, need a 2nd generation Fire Stick device to run the VPN because older generations of Amazon Fire TV do not support VPNs in India.
If you are facing problems when using PIA on a 2nd generation Fire TV device, this could be a firmware issue. In that case, you will have to reset your Fire TV to factory settings in order to fix this issue in India.
This is how you can reset Fire Stick in India:
- From the System menu on Fire Stick, navigate to the bottom and select Settings
- Scroll right to find “System” and select it
- Scroll down and press “Reset to Factory Defaults”
After resetting the device, try connecting to PIA again in India. This fix was provided by one of PIA’s representatives on Reddit:
For more information, see our instructions for installing PIA on Fire Stick in India.
PIA not working with Netflix in India
PIA is known to struggle with Netflix. However, the provider has been improving in many respects including Netflix compatibility and our latest test results show that PIA can unblock several Netflix regions in India.
So, you won’t be able to unblock every region of Netflix with PIA, but it generally works reliably for India
PIA not working on the Android in India
If you are unable to connect to PIA on Android in India, your problem could be caused by one of the following:
- Battery/storage saving app interfering with PIA connection.
- App cache issues that need clearing.
- Buggy app.
You should disable any battery management apps. If that doesn’t work, clear the cache stored in your PIA app from the settings menu. Finally, you should uninstall the current app and make a fresh installation. Or you can take a look at other Android VPNs in India .
PIA not connecting to Windows 10 in India
Follow the two sets of instructions below to resolve the connection issue of PIA on Windows 10 in India.
Protocol Change :
If PIA is not connecting in India, then you just need to follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
- Right-click on the PIA VPN icon in the menu bar or system tray.
- Click on “Settings“.
- Select “Connection” from the pane on the left side.
- Set the “Connection Type” to “UDP“.
- Change “Remote Port” to “1194“.
- Click “Save” and reconnect.
- If the issue persists, disconnect from the VPN and change the remote port to 8080 and reconnect. If it still doesn’t connect, change to 9201, or 53 and Save then reconnect.
- If you still don’t manage, go back to “Advanced settings“.
- Disconnect the VPN and change the connection type to “TCP“.
- Change remote port to Auto then click Save and reconnect.
- If the issue persists, Change the remote port to 443, then Save and reconnect.
Windows users that find PIA stuck on connecting might be facing an IPv6 issue in India. One proven solution to this problem is to disable IPv6.
Here’s how you can disable IPv6:
- Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings.
- Right-click your internet connection, then click Properties.
- Uncheck the box next to Internet Protocol Version 6 and press OK.
Some speed issues with PIA may be caused due to the newer TAP adapters in Windows. You can try uninstalling your current adapter and installing an older one by following these steps:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type in devmgmt.msc.
- In the device manager, find and click Network Adapters to expand this section.
- Right-click the TAP-Windows Adapter and uninstall it.
- Now, install the older OpenVPN TAP driver from this link.
- Run the installer.
- Launch PIA once the installation has finished.
This should fix your Windows connectivity issues. If you’re looking for other VPNs, see this article on VPNs for Windows in India.
PIA kill switch not working in India
Users of PIA are probably aware that this VPN has a bit of a troublesome kill switch as reported by several users in India:
The good news is that these issues only exist in older versions of PIA apps. So, if you’re facing problems with the kill switch in India, try updating your app to the latest version. This should fix the problem and enable you to use the killswitch without any problems.
PIA Port Forwarding not Working in India
If PIA does not connect properly in India after setting up port forwarding, your Windows Defender firewall settings might be causing the problem. After setting up the required port forwarding number in the app you want forwarded ports for, follow these steps:
Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
Search for the app you are applying port forwarding to and check both private/public options.
Visit CanYouSeeMe.org and enter the 5-digit port forwarding number in “Port to Check”.
This should fix your port forwarding problems right away.
PIA Chrome Extension not Working in India
If the PIA Chrome extension is giving you problems in India, you will need to clear the browser cache and cookies. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press Ctrl+H and click on “Clear browsing data”
- Click on the Advanced tab > Select “All time” in the Time range drop-down
- Now check the boxes next to “Cookies another site data” and “cached images and files” > Clear data
After clearing these files, restart Chrome and try connecting to PIA again.
PIA Alternatives in India
Tried all the steps above but still have PIA not working. Maybe it’s time to cancel PIA in India and choose a new VPN. For instance, here’s how PIA compares to PureVPN in India, a super affordable VPN with top-notch features:
|Price||INR172.5/mo (US$ 2.08/mo)||INR 174.99/mo (US$ 2.11/mo)|
|Servers||6500+ in 140 countries||19480+ in 76 Countries|
|Customer Support||24/7 live chat & email support||Knowledgebase & tickets|
|Logging Policy||Zero logs||Zero logs|
Unfortunately, there’s no PIA free trial in India for new users to try out, so your only option is to cancel it within the first 30 days if you have changed your mind and want your refund.
Private Internet Access is a decent VPN service in India, but it may undergo annoying errors that need fixing. You can resolve most PIA not connecting in India issues with the steps mentioned above, but if you’d rather try a different service, you can go with PureVPN which is quite inexpensive for the value and benefits it offers.
For more information, see this PIA VPN review in India.
But if you still want to revive PIA and get it to work again in India, there is hope yet.