DD-WRT routers are gaining in popularity owing to their enhanced performance and features for wireless Internet. DD-WRT is an open source Linux-based firmware developed as an upgrade for built-in router firmware with limited capabilities.
DD-WRT routers are extremely versatile and allow users with much greater control over the Internet. However, when it comes to the Internet, there is no such thing as too much security. Therefore, it is important to configure your router with a VPN to enable an encrypted connection to the Internet.
We have prepared this article to help you choose the best VPN for DD WRT routers. You might also be interested in our blog on the best VPN routers for general usage.
5 Best VPNs for DD WRT Routers
|VPN Providers||Price ($)||Special Deals||More Info|
Best Affordable VPN
$2.95 Per Month
Exclusive Discount 1 year Plan
Best Budget Service
$1.99 Per Month
2 Years Deal
Best for Geo-Unblocking
$2.99 Per Month
3 Years Plan
Best for Streaming
$8.32 Per Month
No Exclusive Offer
Best for Private Browsing
$2.75 Per Month
3 Years Deal
1. PureVPN Uses Strong Encryption Protocols for Router Protection
Moreover, the strong 256-bit encryption provides the maximum security to your devices sharing the Internet connection over the same router. Therefore, PureVPN is one of the best VPN for DD WRT router that you can avail for highly affordable subscription rates.
Pros of PureVPN
- Provides over 750 servers located in 140+ countries
- Offer anti-malware protection
- Includes ad-blocking feature
- Cross-platform compatibility
Cons of PureVPN
- Does not offer a free trial feature
Read our exclusive PureVPN review for more information on this provider.
2. NordVPN Provides Rock-Solid Security through Robust Encryption
NordVPN emphasizes the privacy and security of their online users more than anything else. This is why the VPN provider offers a double VPN feature that adds an additional layer of security to user traffic. In addition, NordVPN has the largest list of servers, offering numerous redundant servers located in over 60 countries.
We recommend using NordVPN for users who value their online privacy as their top-most priority. Thus, NordVPN is the best VPN for DD WRT router for a privacy-conscious users.
Pros of NordVPN
- Provides 4000+ servers in 60+ countries
- Uses double encryption for added security
- Follows no-logging policy
- Supports connection of up to 6 devices at the same time
Cons of NordVPN
- Enabling double VPN can slow down some servers
Find out more about NordVPN in our complete NordVPN review.
3. ExpressVPN Is a Popular Choice in the VPN Industry
ExpressVPN has a server list that extends more than 90 countries. These servers function at lightning fast speeds and provide stable connections round the clock. However, ExpressVPN is slightly expensive. Nonetheless, for users that have the cash to afford it, ExpressVPN is arguably the best VPN for DD-WRT routers in terms of server speeds and security.
Pros of ExpressVPN
- Provide 1,700 servers in more than 94 countries
- Offers dedicated servers for P2P networking
- Uses 256-bit encryption
- Provides 30-day money-back guarantee
Cons of ExpressVPN
- Expensive subscription compared to other VPN providers
Learn about this service provider in our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
4. PrivateVPN Provides Excellent Security-Packed Performance
PrivateVPN is a Sweden-based VPN provider. The company believes in the right of every user to maintain their privacy. As such, it is one of the safest and most trustworthy VPN providers in the market. PrivateVPN operates a relatively small network of servers.
Nonetheless, it offers consistently fast speeds as well as dedicated servers for torrenting. Thus, PrivateVPN is the best VPN option for DD WRT routers if you are looking to safely perform torrenting.
Pros of PrivateVPN
- Offers unlimited bandwidth
- Uses AES-256 bit encryption
- Allows up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Offers 30-day money-back guarantee
Cons of PrivateVPN
- Customer support is only available at business hours
Read our comprehensive PrivateVPN review for more information about this provider.
5. Ivacy Delivers Various Features at Nominal Rates
Ivacy is one of the cheapest VPN service providers available. Ivacy offers all the key features that a top VPN service should have at surprisingly low rates. It has servers located in more than 100 countries across the world.
At the same time, it uses the most up-to-date encryption and offers unlimited bandwidth. Also, users can connect up to 5 devices at the same time. Therefore, if you are strapped for money, Ivacy can be the best VPN for DD WRT router.
Pros of Ivacy
- Provides 275+ servers in over 100 locations across the world
- Uses military-grade encryption
- Offers unlimited bandwidth
- Supports P2P networking
Cons of Ivacy
- Users can avail money-back guarantee for only 7 days
Check out our detailed Ivacy review for a complete assessment of this provider.
Best Free VPNs for DD WRT Routers
Using a premium VPN provider is a reliable method for maintaining your online privacy. Free VPN services are notorious for selling user information and data to third parties like ad agencies. This is necessary to fund to their operations, since they do not charge users for the service.
However, there are some reliable free VPN providers that value user privacy and security. Here are some of the best free VPN providers for DD-WRT routers
ProtonVPN is a Switzerland-based provider that offers a free VPN version. ProtonVPN takes advantage of the privacy-friendly laws of Switzerland and guarantee a zero-logging policy. It uses strong tunneling protocols that keep data traffic of users encrypted and secure. ProtonVPN is, therefore, the best VPN for DD WRT router that you can have for free.
Check out our complete ProtonVPN review to learn more about the key features of this service provider.
Windsribe is another excellent free VPN provider. It offers decent protection to users and a P2P networking feature. However, it has a 10GB data limit per month. This is not a bad deal considering that it offer more than 10 servers and good online protection free of cost.
Hence, Windscribe is an impressive free VPN service for DD-WRT routers. You can read our Windscribe review for more details.
SecurityKISS is a secure VPN available for free. In terms of anonymity, no other VPN provider comes close to SecurityKISS. This is because users can use the free version without any registration. Therefore, the company cannot keep logs of basic information like e-mail addresses.
Coupled with the strong encryption protocols, SecurityKISS is an excellent VPN provider for DD WRT routers if you want the best anonymity. However, it has a 300MB data usage limit for each day.
You can read our full SecurityKISS review for a detailed analysis of SecurityKISS.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Router?
A router is the main gateway that computers and other devices use to gain access to the Internet. If the router is protected through strong encryption protocols, then every device connected to it can have a secure connection.
A DD WRT routing VPN is therefore an extremely useful security-enhancing tool. Users that want to ensure their privacy and security for all devices need VPN for their DD WRT router. Therefore, a good quality VPN is an important tool as an online defense arsenal.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Router
There are several important considerations that should be borne in mind when choosing the best VPN for DD WRT router. Firstly, the VPN provide that you wish to use should support you DD-WRT router. Secondly, the extensiveness of the server network should be high. The larger the server locations, the greater access you have to geo-blocked content from around the world.
These are some of the main factors you should consider when purchasing the best VPN for DD WRT router.
DD WRT Router VPN Setup
The specific settings for installing a VPN vary for each VPN provider. The detailed guides for installing VPN on DD WRT router are available on official website support for each provider. However, most of the steps are common for all VPN providers. We will demonstrate the setup for PureVPN. For other VPN providers, you can see their respective websites for help.
PureVPN Installation Guide for DD WRT Router (Using OpenVPN)
- Download OpenVPN files.
- Open your DD WRT interface, select “services”, and go to VPN tab. Check “Enable OpenVPN Client”.
- Enter you desired server location and address in Server IP box.
- Open *.ovpn file to get the server address.
- Enter 53 for UDP and 80 for TCP in the “Port” field.
- Open the Tunnel Device drop down menu and choose “TUN”.
- Select TCP for port number 80 or UDP for port number 53 in Tunnel Protocol.
- Choose encryption level AES-256 CBC in Encryption Cipher field.
- Choose SHA1 for Hash Algorithm.
- Against “Advanced Options” select “Enable”.
- In TLS Cipher, choose “none”.
- Select “Adaptive” in LZO Compression tab.
- Disable Firewall protection and NAT.
- Leave the IP address and Subnet Mask field blank.
- Click disable on “Tunnel UDPMSS-Fix’ option.
- Go to the downloaded OpenVPN file. Click ‘WDC.key” file.
- Copy and paste the contents of the file in the TLS Auth Key field.
- Insert the file “auth-user-pass /tmp/user.txt.”
- Open the downloaded OpenVPN files again and find “CA.crt”.
- Copy and paste its contents in the CA cert field.
- Save and apply settings.
- Select the “Security Tab” on DD WRT interface and choose “Firewall” sub-tab.
- Disable the “SPI Firewall” and click “Save” and “Apply settings”.
- Select the “Administration” tab and navigate to the the “Command” sub-tab.
- Copy-paste this script in the command box
echo -e “purevpn username\npurevpn passwrord” > /tmp/user.txt
- In the above step, type your actual PureVPN username and PureVPN password.
- Select “Save Startup”.
- Choose “Management Tab” and reboot your router.
- Once the router reboots, you will would have completed your PureVPN setup on DD WRT router.
For installation guides for other VPN providers, you can use the following links:
DD WRT Router PPTP VPN
VPNs on DD WRT routers can also be setup using PPTP protocol. To install VPN on your DD WRT router, follow the guides below for each respective VPN provider.
Although most VPN providers provide PPTP protocols, this protocol is quite vulnerable and should be avoided whenever possible. Therefore, it is generally a good practice to setup the best VPN for DD WRT router using the OpenVPN protocol.
DD WRT Router VPN Gateway
Setting up the DD WRT VPN gateway requires considerable technical maneuverings. As an open-source firmware, DD WRT is ideally suited to tinkerers who like unlocking the full potential of their router through technical modifications.
Therefore, we recommend only performing these manual configurations if you possess some technical know-how. If you feel confident that you can successful perform the configuration, then you can read this detailed guide on how to set up DD WRT VPN Gateway.
DD WRT firmware allows users to gain complete control of their router’s configuration. Thus, the firmware has become popular among users those who want to go beyond the restrictions of built-in router firmware.
Nonetheless, DD WRT routers still require security and encryption to protect user traffic that passes through it. Therefore, we strongly recommend using the best VPN for DD WRT router to obtain maximum security of your data.
Did you find this article useful? Let us know in the comments!