Finland is a peaceful place with fairly liberal laws that encourage free speech. Internet censorship is almost unheard of in the country, nor are agencies known to be involved in online domestic surveillance.
But this might change soon. Lawmakers in the country passed surveillance bills in March 2019 which give enhanced powers to agencies in the country, raising questions about how well-protected user privacy really is in Finland.
As such, the need for VPNs in Finland as protective measures for their online privacy has suddenly increased.
I recommend PureVPN as the best VPN for Finland because the provider covers all bases from a no-logging guarantees, outstanding server diversity, and download speed at the low cost of $2.91/mo.
Top 6 VPNs to Use in Finland
The passages below discuss the best VPN services for Finland:
The provider has 2,000 servers distributed in over 140 countries, including 6 servers in Espoo, Finland. The offshore servers can be used by Finnish users to bypass local restrictions on content from other countries. With the local Finnish server, you can access Finland streaming channels like Tutonen, MTV 3, TV 7 Finland quite easily.
One of the reasons why PureVPN is particularly good from the privacy standpoint is its no-logging policy that the provider guarantees. There’s no personally identifiable information of customers being logged by this service, since Hong Kong does not have any mandatory data logging requirements.
As such, users in Finland can put a cloak of invisibility over their online activities by using PureVPN. Furthermore, using a VPN like this you would make you worry-free from mandatory data retention laws in Finland. It is also a good choice for safe torrenting amidst strict anti-piracy laws in Finland.
With extra features such as a killswitch, split-tunneling, and 10 simultaneous connections, PureVPN is a complete package of online privacy for a mere cost of $2.91/mo , that too with 31-day money-back guarantee.
Having 1000+ servers in 60+ countries, including Finland, Surfshark has a relatively modest server network. Nonetheless, this network is highly efficient for all kinds of purposes such as unblocking streams and bypassing geo-restrictions. This can be quite useful if you want access to US exclusive Netflix shows that are unavailable in Finland.
On the other hand, Surfshark’s Finnish servers allow you to access local channels like Stadi.TV and Estradi at high quality and minimal buffering.
Surfshark is based in British Virgin Islands (BVI), which is the perfect jurisdiction for anyone who seeks the comfort of pure online privacy. Considering the existing surveillance situation in Finland, the absence of any data retention requirements in BVI allow Surfshark to offer a completely log-free experience to Finnish users.
On top of this, Surfshark offers an ad-blocker (CleanWeb), MultiHop, killswitch, and WhiteLister (split-tunneling) to further consolidate the privacy of your online activities.
At a cost of $1.99/mo with a money back guarantee valid for 30 days, it is hard to find a better offer than Surfshark.
NordVPN consists of 5,500+ servers in over 60 locations, with 40 of these servers based in Finland alone. As such, you can use NordVPN within Finland to access foreign content not directly accessible in the country; and if you’re traveling abroad, you can use the Finnish servers to access websites that only work in Finland, such as your local bank.
NordVPN is based in Panama, which is another country highly favored by privacy advocates because of the lack of data retention laws, a point of great importance considering Finnish data retention laws.
NordVPN adds a variety of extra features on top of its core component, which include DoubleVPN, CyberSec (ad-blocker), Onion over VPN, and obfuscated servers. Moreover, it is an excellent choice for streaming and torrent downloading.
Since Finland has strict anti-piracy laws, you wouldn’t want to perform and p2p activity without the security of a VPN on the background. For this as well, NordVPN itself as an excellent choice.
It is slightly more expensive than the top two VPNs discussed, costing $3.49/mo .
For more information, see this NordVPN review.
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers in 94 countries including Finland. This VPN is good for torrenting, streaming, as well as general browsing with a high degree of privacy within Finland.
ExpressVPN, like its counterpart Surfshark, is based in BVI. This provider is one of the most renowned service in the industry because of their true commitment to user privacy, which privacy-seeking Finnish citizens can immediately avail.
The provider is quite popular among streaming enthusiasts courtesy of its fast server speeds which allows for streaming movies/shows with VPN on platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu.
The only real drawback of ExpressVPN is the high cost, which is currently $8.32/mo .
More information about this VPN can be found in this ExpressVPN review.
CyberGhost features a large network of 5,500+ servers in 90+ countries with 48 of these in Helsinki, Finland. As such, you can count on CyberGhost whether you’re located within Finland or planning to travel abroad for a while. You will get complete access to the internet in either case using CyberGhost’s local as well as offshore servers.
You can also use this VPN for streaming (it works with Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.) and torrenting purposes, as most servers in their network are optimized for these tasks. However, CyberGhost offers average speed on their servers, which might be a little bit frustrating to some users.
This VPN provider ensures zero-logging of user activity or any personally identifiable information. Considering the recent surveillance bills passed in Finland, it is very important to have a no-logging provider at your disposal.
All things considered, CyberGhost is a decent VPN Suomi (yeah, that’s what Finnish call their homeland) available for $2.75/mo with a 45-day refund period.
Learn more about this VPN provider in our CyberGhost review.
Ivacy offers 7 streaming optimized servers within Finland. If you are traveling away from the country and need an easy way to access local Finnish channels like Estradi abroad, these servers can get the job done with remarkable reliability.
Meanwhile, the network of 1,000+ servers in 100+ locations around the world will you set you up for unblocking popular SVoD services like Netflix and Hulu. For streaming fans in Finland, therefore, Ivacy is an easy choice.
But the benefits don’t stop here. The service is also effective when it comes to shielding user privacy from any sort of outside interference, be it governments or nosy third-parties. The zero-logs policy and security-focused features like IPv6 leak protection, DNS Secure, and killswitch, further guarantee your privacy from any online threats that may lurking in Finland.
It is also one of the more affordable VPNs, priced at $2.25/mo . With a 30-day money-back guarantee and 5 simultaneous connections to boot, it is one great choice for Finnish users looking for a privacy-enabling and restriction-bypassing VPN.
You can learn more about this VPN in this Ivacy review.
Best Free VPN in Finland
The VPN providers discussed above are the best paid services available for Finland. There are some providers that offer free VPN services though it is difficult to find one since most free providers come with severe limitations.
Nonetheless, the following are some VPN software available for free that you should try:
For more information about these, see this article on free VPN services.
Why You Should Use a VPN for Finland?
Here’s a few good reasons why VPNs are important to have in Finland:
- Privacy: The Finnish government recently enforced surveillance bills which give enhanced control and surveillance powers to government and intelligence agencies over citizens. A log-free VPN can shield you from government monitoring and tracking
- Watching Live Streams and TV using a Finnish IP Address: Some popular Finnish TV channels like Kutonen, MTV 3, TV 7 Finland, Stadi.TV, Estradi, only work if you are based in Finland. VPNs like PureVPN and NordVPN can give you Finnish IP address to gain access to these channels from abroad.
- Safe torrenting: Finland doesn’t take piracy lightly. in 2017, thousands of Finnish people were under investigation for copyright offenses through torrents. VPNs encrypt your traffic and online activities, making you invisible to authorities and improving your safety while torrenting.
All premium VPN services worth their salt have these capabilities so make sure you don’t go for some shady-looking service in your search for online privacy.
Features to Look for in a Quality VPN
Here are some of the main considerations you should keep in mind when searching for the decent Finland VPN:
- VPN servers in Finland: Having a VPN with servers in your homeland will allow you to obtain a Finnish IP address so you can access geo-restricted websites and services from the country while you are away.
- Geographical distribution of servers: VPN software backed by a large server network usually offers better performance and speeds. In addition, it allows you to connect to different locations to access content that might only be available from those locations.
- Access to geo-restricted content: Some online streaming services such as Netflix can detect if a user is accessing the website through a VPN. Subsequently, they might block your connection. The VPN providers that we suggested above, however, can get around this problem and ensure you are able to access these services.
- Free trial or money-back guarantee: VPN providers that offer free trial or money-back guarantee can be tested first before you decide to continue your subscription. This is a great way to check first-hand whether the VPN is powerful enough to unblock the services you wish to access.
- Customer support: It is extremely important that your VPN provider has good customer support. Since VPNs offer service on large scales, often encompassing continents, technical problems and issues can inevitably occur. However, if the customer support of the VPN is competent, chances are you won’t suffer any serious setbacks without prompt resolution.
Is it safe to use a VPN or Proxy?
VPN and proxy services are similar but offer different levels of security. VPNs are much more secure because they use private encrypted tunnels, whereas proxy only routes your traffic through a remote server which may not have sufficient security built within.
Therefore, while most proxy servers can be found for free online, it is better not use these. They have poor privacy controls and can do more harm than good to your web security.
Best Finnish VPN: Final Thoughts
PureVPN is the best VPN choice to use in Finland. It has the ability to break geo-restrictions and protect users from government surveillance for better privacy. The increasing powers of agencies to perform surveillance on citizens and the perennial geo-restriction problems have created a constant demand for VPNs in Finland, a trend that is likely to continue in the times to come.