If you want to protect your online traffic and enjoy high speed using a VPN without losing access to your local network devices, use the best VPN with split tunneling in India. A split tunneling VPN enables you to route some of your device or app traffic over the secure VPN tunnel.
When you connect to a VPN, data moves between your device and the internet via a proxy server that works as a middleman. For certain activities, you do not want all of your traffic to pass through the VPN server. Split tunneling allows you to select precisely which apps, devices, or websites you want to use a VPN connection on and which ones use a regular ISP.
Split tunneling enables your VPN in India to process data quicker since your entire traffic won’t be routed via a single tunnel. As a result, you can get a seamless, bufferless streaming and torrenting experience.
After testing 70+ VPNs, we bring you the 5 best VPNs with split tunneling feature in India, with ExpressVPN taking the lead, as it even offers the feature for router app so that you can choose devices as well. Although VPN providers that support this feature usually brand it by different names, networking experts like to call it “split-tunneling.”
In this article, we will explain the concept behind split tunneling, its advantages, and recommend the 5 best VPNs with split tunneling.
Quick Overview: The Best VPN with Split Tunneling in India 2023
Here is a brief overview of our selected best VPN with Split tunneling in 2023:
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN with Split Tunneling in India. Offers a split tunneling option on Windows, Mac, Android, and router apps as well. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly Split Tunneling VPN. Highly affordable VPN for using split tunneling feature on Windows and Android, available for INR189.42/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).
- NordVPN – Secure VPN with Split Tunneling. Offers split tunneling feature on Windows and Android apps. Comes with other powerful features like a kill switch, Nordlynx, OpenVPN protocol, and more.
- CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN with Split Tunneling. Offers dedicated servers with tons of features, including split tunneling on Windows and Android apps.
- PIA – Popular VPN with Split Tunneling. Its split tunneling feature is available on Windows, Android, Mac, and Linux.
The Best VPN with Split Tunneling in India 2023 [ In-Depth Analysis ]
Split tunneling is a feature provided by very few VPN services. That said, after hours of research and testing, we’ve listed the 5 best VPNs just for you. Not only that, we keep in mind other important secuirty features that are essential for your online security.
Dig in further to get a complete analysis of the best VPN with split tunneling tested in 2023:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN with Split Tunneling in India
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Device-based split-tunneling for routers
- 88.78 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- Split tunneling test: Passed
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Price: INR549.3/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan)
- Split tunneling is available on Android, Windows, routers, and macOS apps (except macOS11 and above)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN with a split tunneling feature that offers flexible configurations. You can get ExpressVPN split tunneling feature on Android, Mac, and Windows apps in India. Unfortunately, for iOS and macOS 11 and later, split tunneling is not supported.
You can configure ExpressVPN split tunneling in three different ways:
- All apps use the VPN: This configuration is enabled by default, and it basically treats all your traffic equally. Use this setting if you want all of your apps to use the VPN in India.
- Do not allow selected apps to use the VPN: This setting allows you to choose apps that you DON’T want to be using the VPN.
- Only allow selected apps to use the VPN: This setting reverses the logic used by the above configuration. Here, you have to choose the apps that you DO want to be secured with ExpressVPN in India.
For details about the split-tunneling feature, you can check out the tutorial page on the official website.
If we talk about the ExpressVPN speed test in India, we enabled its split tunneling feature for streaming and took a test, we recorded an average download speed of 88.78 Mbps and an upload speed of 54.22 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection.
Besides this, ExpressVPN has excellent features for boosting the security and privacy of users, like an ExpressVPN kill switch in India. For encryption, it uses the AES-256 standard and supports modern tunneling protocols, including OpenVPN and the latest Lightway protocol. It also has a Threat Manager feature that protects your device from malware attacks.
The 3000+ servers in 94 locations get the job done perfectly well when you want to unblock any censored websites from anywhere in the world. Furthermore, it’s high power encryption technologies also help bypass ISP throttling in India, allowing you to browse freely.
ExpressVPN is available for INR549.3/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan) with a 30-day money-back guarantee in India. You can try it risk-free for 30 days or use ExpressVPN’s free trial in India. If you like the service, it offers a 3-month free subscription on its 12-monthly plan and 6 simultaneous connections on all of its subscription plans.
Read our complete ExpressVPN review India for more details.
- Split tunneling at the router level for each device
- Include both split-include and split-exclude options on its Windows app
- Excellent speed in India
- 24-hour live chat customer service
- Compatible with Netflix and other streaming services in India
- Expensive than its competitors in India
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly Split Tunneling VPN
- 3200+ servers in 100 countries
- Surfshark Split Tunneling called WhiteLister
- NoBorders mode
- Split tunneling test: Passed
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Price: INR189.42/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)
- Split tunneling is available only on Windows and Android
Surfshark is the most affordable VPN with a split tunneling feature in India, available for INR189.42/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) with a 30-day money-back guarantee. It has pretty much every nifty feature bundled in a single package that any other provider has to offer. This includes split-tunneling, which is branded by the company as WhiteLister.
As the name implies, the WhiteLister allows you to select all apps that should use the VPNs. All the apps left unchecked in the WhiteLister function will be left untouched by Surfshark, allowing these to communicate to the Internet directly.
Talking about Surfshark speed test in India results after enabling the split tunneling feature. We recorded a great download speed of 81.32 Mbps and an upload speed of 76.12 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
In addition, the 3200+ servers in 100 countries are more than capable of bypassing any censored websites with ease.
The service has built-in features like MultiHop, CleanWeb, Whitelister, AES-256-GCM encryption, and DNS leak protection. You can browse privately using the Surfshark bypasser and Camouflage Mode.
With a single Surfshark subscription in India, you can connect as many devices as you want, as it supports unlimited simultaneous connections. There are apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and more.
Try Surfshark’s free trial in India. To find out more about this service, explore our Surfshark review India.
- Split your traffic at a low price
- Unlimited device connections in India
- Offers strong encryption
- Unblock all the major streaming platforms in India
- Server speeds fluctuate a little in India
- Limited server network
3. NordVPN – Secure VPN for Split Tunneling
- 5500+ servers in 60 countries
- 6 simultaneous connections
- 82.82 average download speed in India
- Split tunneling test: Passed
- specialized P2P servers
- Get at INR328.59/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan)
- Split tunneling is available on Windows, and Android
NordVPN is probably the most secure VPN in India with a split tunneling feature. It offers a split-tunneling feature in its Android and Windows apps only.
Speaking of this feature, NordVPN’s split-tunneling works on the exclusion principle. When you enable this feature, the apps you select will be routed directly through your ISP, while the apps left unchecked will stay on the VPN tunnel. This feature works flawlessly with all compatible platforms except iOS in India.
NordVPN offers a server network of 5500+ servers in 60 countries. NordVPN apps are available for multiple platforms, and you can simultaneously connect up to six devices in India.
NordVPN speed tests in India were so fine when we used its split tunneling feature during remote work. We experienced an average download speed of 83.82 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.64 Mbps for uninterrupted streaming.
Apart from this, NordVPN offers Obfuscated servers in India and advanced security features such as AES-256-GCM encryption, Onion Over VPN, and the kill switch. NordVPN also offers a Double VPN technology in India that gives you additional security by routing the traffic through multiple VPN servers.
Best of all, NordVPN is based in the jurisdiction of Panama, which is considered safe according to our in-depth Five Eyes in India guide.
You can get NordVPN for only INR328.59/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan), and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee on all premium plans. You can also try NordVPN’s free trial in India to check out its split tunneling feature.
To find out more about this service, explore our NordVPN review India.
- Cover your browser traffic using the split tunnel
- Fair speeds
- Compatible with US Netflix and other streaming services in India
- High-level security features
- Best VPN tunnel via NordLynx
- The server connection can be slow at times in India
4. CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN for Split Tunneling
- 9700+ servers in 91 countries
- Lightning-Fast Connections
- Split tunneling test: Passed
- 7 simultaneous connections
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Split tunneling is available on Android only in India
- Split tunneling is available on Windows 8 via “Exceptions” section
CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN that supports split-tunneling functionality. Like most other VPNs, CyberGhost split-tunneling works by creating a list of apps that you want to secure.
On the Android app, you can follow the below image to enable your CyberGhost split tunneling feature.
For Windows 8 app, it offers an exception feature that works as a Split tunnel. All the apps excluded from this list will remain outside the VPN tunnel. You can even exclude websites by adding their URL in the exception menu. Check out this guide for India, CyberGhost Support, for a clear idea.
Along with the well-functioning split-tunneling feature, CyberGhost offers various security protocols such as OpenVPN (TCP / UDP), IKEv2, and L2TP/IPSec. CyberGhost also uses AES 256-bit encryption, with SHA384 hash authentication and RSA-4096 key encryption.
During the Cyberghost speed test in India on a 100 Mbps connection, we recorded a decent download speed of 75.47 Mbps and an upload speed of 69.34 Mbps.
CyberGhost offers 9700+ servers in 91 countries and its apps have a user-friendly interface that even a beginner can use in India. There is also a section with dedicated servers for streaming, torrenting, gaming, and NoSpy servers for security.
It is compatible with all major devices, including Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, browsers (Chrome, Firefox), and more. It also supports 7 multi-logins so that you can secure multiple devices simultaneously.
CyberGhost is available for just INR173.77/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and offers extensive 45-day money back guarantee. Try Cyberghost’s free trial in India, and for any query, you can also reach out to its 24/7 Customer Support.
Find out more about this VPN in our in-depth CyberGhost review India.
- Offers feature Website split-exclude and app split-include
- Rapid and trustworthy service
- No-Logs policy
- Dedicated servers for streaming in India
- Not suitable to use in China
- Doesn’t offer split tunneling on iOS in India
5. Private Internet Access – Popular VPN with Split Tunneling
- 35000+ servers in 84 countries
- Advanced Split Tunneling
- World-Class Protocols
- Split tunneling test: Passed
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Price: $2.19/mo. (save 82% OFF)
- Split tunneling is available on Windows, Android, Mac, and Linux in India
PIA is a popular VPN that packs an excellent split tunneling feature. PIA’s split tunneling feature is built directly into its apps and allows users to select which apps should be using the VPN tunnel and which should directly access the internet in India.
You can find the split tunneling feature under the Network tab in Settings. One of the most distinguishing features of PIA is its large server network. PIA has more than 35000+ servers in 84 countries.
Despite being compatible with iOS, PIA doesn’t support split tunneling in any Apple device in India. However, you can use this feature on all desktop devices, including macOS, Linux, Windows, and more. Split tunneling is also available in its Android applications under the name “Per Settings”.
Aside from split tunneling, PIA offers powerful features like a secure kill switch and IP/DNS leak protection. You can choose from AES 128-bit and AES 256-bit encryption, although 256-bit is recommended as it offers better security. It also offers a feature called Built-In Ad Blocking feature called MACE, which blocks ads and malware.
PIA speed test in India result was not as impressive as other VPNs in this guide, but we recorded a fair download speed of 65.78 Mbps and an upload speed of 57.16 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
PIA is headquartered in the USA (a major member of the 5/9/14 Eyes alliance). However, the provider offers a strict no-logs policy, and it is safe to use. PIA does not log any identifiable user data, so you are safe with this provider in India.
If we talk about pricing, PIA is quite affordable, costing only INR173.77/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) . PIA also gives its users the freedom to secure 10 simultaneous connections and also offers a free trial and a full 30-day Money Back Guarantee.
To find out more about this service, explore our PIA review India.
- Quite affordable for the security features it provides
- Thousands of servers spread all over the world
- Audited Zero-log policy
- Split tunneling is available on all desktop devices in India
- 24/7 Customer Support in India
- Not quite as quick as ExpressVPN
- Split tunneling is not available on smartphones in India
- US-based VPN provider
Benefits of VPN split-tunneling in India
Split tunneling VPN gives the benefit of securing online activity while facilitating quick internet access in India. Let’s take a look at the other benefits of this feature below:
- Split tunneling enables your VPN in India to process data more quickly because you aren’t tunneling all of your traffic through a single tunnel.
- Split tunneling enables you to choose which website traffic or data should traverse via your VPN in India and which should not.
- Split tunneling enables you to use your VPN to access geo-restricted websites and streaming content in India while using your local internet connection to access local services. By turning on the split tunneling feature, you can make the most of search engines and websites that function best when they are aware of your location.
- Split tunneling allows you to access local resources in India, such as printers, through your LAN, whereas still benefiting from VPN security.
How do you Set Up a Split Tunnel in India?
Follow these simple steps to activate split tunneling on your device in India:
- Open the VPN’s Settings or Menu, and go to “Options.” We are using ExpressVPN to show you this setup.
- From the general setting, you should be able to manage your VPN split tunneling configuration on specific apps or URL basis.
- Following that, you can decide which apps use the VPN in India and leave those unchecked which run on an open network.
- Here you go! You can now manage your device traffic through split tunneling in India.
Should I use Split Tunneling on VPN in India?
If you want to secure your important data without slowing down your internet, you should definitely use a VPN split tunneling in India. For example, if you have high-end security software installed on your PC that offers the same security protections as your firm, then you do not need to use VPN split tunneling in India. But if you do not have such software, you must use VPN split tunneling in India for traffic headed to the server of your company.
Moreover, a split tunneling VPN in India may be a good option for you if you’re happy to divide your online activity into activities you want to keep private and ones you think do not need much protection.
Best VPN with Split Tunneling in India FAQs
Let’s look at some frequently asked questions.
Is it safe to use split tunneling in India?
Yes, it does. Split tunneling poses a few security risks. Data that is not routed through a secure VPN encrypted tunnel is not shielded by the firewall, EDTR tools (endpoint threat detection and response), antimalware, and other security procedures in India, leaving it open to access by ISPs and cybercriminals.
Can I use a free VPN for split tunneling in India?
Yes, you can use a free VPN with split tunneling in India, but we do not recommend using them. Split tunneling is a feature only available by a few VPN providers in India on specific apps, which are premium services. Free VPNs lack in providing basic security features, and they offer no encryption at all. Some free VPNs monitor their users’ online activity and sell that data to advertisers.
So, it is best to avoid free VPNs in India instead of a premium VPN service.
Does split tunneling slow down in India?
No, using a VPN with split tunneling can be a remarkably effective way to safeguard your private data without slowing down your internet connection in India. If you decide to route it through your regular network, it does disclose part of your traffic to your ISP.
Does split tunneling in India add latency?
No, split tunneling does not increase your latency in India. Try ExpressVPN split tunneling if you want to get low latency with fast downloading speeds in India.
As the guide for the best VPN with split tunneling in India ends, we hope that you got the idea of what VPN split tunneling is, how a split tunneling VPN works, and whether to use it or not.
For your ease, we have tested this split tunneling feature on all of the 5 best VPNs in India. However, it’s impossible to pick the best one. Still, if you ask, we recommend you install ExpressVPN split tunneling if you don’t want to compromise on your speed connections in India.
However, you can also learn more about the other split tunneling VPN service in India that most attract you. Additionally, each service has a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24-hour live chat support in India, so they can assist you with your queries.
So make the most of the VPN split tunneling in India and make your online activities secure and your online streaming fast!