An IP address is an Internet Protocol Address that is used to identify different devices on a network. An IP address is like a postal address for various devices. IP addresses in Germany act as an identifier that is used to send information between devices on a network. Your IP address contains your device location and information that is required for communication.
There are two types of IP addresses in Germany – public and private. We will discuss each in detail below, and ways to find your private IP address in Germany on various devices.
What’s the difference between private and public IP addresses in Germany?
Public IP addresses are used to locate your device on the internet in Germany. Without public IP’s it would be impossible to communicate with other devices over the internet. When you are searching stuff online, the web sends pages to your browser via your public IP address in Germany.
You can check your public IP address by using the following tool in Germany:
As for the private IP address, it is used to identify your device on a local network connection, as opposed to the internet. It basically allows other devices that are connected to your router to communicate with your device. Each device gets a public IP address to identify it online, and a private IP address on local networks.
How to find your private IP address in Germany
Below we have highlighted how you can find your private IP address on various devices including Windows, macOS, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and iOS in Germany.
Find your IP address on Windows in Germany
To find your private IP address on Windows PC, follow the steps below. It works on all Windows platforms including Windows 10.
- Go to Start > type CMD > Open
- Type this command in the command prompt app: ipconfig
- Scroll down, and you can find your local IP address under “IPv4 Address”
Find your IP address on macOS in Germany
If you are Macbook or iMac user, you can also find your IP address, just like in Windows. There is no such thing as a random IP address; your IP address is what identifies you on the internet. Many Mac users do not know how to find IP address on Mac in Germany.
Follow these steps below:
- Click Apple logo
- Head to System Preferences > click Network
- Select the network you are connected to > on the right, look under Status
- You will see your private IP address listed underneath.
Find your IP address on Linux in Germany
If you have a Linux Ubuntu distro, you can check your IP address by following steps:
- Go to Activities (top-left)
- Type ‘Network‘
- Click Settings next to your connection
- In the popup window, you will see your IP address (‘IPv4 Address) under the Details tab.
If you are using other Linux distros, you can find your IP address using Terminal, as follows:
- Open Terminal (press Ctrl+Alt+T)
- Type this command and press enter: ip addr show
- In the results, look for ‘inet’ line (it will be under ‘link/ether’)
- The first 4 digits following the ‘inet’ line is your private IP
Find your IP address on ChromeOS in Germany
To find your IP address on ChromeOS, follow these steps below:
- Select Launcher
- Type ‘Settings’ > press Settings cog that pop-ups
- Under Network, you can see the active network that you are connected to. Click on it.
- Under ‘Known Networks’ click your active network again
- It will display options related to your network, including your ‘IP address’ (this shows your private IP address).
Find your IP address on Android in Germany
On Android devices, you can find your private IP address from Settings. Follow these steps below to change or find your IP address on Android in Germany devices including smartphones. I am using a Samsung smartphone.
- Navigate to Settings
- Under Settings go to Wi-Fi
- Click on the network you are connected to
- Your private IP will be visible below.
Find your IP address on iOS in Germany
If you have an iPhone or an iPad, follow these steps below to find your private IP address on iOS devices:
- Navigate to Settings
- Click on Wi-Fi
- On the network, you are connected to click the ‘i’ icon.
- Scroll down, and you can see your private IP address.
Hide Your Private IP Address in Germany
Your IP address acts as an identifier that tells websites who you are. Your IP address identifies you online, and your ISP, government agencies, and hackers can see what you are doing online by tracking your IP address. Therefore, for maintaining your online privacy, you can hide your IP address from external factors.
The best tool to hide your IP address is using a VPN. With the best VPN provider, you can connect to any server location and mask your real IP address and get the IP address of another country. For example, It will hide your physical location and sensitive information online.
Our top recommendation is ExpressVPN. And ExpressVPN is the best VPN to get an Chile IP address because ExpressVPN hides your real IP address and lets you use your new Chilean IP address in Germany to access exclusive Chilean content this VPN have 3000+ servers across 94 countries at your disposal. With ExpressVPN at your side, no one will be able to track you online, the sites you visit, and your browsing habits. Apart from these methods, you may also change IP address from command prompt in Germany.
You can learn more about it in our ExpressVPN guide in Germany.
Different Countries IP Addresses in Germany:
- Get a Hungarian IP Address in Germany
- Get a Uzbekistan IP Address in Germany
- Get a Colombia IP address in Germany
- Get a Thailand IP Address in Germany
- Get a Bangladesh IP Address in Germany
- Get a Malaysian IP Address in Germany
- Get a Georgian IP Address in Germany
- Get a Cyprus IP Address in Germany
- Get a Romania IP Address in Germany
- Get a US IP Address in Germany
- Get a Indian IP Address in Germany
- Get a Peru IP Address in Germany
- Get a Luxembourg IP Address in Germany
- Get a Estonian IP Address in Germany
- Get a Sri Lankan IP Address in Germany
- Get a Kuwait IP Address in Germany
FAQs-Private IP Address in Germany
Is 172 a private IP address in Germany ?
Yes, only ‘172’ and ‘192’ addresses are designated for private use. The remaining IP addresses that don’t start with 172 or 192 are public IP addresses and are routable on the internet in Germany.
What are three private IP addresses ranges in Germany?
According to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) the following three IP address ranges are for private use only:
- 10.0. 0.0 – 10.255. 255.255 (10.0. 0.0/8 prefix)
- 172.16. 0.0 – 172.31. 255.255 (172.16. 0.0/12 prefix)
- 192.168. 0.0 – 192.168. 255.255 (192.168. 0.0/16 prefix)
What is a 192.168 IP address in Germany?
The 192.168 IP address is one of the private IP addresses that is used as the default IP address for routers, including models like D-Link, Cisco, AT&T, Linksys, and more. It is used by many vendors as a default getaway in Germany.
With the steps mentioned above, you can find your private IP address in Germany on various devices. Keep in mind that your private IP address is used by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to identify and track you online. It can also be used by third parties to track your online activities – thus posing a serious risk to online privacy and security.
Fortunately, with a virtual private network (VPN), you can mask your private IP address and browse the internet privately and securely.