Internet restrictions in Sri Lanka are very closely tied to the country’s prevailing law and order situation. During the economic crises in the country, citizens have endured government-sponsored censorship on social media sites like Whatsapp and Facebook. Moreover, some popular streaming services are unavailable in Sri Lanka because of geo-restrictions. Additionally, you cannot use your internet services freely in Sri Lanka owing to censorship and throttling. This is why you need the best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users to enjoy full internet access without any interruptions.
A reliable VPN service will let you bypass geo-restrictions and ISP throttling on these services, secure your online activities, and reduce the risk of cyberattacks.
For this, we have tested 150+ VPNs and made a list of the best VPNs for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users. The good thing is they all offer servers in the Sri Lankan location. Now you can easily access your local services like Hiru TV and Swarnavahini from abroad using a Sri Lankan IP address.
So let’s take a quick look at each of them. We have also done a detailed analysis of these VPNs with the Sri Lanka server For Hong Kong Users, so you will not have difficulty choosing the best option.
Quick Overview – The Best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users
Here is a brief overview of the best VPN for Sri Lanka in Hong Kong tested in 2023:
- ExpressVPN – The Best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users. Offers 3000+ servers worldwide with 1 server location in Sri Lanka. Offers AES 256-bit encryption and an exclusive MediaStreamer feature for unblocking Sri Lanka content.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for Sri Lanka. Offers DNS leak protection and unlimited simultaneous connections. Unblocks major streaming services at only HKD 18.03/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) .
- CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN for Sri Lanka. It offers dedicated servers for various activities, eliminates ISP throttling, and offers OpenVPN protocols.
- PIA – Best torrenting VPN for Sri Lanka. Supports SOCKS5 and port forwarding. Offers P2P-optimized servers for Sri Lanka. Unblocks major streaming services of Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users.
Jump straight to learn:
Testing methods for choosing the best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users | FAQs
4 Best VPNs for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users (In-Depth Analysis)
To find out the best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users, we tested 150+ VPNs based on their servers, security protocols, encryption, logging policies, and unblocking capabilities in Sri Lanka. Only the ones that excelled at all of these tests are included in the following list:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users
- Sri Lankan servers: 1 server available in Sri Lanka
- Unblocked streaming services: Netflix (US and Sri Lanka), Disney Plus, Hulu, YouTubeTV, BT Sport.
- Encryption protocols: OpenVPN, AES 256-Bit, IKEv2
- Device compatibility: iOS, Windows, Mac, Smart TVs, Fire Stick, Kodi, Android, PS4, etc.
- Speed: 87 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- DNS leak test: Passed
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users, delivering exceptional speed, top-notch security, and 100% privacy in Sri Lanka. It boasts a strong network of 3000+ servers in 94 countries, including 1 Sri Lankan server location. All of these servers share remarkable consistency in speed and performance.
With its server located in Sri Lanka, you can stream local TV channels such as ART Television, Channel C, Colombo TV, and Dream TV if you live in Hong Kong.
If you reside –in–Hong Kong and want to access all popular streaming services worldwide, then you can also utilize ExpressVPN’s wide server network to stream international content, such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and many more.
ExpressVPN offers an average download speed of 87.18 Mbps and an upload speed of 52.13 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection, so you never have to worry about any lags and buffers while streaming local channels online. You can check out its speeds in our ExpressVPN speed test in Srilanka.
Apart from that, you can set up a single ExpressVPN subscription on 5 devices simultaneously. Meaning you can protect almost all the devices in your home at a single time.
ExpressVPN offers lightweight apps for most of the popular devices that users own. These include macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Firestick, Roku, Linux, routers, etc.
What’s more, is that this VPN also offers highly efficient security and privacy to keep your identity safe and hidden on the web. You can use ExpressVPN’s kill switch in Srilanka, so your internet is disconnected if your VPN connection drops.
It also offers an AES 256-bit encryption, no-logging policy, and an exclusive MediaStreamer feature that lets you bypass geo-restrictions without altering your own IP. ExpressVPN did not leak our actual IP. This ensures that the VPN is completely safe to use in Sri Lanka.
ExpressVPN offers a 3-month free subscription on its annual plan for users to enjoy at just HKD52.28/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan). Nonetheless, if you find the service lower than your expectations, you can always demand a refund within 30 days.
To learn more about this service, check out our ExpressVPN review in Hong Kong .
- The finest option for getting a Sri Lanka IP address
- Fast servers for smooth streaming
- Unblocks major streaming platforms
- One server location available in Sri Lanka
- Consistently unblock local Sri Lankan content
- Both PayPal and Bitcoin are accepted
- Expensive subscription plans but worth the money security features
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan servers: 1 Sri Lankan server
- Unblocked streaming services: Netflix (US & Sri Lanka), Hiru TV, Disney+, TV Derana, Amazon Prime Video,
Sirasa TV, Hulu, Swarnavahini, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Encryption protocols: OpenVPN, AES 256-Bit, WireGuard, and IKEv2.
- Device compatibility: Windows, Mac, Android, Samsung Smart TV, Xbox, iOS, and more.
- Speed: 81 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- DNS leak test: Passed
Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN for Sri Lanka. You can enjoy streaming and browsing while painting online privacy at just HKD18.03/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
It offers 3200+ servers in 100 countries. Some of its servers are located in Sri Lanka location. Now, you can easily bypass geo-restrictions and watch your local Sinhalese shows on TV Derana and Hiru TV on a low budget.
We connected to the Sri Lanka server and accessed some local channels online from abroad. We even watch our favorite dramas on the Swarnavahini channel without buffering.
This VPN is also beneficial if you want to unblock international geo-restricted content, such as unblocking Hulu, Disney+, BT-Sports, ITV, Channel4, and Netflix using Surfshark in Sri Lanka.
While this VPN offers an average speed of 81.32 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection, it is not as fast as ExpressVPN. Nonetheless, it is still plenty fast. You can check out its speeds further in our Surfshark speed tests in Srilanka.
The thing that gives Surfshark dominance over the rest of the providers is its ability to support an unlimited number of devices on a single subscription.
Regarding device compatibility, you can set up Surfshark on your macOS in Srilanka, Windows, Android, iOS, Android TV box, Firestick, Roku, Chromecast, PlayStation, Xbox, Linux, Router, and Smart TV anytime you like.
This VPN is another no-logs VPN for privacy-seeking online users. It offers several features, such as CleanWeb and MultiHop, which protect you against data harvesters and cyber criminals.
Finally, the cost HKD18.03/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan), 30-day money-back guarantee, and unlimited simultaneous connections make Surfshark a valuable tool to have for better privacy and internet access in Sri Lanka.
Read our Surfshark review in Hong Kong for more details.
- The best affordable subscription plans
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Effective at unblocking local Sri Lankan content
- Accept payments in cryptocurrency
- Changing servers might be time intensive and inconvenient
3. CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN for Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan servers: 14 servers Available in Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Unblocked streaming services: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Disney+
- Encryption protocols: AES 256-Bit, OpenVPN
- Device compatibility: iOS, Windows, Mac, Android, Fire Stick, Smart TVs, PS4
- Speed: 75 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- DNS leak test: Passed
CyberGhost is one of the easy-to-use and reliable VPN services for Sri Lanka. This VPN has 9700+ servers in 91 countries, including 14 servers within Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The Sri Lankan servers will give you faster speeds and access to blocked websites such as Nethra TV, Sarana TV, Siyatha TV, and Swarga TV from outside Sri Lanka. We enjoyed hours of streaming our favorite shows on HiruTV without lag issues.
For users within the country, CyberGhost offers the benefit of streaming multiple services like Netflix, BBC, Hulu, Channel4, ITV, etc. This VPN offers an average speed of 62 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection which is comparatively less than ExpressVPN but does a decent job of bypassing geo-restrictions.
This VPN offers the most user-friendly apps for almost all major devices, including iOS, Android, Roku, Kodi, Fire Stick, Mac, Windows, and more, along with 7 multi-logins for users to enjoy.
CyberGhost has a strict no-logging policy. It also offers a kill switch, split tunneling, anonymous browsing, OpenVPN protocol, and AES 256-bit encryption.
We also checked CyberGhost’s speed on its Sri Lanka servers. On a 100 Mbps connection, we recorded an average download speed of 75.47 Mbps and an upload speed of 69.34 Mbps, which is actually good for streaming.
As such, whether it is better privacy you are seeking in Sri Lanka or uninhibited online access, CyberGhost is a decent VPN, especially considering its HKD16.54/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and 45-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t find the service extremely useful, you can always cancel your CyberGhost subscription.
Please find out more in our detailed CyberGhost review in Hong Kong.
- Super easy-to-use apps
- Exceptional unblocking powers for Sri Lankan content
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming and torrenting
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Military-grade encryption
- Payment options are restricted
- Doesn’t work in China and Russia
4. PIA – Best Torrenting VPN for Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan servers: Multiple servers available in the Sri Lanka location
- Unblocked streaming services: Amazon Prime, YouTube, Hulu, HBO, American Netflix.
- Encryption protocols: OpenVPN, AES 256-Bit.
- Device compatibility: Mac, Smart TVs, Windows, iOS, Kodi, Android, Fire Stick, Xbox.
- Speed: 69 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection
- DNS leak test: Passed
Private Internet Access (PIA) is the best torrenting VPN for Sri Lanka. It consists of 35000+ servers in 84 countries, and 11 of these are located in Sri Lanka. This VPN offers multiple P2P-optimized servers across the globe so users can torrent safely in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lankan expatriates can keep up with their local shows on TV channels such as Vasantham TV, TNL TV, Swarga TV, The Buddhist, Ridee TV, and many others, thanks to PIA’s server Sri Lankan servers.
The service works efficiently for unblocking geo-restricted streaming services like Netflix, ESPN+, Sony Liv, ABC, UKTV, and many more within Sri Lanka. So fans of online binge streaming will find PIA a trusty VPN to have.
PIA’s torrent-friendly servers can deliver an average speed of 69.45 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. It also unblocks all torrent sites that have been blocked within Sri Lanka. For speeds of other worldwide servers of PIA, you can go through our PIA speed test guide.
You can enjoy PIA on multiple devices, including Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, Roku, Kodi, and more for torrenting.
It has a complete zero-logging policy to enhance user privacy and offers security features to guarantee security further. These include IPv6 leak protection, DNS secure, a kill switch, and powerful AES-256 encryption. After changing the connection of your VPN to Sri Lanka IP, PIA can keep your privacy safe and make it difficult for the government or hackers to see what you do online in Sri Lanka.
It costs HKD16.54/mo (US$ 2.11/mo) and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and 10 multi-logins. Overall, PIA is an excellent VPN to protect your privacy and unblock streaming services.
You can learn more about this VPN in our PIA review in Hong Kong.
- Browse and stream safely with PIA Sri lanka servers
- 10 simultaneous connections per account
- WireGuard is deployed on all servers and provides unrestricted bandwidth
- Strict no-logging policy
- Due to a low server speed, certain streaming services may be unreachable
Test Methodology: How we tested the best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users
We tested more than 150+ different VPN providers on the following criteria to find the best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users:
- Server locations: The VPNs for Sri Lanka should have a large list of servers available. This factor allows users to change their IP addresses in Hong Kong and break restrictive barriers to any location. All the VPNs above offer thousands of servers throughout the globe for users to connect to and enjoy any geo-restricted streaming service they like.
- Obfuscation: ISPs in Sri Lanka often ban the use of VPNs. So, to hide your VPN activity from ISPs, we preferred VPNs with stealth mode and an obfuscation feature.
- Encryption: A safe and secure connection is essential to prevent threats such as hackers stealing your credit card and other sensitive information. We ensured that the premium Sri Lanka VPNs listed above offer only the industry-level encryption standards, such as 256-bit.
- Unlimited bandwidth: A VPN can quickly become useless if it places a bandwidth limit that you have run out of. You need to receive unlimited bandwidth, especially if you are using a VPN to access streaming services. All the VPNs we listed as the best VPNs for Sri Lanka have no data cap.
- Logging policy: Some VPN providers keep logs of users, which means that users’ privacy can be undermined. Therefore, we thoroughly reviewed the logging policies of every provider we listed to ensure that they do not keep any user logs.
- Money-back guarantee: All of the suggested VPNs for Sri Lanka come with money-back guarantees, so you can first try them out, and in case you are not satisfied, you can claim your refund.
- Ability to bypass geo-restrictions: To enjoy geo-restricted streaming services and websites from all over the world, you’d require a VPN. All the best VPNs for Sri Lanka listed above unblock geo-restricted streaming services within seconds and let you access them easily.
3 reasons why you need a VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users?
Following are the reasons why you should consider using a VPN while accessing the internet in Sri Lanka:
- Unblock streaming sites VPNs allow you to bypass geo-restrictions on websites that are not available in Sri Lanka. Also, if you’re traveling outside the country and you need a Sri Lanka server VPN to access your local Sri Lankan channels from abroad.
- Avoid Censorship: A VPN can help with the government’s frequent blocking of social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Viber in Sri Lanka.
- Stay Anonymous: VPNs offer an easy way out to secure your online activities in Sri Lanka. They offer top-notch security features like a kill switch, DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and more. You can easily download torrent files and stay anonymous at the same time.
Furthermore, due to the current increase in cyberattacks, using a VPN to protect your online activity over public Wi-Fi in Sri Lanka is now even more important.
Free VPNs to Avoid For Sri Lanka in Hong Kong
According to our testing, we have found some free VPNs that you should avoid using in Sri Lanka:
- HOXX VPN: This is a subpar VPN with minimal capabilities that cannot ensure the basic privacy and anonymity you need to browse the internet safely. Find more about this VPN in our Hoxx VPN review in Hong Kong.
- HOLA VPN: This is one of the worst VPNs and should be avoided. It logs your internet activity and then sells users’ bandwidth & personal information to unknown parties. Read more about this in our HolaVPN review in Hong Kong.
- HideMyAss: It does not work well for streaming and has a troubling history of data sharing. We also found a problem with its kill switch feature. When we connect to the HMA US server, it doesn’t change our Sri Lankan IP address. Find out more about this VPN in our HideMyAss Review in Hong Kong.
Internet Surveillance in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users
Internet accessibility in Sri Lanka is not free. The government leads intensive surveillance, especially on all political and news websites. Also, a lot of foreign channels and websites are blocked in the country.
Internet censorship is enforced there to support conventional social values and to maintain political stability. Any online content that initiates conversations about women’s rights is strictly prohibited in Sri Lanka.
While the need for these talks is completely logical in all aspects, as gender inequality is a significant problem, the government has been blamed for using this as an excuse to censor and even block unrelated websites.
Nonetheless, you can circumvent all the prohibitive measures that the government has put in place using the best VPN for Sri Lanka. If you are concerned about your privacy in Sri Lanka, either because of government surveillance or increased cyberattacks, you need to find a trustworthy VPN service for your device in Sri Lanka.
There are various reasons why any individual will need to use a VPN in Sri Lanka besides protecting themselves from government surveillance. More people are using the internet to purchase services and commodities online. As such, many hackers and phishing agents are looking for your personal data.
Let’s not forget that the Sri Lankan authorities block social media sites from time to time. Therefore, accessing Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc., becomes impossible without a VPN. Therefore, a VPN for Sri Lanka helps you protect all your online activities from all these threats and bypass geo-restrictions effectively.
FAQs – Best VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users
Let’s take a look at some frequently asked questions for the best Sri Lankan VPN For Hong Kong Users.
Can I torrent legally in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users?
Yes, you can safely torrent files in Sri Lanka. However, using a torrent to download copyrighted content is still considered illegal in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users and many other countries.
Which is the most reliable VPN in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users?
After testing 150+ different VPNs, we found that ExpressVPN is the most reliable VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users because of its military-grade encryption, extended network of international servers, and excellent geo-unblocking capabilities.
Are VPNs illegal in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users?
Yes, VPNs are 100% legal in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users. In fact, using a dependable VPN, like the ones on our list, offers you to safeguard your online activities against government snooping and allows you to surf the web anonymously.
Which VPN has Sri Lanka servers For Hong Kong Users?
ExpressVPN offers more than 3,000 servers worldwide, and Sri Lanka is one of the 94 nations where you easily get a Sri Lankan IP address For Hong Kong Users. We highly recommend this VPN because of its fast speeds, connection stability, and high-security servers.
Should I use a free VPN for Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users?
No, the Sri Lankan government has a history of human rights violations and has already banned access to key social media sites such as Facebook and WhatsApp. As a result, free VPNs should be avoided in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users because they are notorious for selling users’ data to third parties. Because of these considerations, you should utilize a premium VPN, or you can go through our guide for the best free VPN for Sri Lanka when surfing the internet in Sri Lanka.
Should I use a VPN if I live in Sri Lanka For Hong Kong Users?
Yes, because the government of Sri Lanka has regulated online activity and prohibited a number of social websites, such as Facebook and Whatsapp. You may restore access to all of your preferred streaming services and social media apps with the help of the best Sri Lankan VPN For Hong Kong Users.
To guarantee secure access to all international content, complete online privacy from prying eyes, and security to avoid tracking, you definitely need the Best VPN for Srilanka For Hong Kong Users.
While there are many contenders for this title, only a handful come true to their words and offer you the ultimate VPN experience. Among such providers, only one provider could be called the best VPN for Sri Lanka: ExpressVPN.
You can avail of ExpressVPN’s 3-month free subscription if you go for its 12-month plan. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can easily use it in Sri Lanka and enjoy its services risk-free.