Internet in Sri Lanka has a low penetration rate. The low digital literacy in the country prevents a reasonably high Internet usage. In addition, the government performs surveillance on online content for ensuring political stability. As a result, censorship is not unheard of in the country. A VPN for Sri Lanka offers one way bypass blocked content.
In this post, we are going to assess and review of the best VPN for Sri Lanka 2018. In addition, we will discuss how these VPN services can help you go through restrictions.
5 Best Sri Lanka VPN
VPN providers in Sri Lanka offer a variety of features for the convenience of their users. Using these VPN services, users can gain access to any blocked content from the country. This can greatly improve the accessibility of the Internet for Sri Lankan users.
In the following passages, the top-rated VPN services providers in Sri Lanka are described with the pros and cons associated with each.
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
| 73% Off |
Exclusive Discount 73% Off
| 75% Off |
3 Years Plan
| 83% Off |
2 Years Deal
| 73% Off |
6 months Free
| 35% OFF |
No Exclusive Offer
PureVPN started its VPN service in 2007. It has been offering excellent service enabled by its 750+ servers distributed in more than 140 countries of the world. PureVPN uses encryption protocols that offer robust security, such as OpenVPN, L2TP, SSTP, and PPTP.
There is dedicated support for P2P activities that keep the identity of users anonymous. With PureVPN, bypassing geo-restrictions becomes a simple process. Using one of its 140+ servers, users can gain access to any blocked website from anywhere in the world.
This makes PureVPN a powerful service for users in Sri Lanka. Thus, we recommend PureVPN as one of the best VPN for Sri Lanka.
Also read: Best VPN for Denmark in 2018
- Provides more than 750 servers in over 140 countries
- Uses advanced tunneling protocols
- Users can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously to the same VPN account
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Server speeds can slow down during peak load
NordVPN offers the largest network of servers in the whole VPN industry. There are more than 4,700 servers under the arsenal of NordVPN currently. These servers are spread over 62 countries in the world.
NordVPN uses innovative encryption mechanisms to protect all user traffic moving through its servers. The Double VPN feature is uniquely offered by NordVPN and it enhances the strength of security by two times.
Another great feature of NordVPN is users can connect up to 6 devices using the same VPN account. As such, NordVPN is one of the most secure Sri Lanka VPN service.
- Strong server infrastructure consisting of 4,700+ servers
- Allows simultaneous connections to up to 6 devices
- Users can avail a 3-day free trial
- Offers 30-day money-back guarantee
- Enabling the double VPN feature can cause a reduction in server speeds
ExpressVPN is top-tier VPN provider that is widely popular among users from all over the world. ExpressVPN is known for its capability of bypassing all kinds of restrictions on sites and services.
In addition to this, it also uses strong military-grade encryption technology that effectively secures data transmission to and from the user’s device to server.
ExpressVPN also ranks high our list of best VPNs for Indonesia.
- Provides over 2,000 servers located in more than 94 countries
- Offers dedicated servers for P2P networking
- Users can avail 30-day money-back guarantee
- Subscription plans are more expensive than other VPN providers
IPVanish is a US-based VPN provider that possess a huge pool of shared IP. There are over 1,000 severs located in 60 countries that IPVanish uses to provide excellent protection and anonymity. IPVanish is recognized for its fast server speeds that are excellent for supporting smooth streaming.
IPVanish also has the distinction of allowing 10 devices at the same time to connect to the same VPN account. IPVanish also uses OpenVPN encryption mechanism that offers effective security to users.
If you are performing transactions or transferring sensitive information, IPVanish’s encryption will ensure robust security.
IPVanish is therefore one of the best VPN service providers in Sri Lanka.
- Allows up to 10 devices to connect to the same VPN account simultaneously
- Offers 40,000+ shared IP addresses
- Unlimited server switching
- Supports anonymous torrenting
- Only offers a 7-day money-back guarantee
Ivacy is a cost-effective VPN solution that offers impressive features at affordable costs. Based in Singapore, Ivacy prioritizes the right of all individuals to maintain their privacy. As such, it is driven by the principle of zero-logging policy.
The server network of Ivacy has presence in more than 100 locations around the world. The 450+ servers of Ivacy allow users to circumvent blocked websites and gain access to their favorite online content.
Therefore, if you wish to be using VPN in Sri Lanka, Ivacy is the cheapest option available with superb performance and features.
- Split tunneling feature
- DNS leak protection
- Delivers unlimited bandwidth
- Supports advanced AES-256 encryption
- Does not offer a free trial feature
Best Free VPN for Sri Lanka
In the rapidly growing VPN market, several providers have launched free versions for their VPN software. Although free VPNs seem alluring at first, users should take extra precautions before they select a free VPN for Sri Lanka.
This is because some free VPN providers have poor privacy policies and pay no regard to the right to privacy of users. Therefore, it is extremely important to choose a trusted VPN provider if you are taking the free route. Following are some of the most reliable free VPNs in the market:
- SecurityKISS – Obtaining complete anonymity is almost impossible in the cyberspace these days. However, SecurityKISS values the right of people to use the Internet anonymously. This is because the free version of SecurityKISS can be downloaded without the user having to share their information by signing up. The downside of SecurityKISS is that it comes with a 300MB/day bandwidth limit.
Why Do I Need a VPN for Sri Lanka?
Freedom of press is an issue that prevents Sri Lankans from freely expressing their thoughts both on and off the Internet. The government blocks some news websites on the basis of disagreement with the content that is posted on these sites.
Content related to religious matters also undergoes considerable scrutiny, as the government exercises its authority to respect the religious sensibilities of people. The social media has also been targeted by the government recently, following clashes between Muslim and Buddhist populations.
As a result, the government has been increasing its grip on online censorship, compelling people to use VPN for Sri Lanka.
If you are traveling to Beijing, then you should read our blog on the best VPN for Beijing in 2018.
Best Sri Lanka VPN Service for Bypassing Social Media
Social media bans in Sri Lanka is are one of the major factors leading more and more people to deploy a VPN. However, many users jump the gun and go for a free VPN for Sri Lanka rather than purchasing a premium VPN service.
Although free VPNs seem attractive at first, but they can be deceiving in actuality. For instance, some free VPN services usually keep logs of user data and sell these data to other parties. As such, user privacy and security is greatly threatened by such offers.
This is why users should go for a premium VPN provider, keeping in mind the following factors:
- Server locations: The VPN should have a large list of servers available. This allows users with much greater access to the Internet, since they can switch IP address to any location they like to break restrictive barriers.
- Encryption strength: A safe and secure connection is essential to prevent threats such as hackers stealing your credit card and other sensitive information. Make sure that your premium Sri Lanka VPN uses only the most advanced encryption standards such as OpenVPN.
- Unlimited bandwidth: A VPN can quickly become useless if it places a bandwidth limit which you have run out of. It is important for you to receive unlimited bandwidth, especially if you are using a VPN to access streaming services.
How to Select a Sri Lanka VPN Service
As described above, choosing a good VPN service is not really a rocket science. You only need to make sure that the VPN provider offers certain features in order to consider it a worthwhile option. The list of best VPN for Sri Lanka displayed above was prepared on the basis of a few key criteria.
Therefore, you cannot go wrong by choosing any one of the above VPN for Sri Lanka, since they all offer excellent security with powerful geo-blocking capabilities.
How to Set Up a VPN for Sri Lanka
It only takes a series of few simple steps to set up a VPN. Follow the steps below to install a VPN on your device:
- Pick one VPN provider from our list of best VPN for Sri Lanka above.
- Choose a suitable subscription plan according to your needs.
- Download and install the VPN app on you device
- Launch the VPN service and choose a server located in your preferred country
- Enjoy uninhibited access to sites and services
How to Avoid Restrictions through a Sri Lanka VPN
A VPN service fundamentally works by virtually switching your IP address and making it seem as if it originates from another part of the world. Using one of the various servers of your chosen VPN provider, you can change gain access to all content that available from that location.
In this way, users can hide their online identity by masking their real IP address. Therefore, if you find yourself unable to access some site due to geo-restrictions, you can connect a VPN to a server where said site is accessible. Thus, the most secure method of breaking through restricted content is to use a VPN for Sri Lanka.
Sri Lankan authorities are tightening regulation over the kind of online content posted on social media and news sites. As such, the accessibility of sites over the Internet has suffered a blow in the country. This naturally promotes the importance of using a strong VPN for Sri Lanka and eliminate online barriers.
Did you find this article helpful? Feel free to share your thoughts and feedback in the comments section below.