Hulu has reached the landmark of 25 million US subscribers this year, which they announced in a press release released January 2019.
The number of unique Hulu viewers is probably even higher because a lot of people share the same account to watch Hulu.
So, if you’re reading this blog, chances are good that you’ve been enjoying shows and movies on Hulu for some time.
But perhaps you are going on a trip abroad or live outside the US. Considering the fact that Hulu is only available within the US and Japan, you won’t be able to access it from outside the US, even if you’re a paid subscriber.
What you need is a Hulu VPN to change your virtual location on the web to access Hulu from outside the US.
In this blog, I’ll describe 5 VPNs that will allow you to stream Hulu content from anywhere in the world and fix a few common errors.
The solution to Hulu Unavailability outside the US
If you’re planning on watching Hulu, the first question you must ask yourself is, where is Hulu available?
Well, Hulu is currently only available in the US and Japan. This puts Hulu out of reach for anyone that happens to outside these countries.
If you try to access Hulu from an IP address based outside of these countries, you won’t be able to sign up and use the service.
For instance, if you don’t have a VPN and want to access Hulu in Europe, you’re pretty much out of luck.
Hulu and VPN go hand in hand. By masking your default IP address, VPNs allow you to access geo-restricted streaming services like Hulu.
But there are literally hundreds of choices that a prospective VPN user has to choose from.
So, how can you take your pick out of this vast pool of options?
Choosing the best VPN for Hulu
There is no shortage of VPN providers out there, but choosing the right service for your needs requires you to keep some criteria in mind.
You should never overlook the following factors when picking a VPN for Hulu outside the US:
- Strong server network in the US
- IP/DNS leak protection
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Number of simultaneous connections
- Connection speed
- Quality of customer support
5 Best VPNs for Hulu in 2019
The following 5 VPN providers all meet the criteria which I defined above:
|VPN Providers||Price ($)||Special Deals||More Info|
Best Affordable VPN
$2.95 Per Month
Exclusive Discount 1 year Plan
Best Budget Service
$1.99 Per Month
2 Years Deal
Best for Geo-Unblocking
$2.99 Per Month
3 Years Plan
Best for Streaming
$8.32 Per Month
No Exclusive Offer
Best for Private Browsing
$2.75 Per Month
3 Years Deal
Based in Hong Kong, Pure VPN started its operations back in 2007 and since then has been growing and now has almost 3 million active users.
The company has a respectable standing in the VPN industry and provides ironclad security.
Hulu works seamlessly on PureVPN the reason why it is rated number 1 is that it has a dedicated dashboard which already has popular channels enlisted including Hulu.
All you have to do is open the PureVPN app and it will already have Hulu on the list just click and connect.
When it comes to security and privacy, it does not lag behind industry mammoths (like NordVPN and ExpressVPN) and protects users from IP leaks.
The 24/7 customer support is always there to answer your queries and help you out if you encounter any technical problems.
Thus, PureVPN is an easy choice for users who want to unblock VPN from anywhere in the world.
- Glitch-free Hulu experience
- Well spread network of servers across the globe.
- Kill switch
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Occasional connectivity issues
New in the game but playing it like a pro!
Surfshark is one of the newest companies in the VPN Industry offering such a swift experience that it has gained a lot of attention in the industry of virtual private networks.
It also supports high speeds, AES-256 encryption, and extremely responsive customer support.
The service also has an incredibly high-discount offer which is currently available at $1.99/mo for 24-months.
On the privacy and security front, Surfshark is easily one of the best there is and ensures no logging of user data or IP leaks.
As such, with all these features, it would be a surprise if Surfshark weren’t included in this list of best VPN for Hulu.
- Highly Reliable performance
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Live chat customer support
- Impressive connection speed
- Small but expanding network
3. NordVPN Hulu
NordVPN has been in the market since 2012 only but has quickly gained a strong position in the market.
It is also one of the highest rated VPN services compared to the market average, however, the quality it offers is impeccable.
In terms of server size, no other VPN even comes close to NordVPN.
In the US alone, the VPN has 1,768 servers with the total number of servers exceeding 5,000!
On top of this, NordVPN uses state-of-the-art encryption to protect users from issues such as IP leaks to prevent Hulu’s servers from detecting your real location and continue HD streams as long as you want.
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Almost 5,000 diversely spread servers
- Specialized streaming servers
- Excellent customer support
- Does not accept PayPal
4. Express VPN Hulu
Based in the British Virgin Islands, the company enjoys an easy hand on legislation.
The VPN is extremely effective for bypassing geo-restrictions on not only Hulu but other streaming services as well like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
The 3,000+ server network consistently delivers fast speeds, which is important if you want to stream videos on Hulu at HD quality.
In addition, ExpressVPN Hulu is one of the few VPN services with a strict no-logs policy and it is completely free of problems such as IP leaks.
Simply put, you can’t go wrong with ExpressVPN for your streaming needs.
- Geographically well spread servers
- Excellent connectivity
- User-friendly interface
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Expensive compared to rivals
CyberGhost has been in the market long enough to not need an introduction.
It has more than 3,000 server locations, in more than 60 countries with a three-year plan at $2.75/mo, which make it hard to resist.
CyberGhost offers dedicated servers for streaming which allow users to experience lag-free HD quality videos.
The Romanian jurisdiction is another point in favor of this VPN because the country does not have any on-going domestic surveillance programs nor does it have mandatory data retention laws.
This makes CyberGhost a valuable VPN for privacy as well as unrestricted Hulu streaming.
In fact, in the cheaper price bracket, CyberGhost is one of the best VPN for Hulu.
- 3,000+ servers
- Dedicated streaming servers
- Good customer service
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Average speeds
Watch Hulu Outside US in Simple Steps
Now that you know which VPNs can get Hulu unblocked for users outside the US, follow the steps below to start watching streams instantly:
- Download and install a VPN from the list above
- Launch VPN and connect to a US server
- Visit Hulu official website or download the app from iPhone/ Google Play/Windows app store
- Pick your favorite show/movie, sit back, and enjoy
Can You Use Hulu For Free?
There are a lot of concerns when choosing a VPN for Hulu. A free VPN might not work consistently as it only offers limited number of servers (which rarely includes the US), data caps, and delivers poor speeds.
Therefore, before downloading the service you need to find out if the VPN works on Hulu or not.
It is better to use a premium VPN because you can’t make do with data caps and poor speeds for tasks like Hulu streaming.
Nonetheless, if you can tolerate these issues, then you should certainly go ahead with a free VPN service to watch Hulu outside US.
Purchasing Hulu Subscription from Outside the US
If you already have a Hulu subscription and are traveling away from the US for a while, you just need to have a VPN with servers in the US to be able to access Hulu on your trip abroad.
But what if you’re not an American and still have this burning itch to enjoy Hulu exclusive content?
In this case, you will face an extra hurdle apart from the geo-restriction that prevents access to Hulu, because you also need to pay for the subscription using a payment service that is accepted in the US.
There are two ways that can get around this: by asking a friend or family living the US and having a US-based credit to pay for you, or purchasing a gift card.
Gift Cards for Hulu
- Visit mygiftcardsupply.com where you don’t need a US credit card or PayPal to purchase a gift card that Hulu accepts and pay for the subscription this way. However, you will have to pay a little more than the actual price of a Hulu subscription.
- Alternatively, search for gift cards in sites like Target and Newegg. You can often find gift cards available at the same subscription rate of a regular Hulu subscription and purchase the card via your local credit card/PayPal
Does Hulu block VPN services?
Although you shouldn’t experience any errors when using a reliable VPN with strong security mechanisms (see list above for such VPNs), there’s still a slight chance that you might face some problems.
The most common issue that VPN Hulu users face is the dreaded Hulu proxy error. With powerful blockers, Hulu might be able to detect that you’re using a VPN. Hulu doesn’t like it if people use VPNs to access their service and if it suspects you are currently using one, it will display an error message something like this:
This usually happens if your VPN is leaking IPv6 address.
The easy fix to this error is to simply disable IPv6 on your computers.
Fixing Hulu “anonymous proxy” error
Here’s how to do that on Windows 10 and Mac OSX:
Disabling IPv6 on a Windows PC:
- Open the Run prompt -> type ncpa.cpl and press Enter -> right click the connection you are using and press Properties -> Select Networking tab -> Uncheck the box next to “Internet Protocol Version 6 or TCP/IPv6 -> Click Ok.
Disabling IPv6 on a Mac
- On the Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network -> Network Preferences -> AirPort -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6 pop-up menu -> Click “Off” -> Press Ok and Apply Changes
How to use Hulu on Different Devices
Can you watch Hulu on multiple platforms? YES! There are many Hulu apps available for multiple devices that allow you to watch Hulu abroad.
Watch Hulu on iOS
Since Hulu is an online content streaming service that is limited to the US, you will not be able to visit the Hulu app for iOS on Apple Store if you live outside the US.
A Hulu VPN changes your original IP address with a US IP, giving you unlimited access to geo-blocked content anywhere in the world.
So once you connect to a US server, you can watch all your favorite Hulu content without any trouble. Here’s what you need to do:
- Subscribe to a VPN
- Connect to Fastest US Server
- Download and Install the Hulu app for iOS
- Stream Hulu on iOS trouble free
Watch Hulu on Android
If you don’t live in the US, the Hulu app will not even show on your Play Store.
However, if you can unblock Hulu with a VPN, you can change that and easily watch Hulu on Android.
- Turn off location service of Android.
- Force-stop Play Store.
- Clear cache and data of Play Store.
- Launch the Play Store and search “Hulu”.
- Select the Hulu app from the search results and install it on your Android phone.
Since you’re already connected to a US server you can now easily download Hulu.
How can I watch Hulu on Mac?
With a Hulu VPN, you can stream Hulu on Mac and enjoy all your favorite TV shows and movies at the comfort of your home and you’ll be able to stream Hulu on Mac without any trouble:
- Connect to US Fastest Server
- Subscribe to Hulu streaming service
- Stream Hulu easily on Mac and enjoy your favorite Hulu content
Watch Hulu on Kodi
If you have a Kodi TV box then with a bit of troubleshooting, you can stream Hulu on Kodi by a VPN for Kodi. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Kodi.
- Now go to ‘Systems’-> ‘File Manager’.
- Press the ‘Add Source’.
- Choose ‘None’.
- Type http://repo.mrblamo.xyz/and click ‘Done’.
- Under ‘Enter a name for this media source’, type in ‘Blamo’. Click ‘Done’.
- Select ‘OK’and go to your Kodi’s home screen.
- Go to‘Systems’ -> ‘Settings’ -> ‘Addons’.
- Choose ‘Install from zip file’.
- Click ‘Blamo’-> ‘repository.blamo-x.x.x.zip’
- Wait for the installation to complete, and then, go back to the home screen.
- Click ‘Systems’ -> ‘Add-ons’
- Select‘Install from repository’-> ‘Blamo Repo’ -> ‘Video Addons’.
- Select Neptune Rising-> ‘Install’.
- Go back to the home screen. Click ‘Videos’ -> ‘Addons’.
- Launch Neptune Rising -> TV Shows-> Networks ->
Watch Hulu on Roku
With Hulu, you get prompt (and limitless) access to the most popular and trending TV shows out there.
So, if you happen to have a Roku device and are trying to find a way to stream Hulu on Roku, here’s what you need to do:
- Configure VPN on a router connected to Roku device (Remember to select US Fastest Server)
- Download and install the Hulu app for Roku
- Watch Hulu easily on Roku
Watch Hulu on Apple TV
You can also watch Hulu on Apple TV and get all your favorite Hulu content by following these simple steps:
- Download the Hulu app for Apple TV
- Configure your VPN on the router connected to Apple TV (Remember to select US Fastest Server.
- Launch a Hulu app for Apple TV and stream it.
Watch Hulu on Fire TV
Hulu is even available on Fire TV so that you can enjoy all your favorite Hulu content easily.
Here’s how you can stream Hulu on FireTV outside the US:
- Download the Hulu app for Amazon FireTV
- Configure your VPN on a router connected to Fire TV (Remember to select US Fastest Server.
- Launch the Hulu app for Fire TV and stream it on Amazon Fire TV.
Watch Hulu on Windows
Hulu now has a dedicated app for Windows. So if you’re a big movie fan and love nothing more than movies, we have got the best solution for you.
Once you have successfully downloaded and installed the Hulu app and subscribed to Hulu streaming service, simply follow these steps:
- Connect to US Fastest Server
- Download and Install the Hulu app for Windows
- Stream Hulu on Windows without any worry
Watch Hulu on PS4
Hulu has a dedicated app for PS4 that you can download to stream your favorite Hulu content.
To do that, simply follow these steps:
- Configure your VPN on the router connected to PS4.
- Now go to PlayStation Store to download and install Hulu for PS4.
Once Hulu app is successfully installed on your PS4, simply launch the app and stream your favorite movies and TV shows without any hassle.
Watch Hulu on Xbox
If you are a console gamer, you can even stream Hulu on Xbox One.
Hulu now has a dedicated app for Xbox One that you can download and install to live stream all your favorite Hulu content.
Here’s what you need to do to stream Hulu on Xbox One:
- Download and install the Hulu app for Xbox One
- Configure your VPN on a router connected to Xbox One.
- Launch the Hulu app on Xbox One
Simply by configuring your router, you can watch all your favorite Hulu content right on your Xbox One.
VPNs that don’t work with HULU
The following VPNs do not work with Hulu as of the time of writing:
What channels are available on Hulu?
Hulu offers content from different channels. Some of these include:
- USA Network
Hulu VPN Reddit
Although the VPNs I listed above perfectly work with Hulu, I still took to Reddit to see if I could find few other VPNs to add to my list.
Scrolling through Reddit and majority of Reddit users suggested using ExpressVPN, followed by Getflix and Private Internet Access (PIA).
Here is some frequently asked question about Hulu:
Since Hulu is a U.S only streaming service, it is geo-blocked in Germany. To watch Hulu in Germany, you will need a VPN service. All you have to do is select a VPN service (mentioned in the table above), connect to a VPN server connected in the USA, and access Hulu.
You can watch Hulu VPN in Japan (www.happyon.jp). In fact, Japan is the only country other than the US where Hulu is officially accessible and provides a lot of exclusive content for its Japanese audiences.
Yes, Hulu and other such streaming services do work in Costa Rica, with a proper VPN. By that I mean you get what you pay for.
If you expect a free VPN to unblock Hulu, you’d be quite disappointed. However, with a proper VPN that can route your traffic through the U.S server, you can easily enjoy all your favorite Hulu shows.
For instance I’ve used ExpressVPN for years and never had any issues unblocking Hulu and other VOD services.
Well just like Netflix, Hulu can also detect if you’re using a VPN to unblock their service. By analyzing your true IP address, Hulu’s powerful blockers can identify if you’re accessing their service from out the U.S.
No! Since Hulu is a paid subscription service similar to Netflix, you need to buy a subscription plan to view any of their content.
Yes, slightly. Since all VPNs come with overhead encryption, you are going to experience slightly slower speeds. Long story short, if you’re going to stream Hulu over a VPN, you are going to encounter slightly slower speeds.
No, not without a reliable VPN. According to Hulu’s official website, the service is US restricted and not internationally available.
Officially, you can’t. However, if you connect to a VPN and change your IP to the USA when subscribing as described above, you can unblock Hulu easily in the UK.
As we put it earlier in our guide, Hulu is easily accessible outside the United States with the help of a VPN. With a VPN by your side, you can evade geographic restrictions and unblock the streaming service from anywhere.
Hulu works only in the United States. Due to content license agreements, viewers cannot access its content from any other location. However, a VPN changes all that. You can unlock Hulu through a VPN service and access its content from any country.
Hulu, in my opinion, follows the Jerry Maguire principle: fewer clients, happier clients.
Nonetheless, you can’t stop people from looking for ways to access Hulu, irrespective of restrictions of any kind.
The right Hulu VPN with multiple servers in the US will enable you to bypass geo-restrictions, giving you access to the streaming service from anywhere in the world.
And that is all a streaming enthusiast could ever ask for.