Q1. How common is VPN Error 789?
A1. Almost all the VPN users experience VPN error 789 and frankly speaking there is nothing to be worried about because it is one of the most common VPN errors.
Q2. I am not a tech-savvy person. What should be my immediate response?
A2. If you ever get Error 789 on your system, always make sure to restart the VPN. Restarting the VPN would make it work most of the times.
Q3. I tried doing that but no luck. What now?
A3. If the error doesn’t go away, you should try the following steps.
How to Fix VPN Connection Error 789
The following solution is for Windows 7 and Windows Vista users only.
- Click on the Startup menu, located on the left bottom of your screen and type “services.msc” in the Search Box. When “Services” appear, right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”
- Now find “IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules” and “IPsec Policy Agent”
- Check the status, right click to “restart” if it states “started”
- If the “started” option is disabled, enable it
- Now right click and scroll down and click on Properties
- Select the “Startup type” and change it to “Automatic” and save
- Restart your VPN and it should work smoothly now
Q4. What causes the VPN Connection Error 789 in first place?
A4. If you are ever prompted with L2TP Error 789, it might be due to the fact that your system is not perfectly set up to get connected to an L2TP server. The connection attempt fails even before a connection is established with the server. VPN Error 789 is linked with incorrect configuration of user’s operating system.
Q5. What should I do if my problem remains unsolved?
A5. In case the Error 789 still exists, we advise you to contact your VPN service provider at earliest. Most of the VPN providers assist their users 24/7; you can contact them via Live Chat or Ticket system.