There are few countries in the world where government surveillance upon citizens is as wide-ranging as in the US. Over the past few years, eye-opening disclosures of NSA’s role in wiretapping average people’s phones and monitoring internet traffic without going through the necessary legal procedures have revealed just how neglected our right to privacy has become on American soil.
Since we can’t leave anything to governments these days, protection of our privacy is something we need to take in our own hands. The easiest way to do that is to use a free VPN for USA.
However, finding the right free VPN isn’t so straightforward, considering that many free providers have turned out to be scams stealing our data, rather than boosting privacy. But there are still some trustworthy VPNs that can boost your privacy on the internet:
- Surfshark– 1,000+ servers, unlimited bandwidth.
- Windscribe – 10 free servers, 10GB/month limit.
- ProtonVPN – No bandwidth limit, 3 servers available.
- Hide.Me – 5 servers, 250MB/day.
- TunnelBear – 20+ servers, 500MB/month bandwidth limit.
- Browsec – 4 servers, no bandwidth limit.
What’s the best VPN to get a US IP address for Free?
The following VPN services are all legitimate and trustworthy for use within USA. However, most of these have some limitations in the free version. If you want a VPN with all advanced features unlocked for maximum privacy, see this article on premium USA VPNs.
1. Surfshark – Unlimited bandwidth
Surfshark is a paid VPN service, but the good thing is that you can utilize its 30-day money-back guarantee for (desktop users) and 7-day free trial (for Android users). This way, you can free ride on Surfshark for a limited time and experience the web with your privacy contained.
This VPN is also quite efficient for purposes such as torrent downloading and streaming. Since the USA has strict penalties for online piracy, it is extremely important to download torrents after ensuring that your real identity remains hidden from any third-parties. Surfshark is equipped with IP/DNS leak protection and kill switch to prevent your information from leaking while using the VPN.
The provider offers 1,000+ servers in 60+ countries, with more than 20 of these servers within the USA. Furthermore, it is based in British Virgin Islands and follows a zero-logging policy which puts your under the radar of American surveillance agencies.
Surfshark is quite easy on the pocket, costing $1.99/mo so even if you decide to purchase it, it will hardly upset your budget.
Read this Surfshark VPN review for more details.
2. Windscribe – 10GB/month
Windscribe is another reliable VPN service with a user-friendly logging policy and a good range servers for free. In the free version of the app, the provider offers 10 servers including the US. The server works with decent speed and allows you to surf the US cyberspace with your privacy protected. However, the service has a bandwidth limit of 10GB/month.
For more information, see this Windscribe review.
3. ProtonVPN – Unlimited bandwidth
ProtonVPN is one of the few completely free VPNs that offers unlimited bandwidth with no additional costs. The provider has an appealing app design and offers fast speeds. However, it only has 3 servers in the free version, Netherlands, Japan, and the US. For privacy protection and good connection stability, ProtonVPN is a remarkably powerful VPN that you can easily use to get a US IP with.
Learn more about this service in ProtonVPN review.
4. Hide.Me – 2GB/month
Hide.Me uses AES-256 encryption and good logging policy to guarantee users their right to privacy online. The free version has 5 server locations which include Singapore, Canada, Netherlands, US East and US West. Hide.Me also offers a free US proxy service that you can run directly from its website. It is a good VPN for maximizing your privacy to ward off government surveillance in the US, but the 2GB/month limit can run out too fast.
If you want to know more about this VPN, check out Hide.Me review.
5. TunnelBear – 500MB/month
TunnelBear is a Canadian VPN service that is quite popular as a free provider. The app has the cutest design and is good for changing your IP address to that of 20+ different locations, including the US. Americans that need stronger privacy from spying agencies or cybercriminals will find a reliable service in TunnelBear. Unfortunately, the 500MB/month limit is too much on the lower side.
To learn more, see this TunnelBear VPN review.
6. Browsec – Unlimited bandwidth
Browsec offers 4 VPN servers for free, US, UK, Singapore, and Netherlands. The provider has dedicated apps as well as browser extensions, which are really convenient if you just want to encrypt your browsing sessions and enhance your online security. The best thing about this app is that it has no bandwidth restrictions, but it can slow down your internet connection somewhat. This shouldn’t be a big problem for American users because of high base connection speeds at the consumer level.
For more information, see this Browsec VPN review.
How to get a US IP address for Free
You can get a US IP address with Surfshark VPN’s free trial. Follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to Surfshark VPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Launch the app on your device and enter login credentials.
- Connect to a US server to get an American IP address for free.
Why Do You Need a VPN in the US?
There are several reasons why VPNs are getting more important to have within the US with the passage of time. Most importantly, US citizens should use VPNs for the following reasons:
- State-sponsored surveillance: The NSA has been involved in mass surveillance of US citizens in the past. The Snowden disclosures further proved just how widespread NSA’s surveillance operations are in the US. VPN services, especially those based outside the US, can be quite effective in protecting users from government surveillance. Therefore, privacy-conscious US citizens should use internet through the protection of VPNs.
- Safety over public Wi-Fi: Public Wi-Fi networks are usually insecure and lack even basic password protection to enable mass access. However, this paves the way for hackers and malicious users to breach data of unsuspecting users. VPNs make your connection significantly more secure and your communications tightly encrypted, preventing anyone from the outside from getting a sniff of it.
- Safe torrenting: The US has strict anti-piracy laws and anyone found guilty can be fined up to $150,000 per file and even put in jail for five years in the worst case scenario. VPN not only unblock banned torrent websites but also ensure that you are able to download files with your identity anonymized and kept private from third-parties.
Disclaimer: We do not encourage nor condone the use of VPNs for any illegal activity, including copyright infringement.
Is there a completely free VPN for USA?
There are several completely free VPNs for USA including Windscribe, ProtonVPN, TunnelBear, Browsec, and Hide.Me.
How can I get a free US IP address?
To get a free US IP address, you need to connect to a free VPN service that offers servers within the US.
Which free VPN works with US Netflix?
UrbanVPN is a free p2p-style VPN that works with US Netflix.
The privacy situation in the USA is worsening with the passage of time. It is essential for any US citizen that wants their privacy intact and safe from government agencies to use a free VPN for USA and get instant digital protection. After all, privacy is only your democratic right and if the governments can’t respect it, we’ll just have to do the honors ourselves.