Kazakhstan has not-so-good internet penetration (55%), but what really matters the online restrictions that are enforced by the Kazakhstan government.
Digital Activism isn’t considered the best platform to protest in the country and is strictly discouraged.
Last year, the court banned an online movement carried out by Democratic Choice of Kazakhstan (DVK) against the government and their actions were criminalized.
Hence, anyone who opposes the government online will be termed criminals of the state. To prevent all that from happening, you need the best VPN for Kazakhstan to keep you secure online.
The government tracks your online activity with your original IP address. A VPN will assign you another IP address from another country. Thus, keeping you anonymous.
Here I have recommended the best VPN for Kazakhstan that will give you complete online freedom to share your political viewpoint. ExpressVPN tops our list.
Lets’ briefly discuss these VPNs…
- ExpressVPN – Fast speed and strong security to use in Kazakhstan
- Surfshark – Fastest service with unlimited device connections
- NordVPN – Strong encryption with a large server network
- CyberGhost – User-friendly app with 6,600+ servers (24 servers in Astana, Kazakhstan)
- PIA – Excellent for streaming and boosting privacy in Kazakhstan with 20,000+ servers in the world.
- Hotspot Shield – A reliable VPN for Kazakhstan for streaming and bypassing geo blocks.
- Zenmate – A great VPN for streaming and browsing with strong security features.
Best VPN Service for Kazakhstan
After intense testing, I can surely say that the below-mentioned VPN services are the best to use in Kazakhstan or in fact anywhere in the world!
ExpressVPN is the best choice when it comes to streaming in HD because it is the fastest one in the market. It offers 3,000+ servers in 94 countries. It has 1 server in, Kazakhstan with an OpenVPN protocol that is best for security and keeping your online identity private.
Moreover, its 3,000 fast servers widely spread across so many countries making it one of the fastest VPN for streaming movies.
What impresses me is its AES-256-bit encryption. No computer can decrypt this encryption, which means all your internet traffic remains hidden.
Its price is a little on the expensive side with $6.67/mo with 30-days money-back guarantee. But the price is truly worth it that is why it makes it the best VPN for Kazakhstan.
With a single ExpressVPN account, you can connect to 5 devices simultaneously. See this ExpressVPN review for more information.
- Offers more than 3,000 servers located in over 94 countries
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney + and more
- Excellent customer support available over live chat 24/7
- Only VPN with a Safari browser extension
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly more expensive than other VPNs
By offering 3,200+ servers with a presence in over 65 countries, you can access Kazakhstan’s website from anywhere even in countries where there are the toughest internet restrictions. Surfshark has 1 server in Kazakhstan that is fast enough to stream videos without buffering issues.
Another feature that makes Surfshark a great service is its unlimited device connections that is why it is one of the best VPN for multiple devices. With a single account, your entire family and friends can use this service.
It offers good and is without a doubt a good VPN to use in Kazakhstan. For more information, please have a look at our Surfshark review.
- More than 3,200+ servers in over 65 countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Efficient 24/7 customer support
- Built-in adblocker, anti-malware, and double VPN feature
- Unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video
- Fast servers with stable connectivity
- Limited P2P servers for torrenting
NordVPN has a presence in 59 countries with 5,500+ servers. It has the largest server network no doubt, meaning that it will have better chances to access restricted websites in Kazakhstan.
Although it doesn’t have servers particularly in Kazakhstan, it manages to offer servers from nearby countries such as Ukraine and Slovakia. These servers will help you access the majority of content (but not all of it) in your country.
It isn’t expensive at all. Its price stands at $3.30/mo with 30-days refund policy of NordVPN. With a single NordVPN account, you can use it on 6 devices simultaneously. Even you can test this service on iOS or Android for 7 days as a Free NordVPN trial.
Its double VPN encryption is the best feature I have come across. You are connected to two servers before you get access to a website.
The speed is the only factor that is on the downside because of extreme encryption. Please find our review of NordVPN to know more about this VPN service.
- More than 5,500+ servers in over 59 countries
- Supports advanced VPN protocols such as OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and IKEv2
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Easy compatibility with Smart TVs and other devices
- Unblocks Sky TV, HBO, Disney+ and more
- Enabling the double VPN feature can affect server speeds
- Windows app is sluggish
If you’re a new VPN user, then I would recommend using CyberGhost. Why? because it has a large server network i.e. 6,600+ servers in 89 countries. CyberGhost has 24 servers in Astana, Kazakhstan that is virtually located. This way, you can stream channels that are located in this country by just connecting to its server.
It gives you the highest speed possible, has a kill switch feature, and comes with DNS and IP leak protection. The price is super affordable at $1.99/mo with an incredible 45-days money-back guarantee.
Having 256-bit encryption makes it the best Kazakhstan VPN that will prevent your data from being hacked.
It is available for all major platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Routers. Read our CyberGhost review for more information.
- Provides 6,600+ servers in over 89 countries
- Uses AES-256 encryption
- Allows 7 simultaneous connections
- Live chat feature available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China
- Occasionally slow server speeds
5. PIA VPN
PIA offers 35,000+ servers in the world, and 11 servers in Kazakhstan. It has a vast network of servers in 77+ countries, making it a great choice for bypassing geo-restrictions of foreign websites.
In fact, PIA’s fast speed and excellent compatibility with streaming services is the reason why it is a popular choice among streaming enthusiasts. The low cost of $2.08/mo only adds to this VPN’s appeal.
Users in Kazakhstan can easily get past government-imposed censorship of online content by using PIA’s offshore servers. The provider also offers useful features for strengthening online privacy such as an automatic kill switch, DNS security, and IPv6 leak protection.
You can use a single PIA account to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. With a 30-day money-back guarantee to boot, PIA is a highly capable VPN for dealing with both censorship and privacy issues in Kazakhstan in a single stroke. For more information, check out this detailed PIA VPN review.
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- 35,000+ servers in 77+ countries
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Based in the U.S
- Can only unblock some Netflix libraries (US, UK, Canada)
Hotspot Shield is another great VPN service in the industry by offering over 1800+ servers in 80+ countries including Kazakhstan. These servers will help you restore online freedom in the country and also help you access local TV channels from abroad.
It is a great low priced VPN option with a price of $2.99/ month with a 45 – day money-back guarantee. Its speed is good, it is the most secure VPN (256-bit encryption), and offers 5 multi-logins against 1 subscription.
Not just that, Hotspot Shield will help you regain internet freedom by unblocking websites and keeping your original IP address anonymous. It also offers strong encryption and DNS/ IP leak protection to prevent authorities from monitoring your traffic.
It will assign you another IP address that will be difficult for the Kazakhstan government to track your activity. Have a look at the Hotspot Shield review for more information.
- 1,800+ servers in 80+ countries
- 5 simultaneous connection
- Offer 45-day money-back guarantee
- Supports torrenting
- Also works in China
- Based in the U.S
- Has had privacy issues in the past
Zenmate has over 3400 servers in 73 locations, including Kazakhstan. Unlike other VPN providers on this list, Zenmate offers around 50+ servers in Kazakhstan, and thanks to its unblocking capabilities, you can stream Kazakh TV abroad with its servers. It is also a great VPN for Kazakhstan citizens who want to access international content like Netflix, Showtime and more.
Apart from unblocking, this VPN also features powerful security features, including forward secrecy, 256-bit encryption, kill switch and DNS leak protection. It is however based in Germany and keeps some user logs. This information is not identifiable, but still it logs some user data. For more information, you check out our detailed Zenmate review.
Zenmate is compatible with a wide range of devices like Windows, Android, iOS, MacOS and more. Additionally, you can also manually configure it on routers and Linux systems.
- 50+ servers in Kazakhstan
- unlimited simultaneous connection
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee
- Strong security features
- Keeps some user logs
- Doesn’t work in China
Free VPNs that work in Kazakhstan
Free VPNs could be a pain in your head if they keep track of your logs and store browsing history. Most VPNs do that and this is the reason why many people avoid using them. As if that wasn’t enough, free VPNs also tend to offer limited bandwidth and servers.
Most free VPNs offer 2-5 server location for its users, and these are also congested with users thus offering extremely slow speeds, which makes the VPN useless. And then there are privacy concerns relating to free VPNs. Also, chances are you will not find a free VPN with servers in Kazakhstan which makes it useless, if you are traveling abroad.
The good thing is, not all VPNs track your internet activity. Have a look at the ones that don’t track:
Why do you need a VPN in Kazakhstan?
Anti-government comments or any criticism against the president is not at all tolerated and is punishable by law. The parliament of Kazakhstan has granted complete immunity to the president and his entire family.
Now that it is clear that, Kazakhstan is no paradise for internet users and especially freedom activists. The Kazakh government is know to censor a huge amount of online content, and prosecuting people under its defamation laws. The government has also blocked news websites and social media apps during protests that not only makes it difficult for citizens to gauge the situation, but also prevents people from reporting
Therefore, its best to use a VPN in Kazakhstan to stay secure online especially of you are a journalist or activist.
Note: VPNRanks does not condone using a VPN to carry out illegal activities in your country. We strongly recommend reading your country’s relevant legislation to stay safe.
How we tested the best VPNs for Kazakhstan
Here is a list of things to consider while selecting the best VPN to use in Kazakhstan:
- Large server network: We made sure to include VPNs with a large server network with multiple worldwide options so you can connect to any region you want to.
- Protocols & Encryption Keys– look for AES256- bit or OpenVPN. The VPNs mentioned above come with 256-bit AES encryption along with kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- No-logs policy – The VPNs mentioned above follow a strict no logs policy and don’t store your personal information.
- Fast servers: Fast speed servers so you can enjoy smooth streaming without slowing down your internet connection.
- Compatibility– The best VPN for Kazakhstan offers user-friendly apps for various platforms so you can use it on multiple devices at the same time.
- Customer support– Try to find one with 24/7/365 support. The VPNs mentioned above offer efficient customer support.
- Money-back guarantee: VPNs mentioned above offer 30 days money back guarantee so you can test the service yourself and cancel to get a refund.
How to watch Kazakhstan Local Channels Online?
You can watch Kazakhstan Local TV channels abroad using a VPN with servers in Kazakhstan like ExpressVPN. Follow these steps to get Kazakh IP address and watch local entertainment and channels abroad:
With the steps mentioned above, you can live stream most popular Kazakh networks abroad including:
- Kazakh TV
- Astana TV
- Channel 31
- Khabar 24
- Gakku TV
Best VPN for Kazakhstan – FAQs
Yes, it is perfectly legal to use a VPN in Kazakhstan. While the government has been known to monitor and censor internet access, citizens can use a VPN to secure their online privacy and access restricted content in Kazakhstan.
Currently, WhatsApp is available in Kazakhstan. However, in the past the government did block WhatsApp and other social media services. In 2019, WhatsApp was temporarily blocked in the country.
Some of the VPNs that have servers in Kazakhstan are ExpressVPN, Surfshark and CyberGhost.
Kazakhstan’s government has carried a crackdown against anyone who gets involved in the anti-government discussion on social media websites.
For anyone who wants to secure their online presence on social media websites without getting their original IP address being tracked, you require the best VPN for Kazakhstan, the ones I have recommended above.
Once you do that, be free to communicate to anyone online about anything.
VPNs for Other Countries
For your convenience, we have created blogs on VPN services that work best in numerous countries. The list includes: