Surfshark is one of the most powerful and secure VPNs for torrenting in Canada, as per our testing. Its P2P-supported server network and fast speeds make Surfshark torrenting a great combination. Moreover, its Camouflage Mode, kill switch, and privacy-oriented no-logging policy keeps your P2P activity anonymous from your ISP. But, how can you torrent with Surfshark? Let’s find out in the Surfshark torrent in Canada guide below!
Torrenting is by far the most feasible and famous means of file sharing online. However, there are several risks associated with torrenting, including fines, the disclosure of your IP address, and speed throttling by your ISP. Nevertheless, a premium VPN like Surfshark can assist with that in Canada.
But the real question is: Is Surfshark good for torrenting in Canada? We discovered that Surfshark is a secure and safe option for torrenting in Canada. It allows torrenting on its entire server network and works great with a variety of torrent clients, including BitTorrent, qBittorrent, and uTorrent.
However, please note that Surfshark is not the best VPN for torrenting though. It doesn’t allow port forwarding, and its speeds can be improved. We’ll discuss all elements of P2P activity with Surfshark in this article, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of P2P activity with this VPN.
Surfshark Torrenting Speed Tests in Canada
For user convenience, we conducted a few Surfshark speed tests while torrenting on a 3GB file in Canada. Please note that both torrents clients used dissimilar units for tracking speeds. So, we had to manually convert them into Mbps – the most commonly used method to measure bandwidth in Canada.
qBittorrent in Canada
|Surfshark Servers||Max Download Speed||Average Download Speed||Download Duration|
|Without VPN||89.21 Mbps (10.63MiB/s)||76.87 Mbps||1m 24s|
|US – Dallas||85.82 Mbps (10.23MiB/s)||74.12 Mbps||2m 11s|
|Canada – Montreal||80.65 MBps (9.61MiB/s)||72.67 Mbps||2m 34|
uTorrent in Canada
|Surfshark Servers||Max Download Speed||Average Download Speed||Download Duration|
|Without VPN||83.25 Mbps (10.40MB/s)||69.82 Mbps||2m 13s|
|US – Dallas||74.19 Mbps (9.27MB/s)||60.34 Mbps||10m 47s|
|Canada – Montreal||71.47 Mbps (8.93MB/s)||65.27 Mbps||12m 36s|
As you can see in the tables above. the speeds while using qBittorrent are higher than uTorrent in Canada. But, that’s completely the client’s fault. The free version of uTorrent’s interface lagged a lot and despite Surfshark’s slow torrent download speed, the page kept displaying advertisements in 4K. This made us think that the bandwidth was mostly being used to download ads, and not torrenting in Canada.
Why is Surfshark Good for Torrenting in Canada?
Surfshark is a secure VPN service for torrenting in Canada. All its servers are P2P-friendly, with AES 256-bit encryption and reasonable torrent speeds.
While you can get a detailed workaround in our Surfshark review, here are a few reasons why Surfshark torrent in Canada is a great combo in Canada:
- Hide your IP address: Your IP address can be viewed or accessed by anyone checking out the seeders’ list while torrenting. The exposed IP can put you at risk as you can easily be targeted for DDoS attacks. Also, it can reveal your location from potentially unwanted and unexpected visits.
- Hide torrent activities from your ISP: If your concern is your Internet Service Provider snooping and monitoring your torrent downloads in Canada, then you immediately need to subscribe to Surfshark. The VPN will encrypt your data and pass it through a VPN server. This way, your ISP won’t be able to see which websites you’re visiting and what are you downloading in Canada.
- Bypass bandwidth throttling: When Internet Service Providers detect torrenting activities in your online traffic, they throttle your connection to slow down your download speed in Canada. Since Surfshark hides your torrenting activities, your ISP wouldn’t be able to throttle your download speed.
- Unblock restricted torrent sites: Another reason to use the Surfshark torrent in Canada combination together is to access restricted torrent clients easily in Canada. Some countries block torrent sites because they play a significant part in the distribution of copyrighted content. But, using Surfshark will let you circumvent these restrictions and torrent anonymously.
- Extensive torrent-friendly server network: Surfshark’s entire server network, consisting 3200+ servers in 95 countries and 3 server locations in Canada, supports P2P connections. While all Surfshark torrent in Canada servers offer fast speeds, we highly recommend using the ones near your location for a more optimized connection.
- Robust zero-logging policy: Surfshark equips a strict no-logging policy in place. The provider does not store any personal information of the user in Canada, allowing safe browsing and torrent downloading. However, you will find it collecting the number of unsuccessful connection tries, aggregated execution data, and what’s your VPN usage.
- Extensive range of security features: The VPN offers a wide range of security features that are useful while torrenting in Canada. Surfshark’s kill switch blocks your internet if the VPN connection drops, the Camouflage Mode makes VPN traffic look like regular HTTPS traffic, and MultiHop provides multi-encryption by passing your traffic through more than two servers. Please note that there are no specific Surfshark torrent in Canada settings. You can simply enable these features from the Settings tab in the app.
- Whitelister: Surfshark’s Whitelister is a pretty useful feature for torrenting in Canada. Using this feature, you can route just your torrent client through the VPN server and encrypt it. This way, you’ll be absolutely secure while torrenting.
- Pricing: In terms of pricing, Surfshark is one of the most affordable VPNs out there, costing CA$3.41/mo (US$ 2.49/mo) (Save 81% on 2 Years Plan). Moreover, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re unsatisfied with the Surfshark torrent in Canada setup and service for any reason, you can cancel Surfshark and request a refund within 30 days. For mobile devices, you can even get a Surfshark free trial.
In case you face any issue while torrenting with this VPN, then you can quickly refer to our Surfshark not working guide and get it back to work within a few minutes!
Surfshark’s Best Server for Torrenting in Canada?
Surfshark’s best server for torrenting completely depends on the country you reside in. That’s because the physical distance between where you’re located and your VPN server determines your connection speeds. Similarly, the number of users connected a single server may also slow down your activity. The server can only process so much data at once, after all.
However, if you really want a specific option, then you can use Surfshark’s 24/7 live chat support to ask for the best Surfshark torrent servers based on your country for Canada, torrent client, and Internet Service Provider.
How to choose a good Surfshark server for P2P in Canada?
You can always click on the Quick Connect button to choose a fast server for downloading torrents in Canada. You can also click on ‘Nearest Country’ located above the servers list to get a server that’s close to Canada for fast speeds.
When you click on this feature, the VPN will choose one of the best Surfshark P2P locations closest to Canada
Drawbacks of Using Surfshark for Torrenting in Canada
As mentioned a couple of times above, Surfshark torrent in Canada works great together. But, there are a few issues you need to address:
1. Surfshark doesn’t allow seeding in Canada
Surfshark doesn’t allow seeding on its server network in Canada. While we actually had 0 upload speeds while torrenting, we still confirmed it through their customer support representatives. While there were some exceptions while using uTorrent, the upload speeds were pretty low (2-3 KB/s).
2. Surfshark doesn’t offer port forwarding support in Canada
Surfshark does not support port forwarding because of obvious security risks in Canada. This practically means that it’s not as effective or easy to seed torrent files as various best VPNs. In fact, a few anecdotal reports suggest that Surfshark doesn’t support seeding at all.
Instead of relying on these reports, we addressed the issue on Surfshark’s live chat support and got the following answer in Canada:
Basically, they’re apprehensive that if they open up random ports, then they might create security vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit in Canada. Various torrenters prefer port forwarding as it enables them to connect to more peers.
What Do People Think About Torrenting with Surfshark in Canada?
When in doubt, visit Reddit and see how people address a certain issue. In our case, we wanted to see what Reddit says about Surfshark torrent in Canada together.
Despite the unavailability of port forwarding, Redditors really do love Surfshark. Let’s look at a few answers below in Canada:
How Can you Compare Surfshark to Other P2P-Friendly VPNs in Canada?
Surfshark is a good VPN for torrenting casually in Canada. With fast speeds, it encrypts your connection and secures your identity. However, there are better VPNs available for torrenting. VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN offer faster speeds while torrenting and have powerful P2P features.
We tested the average bitrate of Surfshark and compared it to 10 other torrent-friendly VPNs in Canada. Surfshark offered an average bitrate of 8.6MiB/s, compared to ExpressVPN’s 9.2MiB/s and NordVPN’s 8.4MiB/s.
All these VPN alternatives also equip features like a kill switch, split tunneling, and robust encryption in Canada. However, for more details, the following table will help you compare Surfshark with its competitors:
|VPN||Number of P2P Servers||Average Bitrate||Port Forwarding||Logging Policy|
|NordVPN||Hundreds of dedicated P2P servers||8.7MiB/s||No||No logs|
|CyberGhost||Multiple torrent-optimized servers||7.5MiB/s||No||No logs|
As per this comparison. it doesn’t look like Surfshark is doing a bad job at all in Canada. In fact, Surfshark torrent in Canada seems like a good combination. However, let’s look at the pros and cons to get a closer look at the VPN service:
- Torrent support on the entire server network
- No-logging policy
- Robust protocols and encryption
- No IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks
- Massive server network of 3200+ servers
- Offers a Camouflage Mode, MultiHop, Whitelister, and more
- No port forwarding support
- Surfshark offers slower torrent speeds than a few P2P VPNs
What Protocol Will Be Most Privacy Focused For Torrenting Through Surfshark in Canada?
The OpenVPN protocol is a better option than WireGuard while using Surfshark in Canada. Even though WireGuard is mostly faster and more secure than OpenVPN, we highly recommend you use OpenVPN with Surfshark for comparatively faster speeds while downloading torrents.
OpenVPN is a widely used protocol, great for security and speeds alike in Canada. It offers two ports: UDP and TCP. However, UDP is the better port for torrenting with Surfshark as it offers a faster connection. Whereas, TCP is more on the reliable end.
FAQs – Surfshark Torrent in Canada
Does Surfshark save torrent logs in Canada?
Surfshark does not monitor or save any torrent logs or user data since they have a strict no-logging policy in Canada. In short, whichever torrent client you use, Surfshark won’t collect user data for any reason.
Is Surfshark safe for torrenting in Canada?
Yes, Surfshark is quite safe for torrenting in Canada. Its AES 256-bit encryption ensures that your connections are absolutely secure and safe. And since it comes with a no-logging policy, we can assure you of guaranteed anonymity. It has all the features that can make it the best VPN for torrenting. And, that’s not all. Surfshark’s prices are also super-affordable.
Can you bind torrent clients to Surfshark?
Yes, you can bind torrent clients to Surfshark. But you don’t have to. That’s because Surfshark has a powerful kill switch. Moreover, you get a new IP address every time you connect to Surfshark’s server, so you’d also have to bind your torrent client every time.
Is VPN good for torrenting in Canada?
To bypass geo-restriction barricades and protect your privacy while torrenting, using a VPN is a sensible choice in Canada. With a VPN, your entire internet traffic is encrypted to ensure that no one knows what you’re doing, even while torrenting.
Is torrenting better with a VPN in Canada?
If you’re using a premium VPN service that can effectively secure your connection, then it’s indeed safe to torrent with a VPN in Canada. In fact, it’s way safer than torrenting without a VPN. We do not recommend torrenting copyrighted content, but as this is often a grey area, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Nonetheless, if you’re considering purchasing Surfshark for torrents, you shouldn’t be disappointed. The VPN is a great option for every torrent fan out there in Canada. But, if you’re looking for port forwarding, then you might have to switch to any other premium option.
We hope you liked our Surfshark torrent in Canada guide. In case of any questions, just jot them down in the comments and we’ll get back to you!