Canada is free from any mandatory data retention requirements on ISP nor is censorship a big problem in the country.
Nonetheless, the country is one of the main members of the Five Eyes, and agencies in the country have never been very forward about their data retention practices of private communication records of citizens.
Therefore, it is important for Canadians to take measures to protect their privacy on their own terms. A free VPN for Canada can help you boost the privacy of your online activities.
But finding the best free VPN can be a difficult task. Many services available for free can be destructive to privacy, as they may sell your private information to third parties and even inject malware into your device.
While a free VPN isn’t such a bad idea to protect your online anonymity, it is still not as nearly sufficient as a premium VPN provider like ExpressVPN will be. Many free VPN providers offer military-grade encryption but secretly sell your private data to various organizations. Only a trusted VPN like ExpressVPN will not only secure your digital footprints in Canada but also ensure that you enjoy all the unlimited perks of a premium VPN that you can never enjoy with a free VPN. It also comes along with a 30-day money-back guarantee with 3-months free on the annual subscription.
The good news is that there are still some legitimate VPNs available for free that are capable of guarding your privacy against government surveillance.
Why Free VPNs are discouraged in the Canada?
You’ll find below a few reasons that should be enough to convince you as to why using a free VPN in Canada is a very dangerous idea.
- Almost all of the free VPN providers offer limited bandwidth on their accounts.
- It is also a well-known fact that many free VPN providers are caught selling their user’s personal data and internet activity to different third-party organizations.
- Most of these VPN providers offer 3 or 5 servers across the globe. This number of servers isn’t sufficient enough to determine the worth of a VPN.
- With just a few servers and large numbers of users connecting to them, it is highly likely that you will face slow speed issues on regular basis.
Before we get into our Free VPNs for Canada, it is worth knowing that there are premium VPN providers out there which can cost you as low as just $2.49/mo and offer much better security, privacy, and performance than a free VPN can ever offer.
Some benefits of Premium VPNs:
Free VPNs can never be better than premium VPNs. Let’s check out why:
- Huge server network with servers in many major countries
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming, torrenting, and gaming purposes
- Automatic load-balancing on each server for a better online experience
- AES-256 encryption and no-log policy for complete security and privacy
- Money-back guarantee and compatibility with all major platforms
Quick Overview – Free VPN for Canada
Short on time, here is a quick overview of the best free VPN for Canada:
- Windscribe – A great free VPN with one Canada server, 10 GB/mo data, and unlimited connections.
- ProtonVPN – Secure free VPN for Canada with unlimited data and 48+ Canadian servers.
- TunnelBear – A popular free VPN for Canada with 500 Mb/ mo data and 5 simultaneous connections and access to 22 servers.
- Urban VPN – A great VPN for Canada with unlimited bandwidth and 21+ server locations including Canada.
- SurfEasy – A great VPN for Canada with military-grade encryption and a 500 MB per month data limit.
Best Free VPN for Canada
The following VPN services can be acquired for free, but there are always some limitations when you’re not paying for a product. If you’d rather use a full-fledged VPN with all advanced features unlocked, check out this list of premium VPNs to avoid IP leakages in Canada.
Windscribe is another free Canadian VPN service. It offers 10 servers locations including Canada if you opt for the free version. The provider has a streamlined app for Android phones as well as for other platforms as well including Windows, MacOS, Linux, and iPhones.
Windscribe uses AES-256 encryption and has a privacy-focused logging policy. Unfortunately, your bandwidth is capped at 10GB/month unless you upgrade your plan to premium, which will cost you $4.08/mo for a 1-year subscription.
The free version itself is quite handy if you need extra privacy while downloading torrents or when browsing websites where you might require privacy of your sensitive information. The fact that it offers a sever in Canada it is a good choice for locals, since free providers are often lacking in server availability.
You can find out more about this service in our Windscribe VPN review.
- Free Canada server
- AdBlock, P2P, Firewall
- Decent speed
- 10 GB/mo data limitation
ProtonVPN is an all-around powerful free Canada VPN for Windows 10, MacOS, iPhone, and Android. It is also one great Ubuntu VPN. It is rare for free providers to offer unlimited bandwidth. ProtonVPN is a part of this elite group of VPNs with no data caps.
The provider offers decent privacy with its no-logs policy and very strong AES-256 encryption. The major downside of this VPN is its low server variety, as you only get 3 server locations in the free version: Netherlands, Japan, and the US. The Netherlands server works best for users that want to unblock torrent websites and download p2p files in anonymity.
Although there are no Canadian servers in ProtonVPN’s free plan, you can still use the other servers to deal with geo-restrictions on some websites and generally improve online privacy within the country.
To learn more about this VPN see this ProtonVPN review.
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Military grade encryption
- No logging
- No free Canada servers
TunnelBear is based a free VPN service based in Canada. This provider offers over 20+ servers and has a free VPN server in Canada as well. It features an well-designed app with a cute bear roaming around the map of available servers.
But other than that, it has a privacy-friendly logging policy and uses AES-256 encryption. It has a reasonably good unblocking capability but doesn’t work with popular streaming services like Netflix in the free version. The greatest drawback of this VPN is its puny bandwidth limit of only 500MB/month.
Therefore, the key benefit of this VPN for Canadian users is that it offers a locally situated server and works best in small doses for privacy-sensitive tasks.
For further information, go through this TunnelBear review
- OpenVPN with 256-bit encryption
- Server in Canada
- User-friendly apps
- 500 MB/mo bandwidth limit
UrbanVPN offers a VPN service in Canada for free. This VPN has unlimited bandwidth and an impressive network that encompasses 20+ locations. The USP of this VPN is that, despite being free, it can unblock Netflix. So, if you’re looking for the best free VPN for Netflix in Canada, UrbanVPN may be just what you need.
However, it uses a Hola-like p2p-networking technology which raises doubts as far as the capability of this VPN in protecting your privacy is concerned. Moreover, it does retain some logs such as user IP addresses, which isn’t ideal if you want to remain an invisible Canadian with your identity hidden on the web.
As such, this VPN is only recommended if your desire to unblock US Netflix is greater than your privacy needs.
To learn more about this service, see this Urban VPN review.
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Works with Netflix
- Free Canadian server
- p2p-style infrastructure
SurfEasy comes with 2000 servers in 31 countries and offers both free and premium versions. Although its free versions get you only 500 MB per month of data, it still offers AES-256-bit encryption, built-in DNS leak protection, OpenVPN, and IPsec protocol.
It is extremely compatible with macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS devices while fully capable of unblocking different streaming content such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and many others.
If your VPN usage is high, the bandwidth limit of this VPN won’t be enough for you to utilize in the whole month. Moreover, the VPN doesn’t come with an internet kill switch, does not have a clear logging policy, and has the most unsafe jurisdiction- the US.
For more information, check out this detailed 2021 SurfEasy Review!
- 500 MB free data per month
- Servers in 31+ locations
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Compatible with multiple devices
- Does not allow torrenting
- Does not work with Netflix
How to Get a Canadian IP address?
Follow these steps to get a Canadian IP address from abroad:
Why you need a Canadian Free VPN?
- Surveillance: The Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) maintains records of electronic communications in the country. CSEC has never publicly disclosed how long it retains the private information of Canadians obtained from electronic communications. The silence of the agency in this matter suggests that the truth might be uncomfortable to discover and surveillance might be more extensive than generally assumed in the country. It should also be remembered that Canada is a part
- Streaming: Many popular streaming services such as US Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer are geo-restricted and only work within certain regions and are unavailable in Canada. You will need to acquire an appropriate IP address to access these services, which can be easily done with a VPN like Surfshark.
- Protection from cybercriminals: Cybercrime is a problem everywhere in the world, including Canada. It is important to make it difficult for cybercriminals to track you online on wireless and other networks. The best free VPN Canada can elevate your digital privacy and reduce the likelihood of falling victim to a cyber-attack.
Canadian Server Count Comparison
|Free VPNs||Canadian Server Count||Data Limit|
|Surfshark||3200+ servers in 65 locations including 90+ servers in Canada||Unlimited data|
|Windscribe||10 server locations including 1 server in Canada||10GB/mo|
|ProtonVPN||1,225+ in 54+ locations plus (no Canada server in free version)||Unlimited data|
|TunnelBear||22+ servers in 23 countries including Canada||500MB/mo|
|UrbanVPN||21+ server locations including 1 server in Canada||Unlimited data|
Yes, you can get a Canadian IP address with a free VPN service that has servers in Canada such as Surfshark and Windsribe.
Surfshark is the best free VPN for use in Canada if you opt for its 30-day free trial. The service can unblock US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and a host of other streaming services while also strengthening your online privacy.
Surfshark’s 30-day free trial works with Netflix in Canada. If you need a totally free service to unblock Netflix, you can try UrbanVPN.
The increasing concerns over the online privacy situation in Canada have increased the need for VPN. The above-mentioned free VPN for Canada, the top among which is Surfshark, can enhance your privacy while giving you unrestricted access to the web at a single stroke.
If you have any thoughts to share about privacy in Canada and how you ensure its protection, don’t forget to leave a comment below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?