When you think of Indonesia, all that comes in to your mind is its exquisite holiday destinations with remarkable beaches, large shopping malls, and its amazing wildlife.
But what you don’t know is that the government has banned independent news websites, sports broadcast, dating apps, and any website that criticizes government actions.
These restrictions can only be avoided by the use of a VPN. In this guide, I will be discussing some of the best VPN Indonesia.
Let’s have an overview of these VPNs before we get into details…
- PureVPN – A budget-friendly VPN with 2000+ servers in 140+ countries.
- NordVPN – A Panama based VPN service with 5600+ in 60 countries
- Surfshark – The most affordable VPN in the industry with 1,000+ servers
- ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN in the industry with 3000+ servers worldwide
- CyberGhost – A super reliable VPN with 3200+ servers in 60 countries.
5 Best VPN Services for Indonesia
For the ease of users, I have compiled a list of VPN providers along with their most important features and pricing.
This would help you making sound decisions and unblock enjoy online freedom in Indonesia. Here is a list of top VPN Indonesia.
1. PureVPN – Budget-Friendly VPN Service
PureVPN is our top recommendation for people of Indonesia because it is budget-friendly, has 2,000+ servers, and has a good speed for streaming purposes.
Indonesian locals can easily access any website without any restrictions without you being identified online. PureVPN hides your original IP address and assigns you with its own.
It has compatibility with a number of device including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, FireStick, Roku, Kodi, and more.
2. NordVPN – Largest Server Network
NordVPN is known for its large server network (i.e. 5,600) distributed all in more than 60 countries. Not only this, NordVPN also offers robust tunneling protocols that secure user data through advanced encryption.
A good encryption is really necessary if you’re going to keep your online identity hidden in Indonesia because you don’t want to get detected by your ISP.
NordVPN also has the distinction of allowing up to 6 devices to connect at the same time. This means that with a single NordVPN account, you can enjoy its VPN services on 6 devices simultaneously.
With NordVPN, you can gain access to virtually any blocked content while also ensuring your security. NordVPN is easily one of the secure VPN for Indonesia having a price at $3.49/mo for its 3 year plan.
3. Surfshark – Fastest VPN Service
One feature is its unlimited simultaneous connections. With a single Surfshark account, you can connect to unlimited devices at the same time. Now that’s worth your money.
You get 1,000 servers in 60 countries with a clean web feature. This feature would let you surf the web with no trackers, ads, or malware.
It supports AES-256-GCM encryption which is the industry’s leading encryption that makes it almost impossible to leak users’ data.
4. ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN Service
ExpressVPN despite an expensive price of $8.32/mo, is the fastest VPN there is in this list. Hardly you will find a decrease in its speed after you connect to this service.
ExpressVPN has servers located in 94 countries with more than 3,000 servers. ExpressVPN uses strong military-grade encryption that protect user data from malicious hackers and intrusive agencies.
Due to its huge server base, it has strong unblocking capabilities, which makes it one of the best VPN for streaming video.
It is based British Virgin Islands that has no data retention laws. Meaning, everything you do over the internet remains completely anonymous. It works with all major operating platforms.
5. CyberGhost – Super Reliable
CyberGhost is truly a VPN solution for people living in and outside of Indonesia. You can access social media websites and independent news channels.
With over 3,200 servers and availability in 60 countries, it will benefit you as the best VPN for Indonesia. It costs $2.75/mo for its 3-year plan, which is completely affordable.
It supports 7 multiple connections at the same time and has 24/7 live chat support. If you want to access US Netflix from Indonesia, it let you access that as well.
Free VPN Indonesia that Unblocks Geo-restricted Sites
The only free VPN I found that works exceptionally well in Indonesia is ProtonVPN. There are many factors that I checked while making this decision. Some of these include bandwidth limit, number of servers, and speed.
ProtonVPN emphasizes user privacy and guarantees zero-logging of user traffic flowing through its servers.
Using ProtonVPN, users in Indonesia can easily evade the censorship issue and consume content from social media without fearing government surveillance. Therefore, ProtonVPN is easily the best VPN for Indonesia.
Why you need a VPN in Indonesia
Indonesia might be known for having the fourth largest population in the world i.e. 270 Million, or for its renowned biodiversity, but people who live knows that there’s restrictions when viewing websites.
Here are some of the reasons why there’s an increase use of a VPN in Indonesia:
- AI-Based Crawler: In 2018, the Indonesia’s ministry of communication and information technology (MCIT), launched a custom web crawler known as Cyber Drone 9 that filtered ‘negative content’ and have them blocked from people accessing it.
- Government Surveillance: Under the Information and Electronic Transaction Law (ITE Law), the government and the ISP has the authority to block websites that are not in favor of the government or their vision.
- Arrest of Activists: Indonesian government has arrested many activists for using internet service for the purpose of religious matter, defamation, or spreading fake news. If you don’t want to be seen online, you’ve got to use a VPN.
- VPNs are Legal in Indonesia: Even though there are countries like Russia and China that have banned the use of VPNs, but not Indonesia. Using a VPN in Indonesia is complete safe and legal.
- Blocked Streaming Services: The availability of streaming services is far for from perfect in Indonesia. You cannot access Spotify or Google Play to stream music in Indonesia. With a VPN, you can access these websites.
The Electronic, Information Transaction Act
— SEAPA (@seapabkk) October 16, 2014
Accessing Banned Social Media Websites through a VPN
Social media faces heavy censorship in Indonesia. Websites like Facebook, Imgur, YouTube, Reddit, and Vimeo, all are frequently found to be inaccessible from within Indonesia.
This leaves Indonesians deprived from participating in social media like the rest of the world. Indonesian government has a history of disagreements with Google as evidenced by blocking of its services in the past.
For Indonesians, it can be difficult to stay in touch with their friends and the rest of the world through social media.
This is why it has become important to use a VPN service and unblock social media through a VPN.
Follow these instructions to unblock social media website in Indonesia:
- Download any of the VPN service listed above
- Subscribe to their service
- Enter Username and Password
- Access and website
VPNs for Other Countries
For your convenience, we have created blogs on VPN services that work best in numerous countries. The list includes:
There’s not much of an internet penetration in Indonesia, but there’s certainly the use of a VPN in the country. With so many social website being banned along with the blocking of independent news websites. you surely need a VPN.
PureVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark, ExpressVPN, and CyberGhost are some of the best VPN Indonesia that I have recommended to my users.