Kodi 17 Krypton has been turning heads ever since its release. With a slick user interface and major developments to improve the overall performance, it is high time to update Kodi on Firestick. Amazon’s streaming device already offers numerous channels to watch different content online. When you combine Kodi with Firestick, the streaming options are unparalleled. Don’t forget to use a VPN for your Firestick device.
However, those of you using previous versions of Kodi, it is advised that you upgrade to the latest versions. This is because many new features and add-ons are no longer compatible with Jarvis v16 or earlier versions. Therefore, we have created a step-by-step guide to update Kodi on Firestick / Fire TV.
Sadly, Kodi does not offer a built-in updater or supports Google Play Store to automatically upgrade the software to the latest version. To update Kodi v17 Krypton on Firestick, you will need to remove the earlier versions and perform a clean installation. If you need a refresher regarding this, check out our guide on how install Kodi on Firestick or use any one of the following methods.
Method 1: Update Kodi Using Downloader
Note: Before you start the procedure for updating Kodi, make sure that you have enabled ‘Apps from Unknown Source’. Do to this, go to Firestick or Fire TV Settings, then Device or System, and finally to Developer Options. Once this is done, just follow these steps:
- Lookup ‘Downloader’ in the search option given at the top of Firestick screen
- Download and install the Downloader
- Launch Downloader
- Enter the following URL: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-17.0-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk
- A setup will appear and will ask you to update Kodi on Firestick, click ‘Install’
- Now launch Kodi and check if your settings, addons, and skins are saved
Method 2: Update Kodi Using ES File Explorer
The second method to update Kodi is through ES File Explorer. The process is similar to the method we illustrated when installing Kodi on FireTV. To give you a quick recap, here are the steps for updating Kodi through ES File Explorer:
- Enable the options ‘Apps from Unknown Source’, ‘ADB Debugging’ and ‘USB debugging’ from Developer Options
- Search for ES File Explorer using the search function located at the top of Firestick or Fire TV
- Install ES File Explorer
- Once it is installed, launch ES File Explorer
- Click on ‘+Add’ located on the left corner to add source to favorite
- Now enter the URL: http://kodi.tv, name it as Kodi17 and click ‘Add’
- Download the .apk file of the latest build for Kodi v17
- Once the setup has downloaded, click on ‘Open file’ (do not click ‘Open Folder’)
- Install the latest version of Kodi
- Launch Kodi v17 on Firestick and check if your add-ons and settings are saved
Method 3: Update Kodi through AppStarter
Another way to update Kodi is through AppStarter app. You can use ES File Explorer to add AppStarter app to your Firestick or FireTV. Once it is installed, launch AppStarter and update Kodi on Firestick. This way you should be able to use Kodi v17 Krypton latest version with ease. However, do make sure that your add-on library is restored after the update.
To wrap things up, the latest version of Kodi provides a fresh look and performance improvements. Therefore, it is important that you update Kodi to the latest version, v17 Krypton. We have illustrated few methods to update Kodi on Firestick / Fire TV. You can use any one of the methods to upgrade to the latest version.
We would recommend the first method as it is the easiest of the lot. It also requires few steps and using Downloader, you can use v17 Kodi on Firestick in an instant.
So was our guide helpful? Did you find another way to upgrade Kodi on Fire TV? Do let us know in the comments below.