Some countries geo-restrict their content and Japan is among them. While folks living in Japan will have no trouble accessing local websites, people living abroad will simply get blocked.
So, if you live abroad and want to access a local Japanese website from back home, you will need a Japanese IP address. With the help of a VPN, you can easily get Japanese IP from anywhere in the world.
In today’s guide, I will not only show you how to obtain an IP address from Japan but also share with you some of the best VPNs you can get to unblock Japanese content from abroad.
How to Get Japanese IP Using a VPN
VPN services are quickly becoming essential software for users frustrated by blocked online content and services. The ability of VPN services to allow users to surf the Internet through a different IP address is a useful feature.
Users seeking to gain access to Japan-only content and websites can use VPN tools to easily bypass geo-restrictions. However, it is important to choose the right VPN provider that offers all the features necessary to gain total access to the Internet. You can also read our article on VPNs that work best in Japan for more information.
|VPN Providers||Price ($)||Special Deals||More Info|
Overall Best VPN
$6.67 Per Month
12 Months + 3 Months Free
Fastest VPN Service
$2.49 Per Month
2 Year Plan
Best for Geo-Unblocking
$3.71 Per Month
2 Year Plan
$3.33 Per Month
Exclusive 2 Year Offer
Best for Private Browsing
$2.25 Per Month
3 Years + 3 Months Free
1. ExpressVPN Delivers the Excellent VPN Performance
ExpressVPN is the leading VPN provider that has a huge number of users across the world. It is popular for providing extremely fast servers that never suffer downtime. The stability of the connection is consistently ensured by the VPN provider. Additionally, it uses military-grade encryption that securely transfers your data through a tunnel.
ExpressVPN also provides valid guarantees of no-logging of user data. This is great news for users conscious of their online privacy. However, these features do not come for cheap, as ExpressVPN is one of the most expensive VPN services in the market. If the price is not an issue, then ExpressVPN is the best way to get a Japanese IP.
- 3000+ server infrastructure present in 90+ countries
- Offers Japanese IP addresses
- Provides excellent customer support
- Offers dedicated servers for P2P networking
- It is more expensive than other VPN providers
Check out our comprehensive ExpressVPN review for an in-depth assessment of this provider.
2. NordVPN Provides a Vast Server Network and Strong Infrastructure
NordVPN is one of the most trustworthy VPN providers in the industry. Although it does not cover as much ground over the world through its servers, it still has the largest network of servers. It offers 140+ servers for Japan alone.
What’s more, NordVPN uses extremely strong encryption techniques for granting maximum protection to user traffic. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and uses a strictly zero-logging policy. NordVPN is arguably the best VPN available in the market.
- Provides over 5500+ servers across 59 countries
- Offers unlimited bandwidth across all servers
- Zero-logging policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Enabling double VPN can slow down server speed
You can read our complete NordVPN review to learn more about this provider.
3. PureVPN Offers the Most Geographically Diverse Server List
PureVPN has the distinction of being the only VPN provider that covers almost the entire globe in terms of server locations. Based in Hong-Kong, PureVPN offers dedicated servers located in Japan. If you want to virtually convert your IP address to a Japanese one, you can rely on PureVPN.
PureVPN uses high-quality encryption techniques to allow tight security to user traffic. The subscription rates are also quite cheap. With the massive amount of features available at affordable subscription plans, you cannot go wrong with PureVPN. Thus, the provider offers the perfect solution to get Japanese IP if this what you are seeking.
- Offers over 6500+ servers across 140+ countries in the world
- Follows no-logging policy
- Provides Japanese IP
- Uses strong encryption protocols such as OpenVPN
- Does not offer a free trial feature
For further information, read our full PureVPN review.
4. PrivateVPN Is a Privacy-Friendly and Secure VPN Service
PrivateVPN is quickly rising ranks among leading VPN providers in the industry. It is a Sweden-based company that offers dedicated servers for torrenting. The company acknowledges the importance of safeguarding the privacy of users against the dangers of agencies tracking torrent users.
PrivateVPN offers a smaller list of servers. However, these servers offer high speeds round the clock, and connections are considered stable. It offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee as well. PrivateVPN performs exceedingly well whether you want to download torrents or access geo-restricted content in Japan. Thus, it deserves a place among the list of best VPN services.
- Offers ultra-fast server speeds
- Allows up to 6 simultaneous connections using the same VPN account
- Users can avail money-back guarantee for up to 30 days
- Offers dedicated servers for torrenting
- A relatively smaller network of servers
You can read our PrivateVPN review for more information about this service’s key features.
5. Ivacy Provides State-of-the-art Features at Nominal Budget
Ivacy is one of the cheapest VPN services available. However, despite its price, it would be a mistake to underestimate the quality of this VPN provider. Ivacy offers hundreds of servers in over a hundred different locations.
It also packs all critical features that a leading VPN service should possess. Furthermore, it offers unlimited bandwidth so that you can perform streaming and torrenting without worrying about running out of data. If you cannot afford a more expensive VPN, then Ivacy should be your go-to option as the best Japanese IP VPN.
- Offers over 3000+ servers in more than 100 locations
- Uses 256-bit encryption
- Automatic kill switch
- Allows anonymous torrenting
- Nothing worth complaining about
Read our detailed Ivacy review to find out more about this provider.
How to get a Japanese IP: Step by Step Process
The above-mentioned list of VPN providers are reliable and can be used to get a Japanese IP address. Here are the specific steps for this:
- Subscribe to one of the VPN services from the list above
- Download and install the VPN app from the provider’s website to your device
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server from Japan
- As soon as you are connected, your IP will be converted to a Japanese IP address
Choosing the Right VPN
The decision to purchase a VPN service is one that needs to be based on good and comprehensive judgment. A poor VPN service can leak your sensitive information to unwanted parties, defeating the whole purpose of using a VPN in the first place.
As such, there are a number of considerations that you must keep in mind when you’re going to get a Japanese IP address. These are highlighted below
- Server Locations: This is the primary requirement of users when selecting a VPN. If you wish to access content within a certain region, then your VPN needs to have servers in those locations. For instance, users who wish to obtain a Japanese IP address to circumvent geo-restrictions must choose a VPN having Japanese servers.
- Bandwidth Limit: It is important to be free of bandwidth limits as you can easily run out of it if you like streaming or torrenting. Therefore, make sure that your chosen VPN provider offers unlimited bandwidth.
- Encryption: The quality of encryption determines the strength of the security of your data traffic. You should only choose VPN providers that use updated encryption protocols such as OpenVPN. These advanced encryption protocols are effective in nullifying security risks that pervade cyberspace.
Alternative Options for Getting a Japanese IP Address
VPN services offer the simplest and most reliable method of obtaining a Japanese IP address. Some of these alternatives are described below:
Proxy websites can change your IP address as it is visible to the rest of the world. However, proxies offer extremely poor speeds and often bombard the user with unwanted advertisements. Moreover, it does not offer proper security nor encryption. Therefore, we do not recommend proxies as you can never be sure about your privacy and security with these services.
Tor is a free browser that provides reasonably high privacy and anonymity to your identity and traffic. It works by scrambling your data through relays in a distributed network. This prevents snoopers from tracing your data back to your location and identity. However, it often suffers from poor connection speeds which makes certain activities such as streaming almost impossible.
SmartDNS allows users to access geo-restricted streams such as Netflix US. It is a popular service that you can use to watch your favorite shows on Netflix US. Unfortunately, it does not provide encryption and is, therefore, an insecure service.
It is possible to access geo-blocked content in Japan and other parts of the world through different methods as described above. However, no alternative provides the simplicity, security, and speed in order to choose a Japanese IP.
Therefore, we suggest you choose a reliable VPN provider from the list above and enjoy the free Internet that Japan is known for.
Did you find this blog helpful?
Feel free to share your thoughts and feedback in the comment section below. You can also read our guide on the best VPN services to learn about other leading providers in the market.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?