Virtual Private Network (VPN) is compulsory in a FireStick device due to a number of reasons. It helps you unblock geo-restricted apps and its content that you may otherwise not find in Amazon App Store. Further, it keeps your online privacy protected at all times when your FireStick device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
This guide explains how to install VPN on FireStick, but before that learn about some best VPN for FireStick that ensures online security and privacy.
Method 1: How To Install VPN on Firestick [The Easiest Method]
Step 1: Launch FireStick Home > Then go to ‘Apps’ located at the top of the screen
Step 2: Now select the Categories section > Then tap on Utility
Step 3: Select PureVPN or any other VPN provider from the table listed above > Hit Download or Get button
Step 4: Once downloaded, select Open > Sign In to the PureVPN app i.e. Username and Password
Step 5: Select VPN Server location > Press Connect > Enjoy Internet Freedom!
Method 2: How To Install VPN on Firestick with ES File Explorer
Step 1: Open FireStick device > Click on Settings > Then Device > Select Developer Options
Step 2: Now Turn On Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
Step 3: Roll back to Amazon Fire Stick Main Menu > Click Search option > Type ‘ES File Explorer’
Step 4: Tap on the ES File Explorer icon > Then Hit Install
Step 5: Now launch EX File Explorer
Step 6: Click on Tools > Now select Download Manager located in the left-side menu
Step 7: Click on the option ‘+New’ > Type the Path for PureVPN i.e.
http://bit.ly/VPN-APK > Click OK
Step 8: Type the name of the Path i.e. PureVPN > Then hit Download Now
Step 9: The installation file for PureVPN will now begin to download
Step 10: Once it is downloaded, select Open File to install the app on Amazon Fire Stick
Step 11: Now go to FireStick Main Menu > Launch the PureVPN app
Step 12: Sign In to PureVPN > If you haven’t yet signed up to PureVPN, then subscribe from the table provided above. Enjoy using VPN on FireStick
Method 3: How To Install VPN on Fire Stick Using an Android Device
Step 1: Open your Android device > Select Google Play Store
Step 2: Search ‘Apps2Fire’ app on Google Play Store > Then Install
Step 3: Also install PureVPN app from Google store if you do not have already
Step 4: Now open FireStick Home > Click on Settings > Then Devices or System option > Now select Developer options
Step 5: Enable Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
Step 6: Now go to FireStick Home > Then click on Settings > Select System
Step 7: Tap on About > Then Network > Here you will need to note down the FireStick IP address, you will need it afterwards.
Step 8: Now open Apps2Fire app on your Android device > Then click on Setup
Step 9: Here you need to paste the IP address of FireStick that you noted in Step 7
Step 10: Select Local Apps option > Search PureVPN
Step 11: Click on PureVPN > Click Install
Step 12: Once the installation is complete, it will notify you.
If you are looking for detailed version then read our blog on how to setup PureVPN on firestick.
Method 4: How To Install VPN on Firestick, Fire TV, & Fire TV Cube
Step 1: First, subscribe to PureVPN
Step 2: Open FireStick > Click on the Search icon from the top menu
Step 3: Type PureVPN > Click on the option that appears down below
Step 4: Click on the Download button
Step 5: Once installed, Launch PureVPN app
Step 6: Enter Log In details > Connect to a server > Enjoy streaming!
How to Use VPN on FireStick 1st Generation
Once you have installed VPN on FireStick 1st Gen, you need to know how to operate it. One important thing to know about a VPN is that it can change your IP to any other country by switching a server. If you connect to a US server, it will change your original IP into US IP.
If you’re streaming anything on FireStick, make sure you are connected to OpenVPN protocol. This is the fastest and most secured VPN protocol by far. OpenVPN protocol is present as default in a VPN, but if not, you can change it from its Settings menu.
VPN services such as Nord use OpenVPN as the default protocol. Read our NordVPN for Firestick guide to learn more.
Connect Fire TV Stick to a VPN-enabled Virtual Wi-Fi Router
Virtual Wi-Fi route can be setup using a newer version of laptop that has the ability to create a Hotspot. Before you begin, you need to install the desktop VPN app from the VPN providers’ website. Now follow the steps highlighted below:
- Before we begin, we need to check whether your laptop supports virtual routers. For that, go to Windows Search bar > Type cmd > Right-Click on Command Prompt > Select Run as Administrator
- Type netsh wlan show drivers on the Windows Terminal and press Enter
- Look for the option that says ‘Hosted Network Supported’, and if it says Yes then it means your laptop support virtual router
- Now type netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<Your -Network> key=<Your-Password> You need to replace ‘Your Network’ and ‘Your Password’ with the network name and password of your choice > Then Press Enter
- You will be able to setup a virtual router by now. Turning ON the virtual router needs you to type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press Enter
- Next step is to share virtual router amongst other devices. For that, Press Windows Key +R > Run command prompt will where you need to type ncpa.cpl > Press OK
- A list of connections will appear, the same network name will appear that you have inserted in Step 4 > Remember the name of the network
- Right-click on Network that says TAP Windows Adapter and select Properties
- At the top menu, click on the Sharing tab > Check both the boxes that you see below
- Under the Home Network Connection option > Then press OK
- Select OpenVPN protocol > Connect the server to US or any other country
- Your laptop is now a virtual Wi-Fi router
Connect Fire TV to a VPN-enabled physical Wi-Fi router
DD-WRT routers are the best when it comes installing a VPN. It has a simple interface, easier to setup, and comes with a built-in router firmware. They are extremely versatile and therefore it allows FireStick to connect with its Wi-Fi router. Here is the process to install a VPN on DD-WRT router.
Update VPN on FireStick app
The one problem that you might face when sideloading VPN apps is that, they do not receive automatic updates. Hence, we have outlined other methods that will help you to update VPN app on FireStick:
- Open FireStick > Go to Settings > Click on Applications > Manage Installed Applications
- Find and click on VPN app > Select Force Stop
- Repeat Method 1 or Method 2 as discussed above
- A message will appear that will ask your permission if you want to update the VPN app
- Select YES > Launch the VPN app as it will be updated
For further details view the detailed guide of Best FireStick Apps.
The Wrap Up
VPN is a necessity in this tech savvy world where there is geo-restrictions with websites and video content, and allowing you to access those content. VPN is compatible in FireStick device and that is exactly what we have shown in this guide where we discussed how to install VPN on FireStick. Follow these steps and ensure online safety while streaming.