Switzerland is known for its free cyberspace governed by lenient laws and regulations. At the same time, however, the country has some of the strictest data retention laws in all of the EU. All consumer metadata is stored for 12 months in the country, which is a serious privacy concern.
This is why VPNs are needed for Swiss people that want to make their data more private and difficult to trace for agencies. With a best VPN for Switzerland, you can protect yourself from snooping eyes of your Internet Service Provider (ISP), hackers and even government agencies.
So in order to help you make the right choice, here is a brief over of the Best VPN Switzerland for 2021.
7 Best VPNs for Switzerland
The following services are all high-quality VPNs that deliver top-notch performance with solid privacy to keep yourself protected from government surveillance:
ExpressVPN operates a network of 3,000+ servers spread over 94 countries, with a few servers in Switzerland as well. All of these servers deliver fast speeds and outstanding connectivity. It is a powerful VPN and is also one of the best VPN in Finland.
ExpressVPN is also located in the British Virgin Islands, as is the case with Surfshark. As such, the zero-logging policy is also strictly followed by this provider. For Swiss users that want to escape mandatory data retention in Switzerland, this VPN is one of the best that you can have.
Furthermore, ExpressVPN protects user privacy with features such as obfuscation and kill switch. These come in handy if you want to perform torrenting safely, although piracy is taken very leniently in Switzerland.
The one problem with ExpressVPN is the higher relative price of $6.67/mo . The provider also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and allows 5 devices to connect at the same time.
For a full evaluation of this service, see our ExpressVPN review.
- Superfast servers in 94 locations
- High download speeds for streaming & gaming
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney + and more.
- Excellent customer support available over live chat 24/7
- Only VPN with a Safari browser extension
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly more expensive than other VPNs
Surfshark has over 3,200 servers located in 65+ countries including Switzerland. You can unblock any restricted website or streaming service with these servers irrespective of its availability status within Switzerland.
Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, a country that fully recognizes the right of users to stay maintain their privacy. The zero-log policy of Surfshark ensures that users can trust their privacy with this service courtesy of their privacy-friendly jurisdiction. With data retention laws in Switzerland, the need for a privacy-protecting VPN is pretty high.
If you’re blocked from accessing streaming or other websites in Switzerland, you can rely on Surfshark to pass through restrictions easily. This service is also quite beneficial for users who want to access geo-restricted content such as US exclusive titles on Netflix.
At the cost of $2.49/mo , unlimited simultaneous connections, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, Surfshark is a pretty good choice to have for Swiss citizens or expatriates.
Read our Surfshark review for more details.
- More than 3,200+ servers in over 65 countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Keeps no logs
- Built-in adblocker, anti-malware features
- Works with major streaming platforms
- Fast servers with stable connectivity
- Limited P2P servers for torrenting
- Customer support live chat is inconsistent
NordVPN consists of 5,500+ servers distributed in over 60 countries, with 112 of these in Switzerland. These servers are perfectly capable of protecting your online activities from the view of Swiss surveillance while also giving complete access to blocked websites.
NordVPN is based in Panama where no data retention laws are applicable. As a result, the company follows a completely zero-logging stance to keep users, considering the increasing threat of surveillance from Swiss intelligence authorities.
Furthermore, the provider comes packed with excellent features like Onion over VPN, CyberSec, and DoubleVPN for that extra protection of users that feel vulnerable for their privacy.
Additionally, the provider adds the icing on the cake, by offering 6 simultaneous connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee for the reasonable price of $4.13/mo .
Learn more about this VPN in our NordVPN review.
- More than 5500 servers worldwide
- Top-notch security and encryption
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Easy compatibility with Smart TVs and other devices
- Unblocks Sky TV, HBO, Disney+ and more
- Some servers take too long to connect to
- Desktop app is sluggish, needs updating
IPVanish has a network of 1600+ servers is distributed in over 75 countries including Switzerland. This server strength is more than enough to give you access to geo-restricted websites in Switzerland. The Swiss servers are pretty good for accessing local streaming channels like SRF1, 3+, 4+, and 5+ from abroad.
IPVanish follows a no-logging policy. For Swiss users, this is quite advantageous in terms of enhancing your web privacy. Another amazing feature of IPVanish is that it allows unlimited simultaneous connections like Surfshark, so you can connect as many devices as you want with one IPVanish account.
In addition, IPVanish also offers support for torrenting and contains extra features like kill switch and DNS leak protection, to further consolidate the privacy of users in Switzerland. With a 31-day refund policy to the booth and a price of $2.62/mo , you can rely on IPVanish to deal with your privacy worries.
For more information, read this IPVanish review.
- 90+ servers in Amsterdam
- A great choice for Kodi devices
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- 256-bit military-grade encryption
- Fast speed servers
- US-based VPN
- Doesn’t always work with Hulu or Netflix
CyberGhost has a total of 6,600+ servers in 89 countries. That is a massive network that also includes 150 servers in Swiss land in the cities of Zurich and Huenenberg.
It is unsurprising that you can access local Swiss channels including SRF with this network of powerful servers both within Switzerland and abroad. You can also gain access to US Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer with relevant CyberGhost servers.
CyberGhost is one of the most transparent VPNs out there and publishes transparency reports every year. It also has an excellent no-logging policy that inspires user trust. So, if you’re in Switzerland and want to make sure your activities aren’t out in the open on the web for agencies to see, CyberGhost can raise a sturdy wall of privacy between you and the internet.
It is also quite reasonably priced, costing $2.25/mo . The generous 45-day money-back guarantee and 7 simultaneous connections make the offer even more enticing, especially when considered alongside its remarkable features and performance for Swiss users.
You can also read our CyberGhost review for more details.
- Provides 6,600+ servers in over 90 countries
- Uses AES-256 encryption
- Allows 7 simultaneous connections
- Good unblocking ability
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Easy to use
- No advanced features
- Occasionally slow server speeds
PIA VPN provides 35,000+ servers in 77+ countries globally. Besides, the service offers 441 exclusive servers in the country that allows Swiss users to access their favorite local content from outside Switzerland. Moreover, you can unblock Netflix, and other famous streaming services while staying in Switzerland.
The USA based VPN service delivers a zero-log feature that helps you remain anonymous and secure from the vicious eyes of government agencies, ISPs, and snoopers. Similarly, you can avail of other privacy benefits such as internet kill switch, port forwarding, DNS leak protection, and split tunneling to safeguard your digital footprints online.
You will have to bear the cost of $2.69/mo to get a PIA VPN subscription that is coupled with other benefits like 10 multi-logins, DDoS protection, and 30 days refund.
Read this PIA VPN review to know more about the service.
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- 35,000+ servers in 77+ countries
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- 10 simultaneous connections
- No lags on Mac and Windows
- Based in the U.S (member of 5 eyes)
- Can only unblock some Netflix libraries (US, UK, Canada)
VyprVPN is a Switzerland-based VPN that has over 700+ servers in 70+ countries including Switzerland. The provider offers Swiss people the ability to bypass geo-restrictions on all kinds of websites including Netflix.
This makes this VPN excellent from the privacy point of view alone, especially for the Swiss who are deprived of it. But VyprVPN doesn’t stop here. In addition, VyprVPN uses a proprietary Chameleon technology that prevents websites from tracking you are using a VPN.
With a $1.66/month price and a 30-day money-back guarantee, VyprVPN is an excellent choice for Swiss users.
Read our VyprVPN review for more details.
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- Obfuscation feature (Chameleon)
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Audited no-logs policy
- Works with popular streaming sites like Netflix, iPlayer and more
- Few servers
- No anonymous payment option
How we tested the best VPN for Switzerland
There are a few criteria that should bear in mind before you purchase a top-notch VPN service. We tested these 7 best VPN for Switzerland on the following criteria:
- Server locations: VPN providers that offer a good geographical distribution of servers have better restriction-bypassing power. It is therefore important for a VPN in Switzerland to possess a respectable server distribution.
- Encryption protocols: A good VPN should use advanced encryption protocols to ensure the protection of users from hackers and other malicious parties.
- Ability to unblock geo-restricted content: The VPNs mentioned above come with strong unblocking capability and can unblock major streaming sites in Switzerland like Netflix, BBC iPlayer and more.
- Swiss IP Addresses: We made sure to bring you VPN services that offer plenty of Swiss IPs so you can access regional content and sites from abroad.
Free VPNs that work in Switzerland
Free VPN services are in great demand especially in countries with heavy Internet censorship. However, many users fall into the trap of using free services without taking into account their privacy policies. It is no secret that quite a few VPN services collect and sell user data to third party agencies.
One of the major reasons behind the use of a VPN in Switzerland are to access blocked sites, use public wifi securely, and to access financial and banking services. All these tasks require fast speeds and unbreakale encryption standards. However, free VPNs offer poor, substandard encryption, limited IP addresses and log user data.
In short you cannot safely access banking sites on free VPNs because there is a high chance they will steal your data. Why? Because free VPNs make money by mining user data and selling it to third-party advertisers. Therefore, free VPN services violate user’s right to privacy.
Therefore, using a free VPN for online banking in Switzerland is a big NO. For essential tasks, you should stick to premium, paid VPNs mentioned in the list above. Nonetheless, if you still want to use a free VPN for streaming or browsing there are a few trustworthy VPN providers in the market. These are described below:
You can find out more about these services in this article on free VPN service providers.
Why do you need a VPN in Switzerland?
VPN services offer a multitude of benefits to users. As online freedom of users continues to be challenged by laws such as net neutrality and data retention, the importance of VPNs is increasing. Here are some of the key benefits of using a VPN in Switzerland:
- Access streaming websites: Streaming websites such as Netflix offer different libraries in different regions. The largest library is available to users in the US. As such, many titles are unavailable for users outside the US and the UK. With a VPN, you can obtain a different IP address and surf the web as it is available from different locations.
- Online privacy: Agencies in Switzerland have sweeping powers and can access user metadata without their permission. This is a serious privacy issue that can be resolved with the use of a VPN proven to have a strict stance against logging.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi: Hackers love to target public Wi-Fi hotspots. This is because the public Internet is easy to access and lacks proper encryption. Before connecting to public Wi-Fi, you should first use a strong VPN to layer your packets with encryption, giving you better protection from hackers.
How can I change my VPN to Switzerland? – Quick Steps
Follow these steps below to set up and use a VPN in Switzerland:
How to watch Swiss Streaming Sites outside Switzerland?
Follow these steps to get a Swiss IP address and watch Swiss streaming sites outside Switzerland:
Once you connect to a Switzerland server, your real IP address will be masked and you will be given a Swiss IP address. As a result you can access any local Swiss channel or streaming site from abroad. If you are outside Switzerland, you can stream the following local channels from abroad with a VPN:
- Rouge TV
- Comedy central Schweiz
- Star TV
FAQs about best VPNs for Switzerland
Yes, using a VPN is perfectly legal in Switzerland. However, keep in mind that using a VPN for illegal activities is a crime. Therefore, if you are using a VPN for legal activities, you are good to go.
Using torrenting sites like Bittorrent is illegal in Switzerland, however, in the past no one has been prosecuted for downloading or sharing P2P files. However, Switzerland was recently placed in the blacklist of countries with weak copyright laws.
Therefore, the government is going to take measures to change that. This is the reason why most Swiss people use a VPN for torrenting to keep their online activities private.
Follow these steps to watch BBC iPlayer in Switzerland:
- Subscribe to a VPN with servers in the UK (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Download and install the VPN on your device
- Log in using your email and password
- Connect to a UK server from the server list
- Go to bbc.co.uk/iplayer and create an account (for details see our blog: how to sign up for BBC iPlayer abroad)
- Now you can enjoy British shows on BBC iPlayer for free in Switzerland.
Following VPNs have multiple servers in Switzerland: ExpressVPN, Surfshark, NordVPN, CyberGhost and Private Internet Access.
Best Swiss VPN: Final Thoughts
These are some of the best VPN for Switzerland. ExpressVPN is the #1 recommended VPN for Switzerland for its affordability and efficient privacy-boosting features coupled with superior unblocking ability. Owing to its powerful features.
It is unfortunate that privacy issues are still present in the country, though the silver lining is that there are still VPN tools to count on.