A cybersecurity professional once told me that it is not just the process of penetration testing that counts, but how well the penetration tester can communicate the problem to the customer, reporting the found vulnerabilities and the effect that it could have.
The report should clearly state the impact of the persisting problem. Along with knowing the penetration testing methodology are many other skills like communication, reporting, identification, etc. that make pentesting the best job role in the market.
In this article, I am not going to discuss how to become a penetration tester, but rather help you figure out what you need to make you a great penetration tester. Does your credential equip you with the skills to infiltrate systems with precision? Why is it necessary for security professionals?
Eight Things that a Pentesting Credential Should Have:
1. Robust Credential Exam
“The hotter the heat, the stronger the metal”
Penetration testing is not an easy day-to-day task, and neither should the exam be. Simply put, answering multiple choice questions won’t help you learn, nor will it ensure that you know how to tackle adverse situations.
It must throw challenges that test your perseverance, methodological knowledge, and penetration testing abilities in the most critical environment. A time-bound, hands-on exam based on real-life experiences will prove that you have the mettle to perform a successful penetration test.
2. Experience-Based Exam
The exam should test your skills in a real-time environment. It should be based on real-life experiences so that the student is tested on skills that are truly required by pentesting professionals.
By gaining exposure to the criticalities of how a penetration testing is performed in a given timeframe, the candidate is pushed to do their best, much like how a real pentest is conducted.
3. Exam Backed by Vigorous Training
When we talk about a robust exam, it only makes sense that it is backed by an equally vigorous training program that gives you hands-on experience.
The training program should coach you on the toughest methodologies with numerous practical sessions so that you can learn the most cohesive penetration testing methodologies and their application in a time-constraint environment.
4. Live Remote Proctored Exam
Credibility is the number one priority! Attending an exam and scoring high has no value if the foundation of the exam is questioned. Any exam, whether online or offline, should always be proctored, whether remotely or in-person, to ensure the authenticity of the candidate and the transparency of the exam.
5. Report Writing
Does your exam/credential empower you with the skill of effective report writing?
A true pentesting exam will ensure that the candidate submits a pentest report that addresses all stages of the pentest. Apart from the application of methodologies, the exam should also verify your report writing skills based on efficacy, relevance, and communication.
6. Structure of the Exam
Unless the exam is based on the toughest of scenarios that replicate those of a real-time enterprise, we cannot expect the exam to be robust in nature. The exam should be structured to produce and throw the most challenging of scenarios, dynamically with progressive levels.
7. Validity of the Credential
A cybersecurity credential comes with validity and after the expiry of the period, you must renew the credential. The validity period should not be more either should be limited to one year. A period of 2-3 years ensures the effectiveness of the credential.
8. Added Advantage in the Market
It is not just about attaining a credential, but also ensuring that the penetration testing exam should able to give you an added benefit of a recognized credential that gives you an upliftment from other penetration testers. The credential should certify you with the required skills that any employer would be interested to have in a great penetration tester.
Where to Find an All-Things-Included Penetration Testing Credentialing Program
EC-Council’s Licensed Penetration Tester (Master) has one purpose: to differentiate the experts from the novices! It is a gruelling 18-hour exam designed to push you to your limit!
- L|PT (Master) is not a program, it is a credential that makes you a great penetration tester. L|PT (Master) is 100% online and remotely proctored certification exam which challenges you with an exhausting 18-hour performance.
- The exam is designed by the industry practitioners and therefore, it is based on real-life experiences.
- L|PT (Master) is backed by the Advance Penetration Testing program which prepares you for the toughest of pentesting credentials.
- L|PT (Master) is the world’s first remotely proctored and online penetration testing exam.
- L|PT (Master) reflects real-life enterprise network with different operating systems firewalls network segments, web technologies, demilitarized zones, etc. It also tests the skills that belong to open-source penetration testing methodologies like NIST800-115, PTES, PCI DSS, OSSTMM and many others.
- L|PT (Master) verifies every skill of becoming a great penetration tester including the ability to deliver strong report writing skills.
- L|PT (Master) is based on EC-Council’s Advanced Penetration Testing Cyber Range (ECCAPT) which is ‘Real Steel’. The ECCAPT is dynamic to changes and upgrades with every level.
- Only a penetration tester with two years of experience or possess any equivalent certification of pentesting is qualified to appear for L|PT (Master)
- L|PT (Master) is valid for two years initially and therefore it has to be renewed.
Now, if I ask you, do you want to be a great penetration tester? Or if you have any queries regarding penetration testing certification, drop us a comment below and let us know.