Best VPN Reviews of 2018
Get the most unbiased and impartial reviews about the leading-edge VPN services of industry. Our reviews and evaluation about best VPN reviews of 2018 are based on offerings & service claims of a VPN provider. To deliver the most accurate findings to our readers, we pass a VPN through rigorous testing to evaluate its speed, server performance, features, level of encryption, reliability and plans.
With 171+ servers in USA, 62+ in the UK, 40+ in Australia and 20 in Canada, PureVPN is used as a tool to unblock all the geo-restricted websites and channels. It provides IP addresses from 500+ cities in 140+ countries & tunnels your traffic through OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and SSTP. PureVPN can be set up on all the leading smartphones, tabs, operating software and devices.Read Full Review
Nord VPN has currently 18+ VPN servers that are responsible for providing you the access to blocked and geo-restricted content. Nord VPN is compatible with Windows, Android, Linux, Mac and iOS. Nord VPN tunnels your traffic through PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols and also provides double VPN encryption support. Nord VPN does not keep the record of your online activities.Read Full Review
With an encryption support of up to 2048-bit, SaferVPN is one of the safest VPN services to use. The users get a different insight to the world of internet with 100+ servers support. Compatibility as solid as a rock, the users can enjoy using it on their devices without being afraid of device compatibility. SaferVPN is worth a try because you get a 15-day money back guarantee.Read Full Review
Ivacy VPN stands in the list of the VPN providers that are known for fast online streaming and unblocking feature. It comes with a protocol support of L2TP/IPSec, PPTP and OpenVPN; Ivacy also helps to shield you from the hackers. Ivacy offers 250+ servers all over the world including in the UK and US; if you are looking for privacy, connecting to the USA is your best bet.Read Full Review
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN providers to unblock all the restricted and blocked websites from your home country. ExpressVPN is also considered as the best security tool to equip your devices with. ExpressVPN tunnels your data through L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, OpenVPN and SSTP protocols and gives you 97+ VPN servers all over the world. ExpressVPN provides 24/7 Live Chat Support.Read Full Review
HideMyAss enables you to access the websites and streaming channels that are blocked from viewership in your region. It tunnels your traffic through OpenVPN, PPTP, SSTP and L2TP/IPSec. HideMyAss also comes in handy for providing online security against cybercriminals. HideMyAss gives you 850+ VPN servers. It works on all the devices, operating software and leading routers.Read Full Review
ShadeYouVPN provides servers in UK, US and Canada to unblock all the geo-restricted websites. The overall location count of ShadeYouVPN is 13 in 11 countries. ShadeYouVPN tunnels all the data through OpenVPN, PPTP and LTP/IPSec protocols and provides-bit strong encryption to keep your data safe. ShadeYouVPN also provides 5 multi-logins so you can set it up on different devices.Read Full Review
PrivateInternetAccess offers 2091+ VPN servers to all its users. This count is enough to unblock the websites and to provide you the anonymity. PrivateInternetAccess supports P2P file sharing and comes with VOIP support as well. PrivateInternetAccess gives you the options to tunnel your traffic through OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP. It also provides 24/7/365 Customer Support.Read Full Review
Overplay VPN users have the choice to choose from 48 regions to get connected to. Overplay VPN provides its users with fast working servers that are used to bypass the geo-restrictions set on websites and online streaming services. Overplay VPN uses PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols to keep the data and internet traffic safe. It provides 24/7/365 Customer Support to users.Read Full Review
LiquidVPN offers 32 servers in 5 countries and provides endless access to all the websites and streaming services that are subjected to restrictions and censorship. LiquidVPN is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux mobiles & DD-WRT routers. LiquidVPN provides 24/7/365 Customer Support to everyone and does not keep any logs. It supports OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSEC, SSTP & PPTP protocols.Read Full Review
ibVPN provides 80+ VPN locations so you can smash all the restrictive websites and other streaming services in your region. ibVPN provides you with more than 2000 IP addresses and gives you access to servers that are specially designed for torrents and P2P. ibVPN provides 2 simultaneous connections on a single account and also provides a 15-day money back guarantee to its users.Read Full Review
NVPN is another online privacy service striving hard to become a major privacy advocate in future. The provider is offering its services in all the major countries of the world through 65 servers. The service provides a list of compelling features to the users. Therefore, you can opt NVPN Review if you want to secure your online privacy from anywhere.Read Full Review
AceVPN is an online privacy service working in the industry for more than nine years. The service offers a list of compelling benefits to the users hassle-free. Furthermore, the subscribers can try out the service on their different devices straightaway. AceVPN is an interesting choice for those novice users who are planning to secure their online privacy.Read Full Review
When it comes to finding free VPN services, Betternet is a viable option. In addition to the free package, it also offer premium plans. With the paid version, you get access to over 10 servers, exclusive apps and software for Windows, Android, and iOS, and decent performance. However, Betternet is not short of faults. To learn more about its pros and cons, check out our full review.Read Full Review
Astrill is one of the most popular and long standing VPN services in the industry. It has a commendable user base and offers servers spread in over 50 different countries. Renowned for impeccable performance and strong security feature, Astrill is an attractive choice. With Astrill VPN, you OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and IKEv2 protocols and AES 256 bit military grade encryption.Read Full Review
What is a VPN?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network is like an extension of an internet and allows you to create a secure private network over public networks. The purpose of a VPN is to secure your connection and shield it from different threats lurking over the internet. A VPN allows you to hide your true location, encrypt all your Internet traffic and route it through secure tunnels while making you anonymous in the process and protecting all your confidential data.
Which VPN Protocol Should I Use?
A VPN offers multiple protocols to secure your data from various online threats. However, each of these protocols differs from one another and offer different levels of security. Our VPN reviews provide in-depth information about the protocols offered by each of these VPN providers. That said, here are the strengths and weaknesses of protocols:
- PPTP:It is considered the least secure VPN protocol and can be breached easily by surveillance agencies and hackers. However, PPTP is best for streaming as it does not compromise your internet speeds and allows fast performance.
- L2TP/IPSec:It is more secure than PPTP and offers reliable security to all VPN users. L2TP/IPSec works well on all iOS devices and platforms that don’t support OpenVPN. On the downside, L2TP/IPSec can hamper your performance and can be a bit tricky to setup.
- OpenVPN:This is the best VPN protocol you can use today. It is considered the most secure protocol and also delivers great performance. Due to its open source nature, OpenVPN does not have backdoors for governmental agencies such as NSA.
- SSTP:Only available on Windows platform. That said, SSTP does offer reliable security and privacy. However, due to its limited compatibility, not many VPN providers offer SSTP protocol.
- IKEv2:It is also a strong protocol that can protect your privacy and security against greatest of threats if implemented through open source. IKEv2 is really useful for mobile users, incase OpenVPN is not supported.
Who Needs VPN?
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an economical & top-grade solution for robust online protection and superior data privacy. Considering the privacy & unblocking needs of a modern day user, VPN has proven to be an affordable option. In addition to this, following user types find VPN to be the most suitable solution for desired proposes:
When we talk about entertainment channels, not all countries are served the same. Various hit channels like HBO Now, Fox GO, Channel 7, Nine Network, Netflix, 4oD, Cinema Now, ESPN and more channels are geo-restricted in many parts of the world.
To get around with the geo-restrictions, fanatics find VPN as a one-stop solution to instantly access thousands of blocked channels from anywhere in the world.
Tourists and travelers use public WiFi networks (Coffee Shop, Hotel, and other public places) as a prime solution to get connected with friends and family members located in different regions of the world.
However, various state-sponsored agencies, hackers, identity thieves, data phishers, and other cyber goons are searching ways to intrude into users’ data privacy. A VPN, in this case, provides first-grade data encryption, while ensuring robust data privacy and online security to users.
VoIP & Instant Messenger Subscribers
Gone are the days when users relied on over-priced carrier packages for calling their loved ones. The VoIP and instant messaging services (IMO, Skype, Viber, Line, Messenger, WhatsApp) with their free plans have now become users’ top choice for communication.
However, ISP monitoring and unauthorized surveillance have left users with no other option except to compromise on their privacy and let ISP poke nose in their private calls and messages. To get around with unauthorized surveillance, a VPN encrypts your entire traffic and makes you anonymous to almost every person on earth who wants to eavesdrop on your privacy.
Online Transactions & Crypto Currency Users
Securing one’s financial information holds prime importance for the majority of users. Various hackers, identity thieves, and cyber criminals are seeking ways to get access to users’ credit card information, bank balance and more sensitive information. To secure your online transactions, a VPN offers military grade protection to your network connection, while keeping the cyber criminals at bay.
In addition to this, various users have reported facing issues while accessing online banking from abroad. A VPN in this situation allows you to spoof location to the desired country, so you can access your account and perform secure transactions from any corner of the world.
Cloud Storage Subscribers
Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud and other cloud storage services have taken the place of traditional hard drives and USBs. With the revolution of technology, users have adapted the new technology to store personal pictures, videos & documents, without considering the associated threats.
To stay safe and protect your passwords from hackers, users choose VPN for a top-notch password encryption and reliable online protection.
Why Do You Need a VPN?
The internet is a dark place and full of dangers. There are numerous threats that can compromise your privacy and security one way or another. That’s why you need a VPN. It is a tool that can defend against these threats and also provide additional benefits. Here are 4 main reasons to use a VPN:
- Protection Against State Surveillances:There are different governmental agencies such as NSA & GCHQ that spy on netizen’s internet activities, communications, and record their metadata. A VPN makes you anonymous and protects your data from being recorded. It stops your privacy from being breached by keeping such spy agencies at bay.
- Stay Safe from Cybercriminals:When you connect to a public Wi-Fi network at an airport or a coffee shop, you are exposing yourself to hackers, spammers, phishes, snoopers, and other cybercriminals. This is where a VPN safeguards your data by encrypting it and tunneling it through secure protocols.
- Unblock Websites & Bypass Censorship:You will find that there are numerous websites such as BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Hotstar, ITV, and Pandora that only work within certain countries. Anyone trying to access these websites will be blocked off and see a geo-restriction message. Similarly, some web services such as Google is censored in China. Using a VPN, you can easily unblock and access any website from any corner on earth.
- Save Money on Tickets & Deals:If you are planning on traveling anytime soon or are about to purchase a pay-per-view event, remember that the prices vary from region to region. You can avail cheap airfares, hotel reservations, pay-per-view events, and other deals at discounted prices by changing your location through a VPN service.
How Do We Conduct VPN Reviews?
At VPNRanks, we conduct in-depth VPN reviews and evaluate each provider based on different criteria so that you get the best and most valuable VPN services. Here are our VPN review criteria:
- Performance:We measure a VPNs performance through speed tests, IP leak test, and DNS leak test. Speed tests allow us to gauge the internet speeds offered by a VPN on different servers and protocols, while IP and DNS leak test show how secure the VPN really is.
- Prices:Different VPN providers offer different pricing plans. We evaluate whether the VPN’s price matches the quality of service and performance.
- Servers:A top-notch VPN service will offer multiple servers spread across the world. While conducting VPN reviews, we test different servers from different regions.
- Customer Support:Hallmark of a great VPN service is how it facilitates its customers. We test different customer support access points such as email ticketing system, live chat, and also evaluate the knowledge base offered by the VPN provider.
- Protocols & Encryption:Using different protocols and encryption levels is how a VPN secures your privacy and provides you online security. Our VPN reviews cover detailed analysis of the protocols and encryptions provided.
- Compatibility & Tutorials:In today’s world, it is important that a VPN is compatible on multiple platforms. We evaluate the compatibility of each provider in our VPN reviews and also check whether they offer setup tutorials to guide their subscribers.