Kodi enhances your streaming experience like no other. It streams Live TV, Movies, Kids Shows, and a world of content. You can further enhance your Kodi experience by getting yourself a Virtual Private Network.
In this guide, I have listed the best VPN for Kodi 2020 that keeps your data private while streaming and unblocks geo-restricted add-ons. Our recommendation is based on these 11 factors and is tested by using Exodus Redux add-on.
9 Best VPN for Kodi (Updated January 2020)
Here is our list of the best VPNs you can use with Kodi devices in 2020:
- PureVPN – Our top choice that offers a dedicated Kodi add-on having the most affordable price at $1.99/month (Exclusive Deal). It has powerful encryption, no-logging policy, and a total of 2,000 servers in 140+ countries.
- Surfshark – Fastest VPN service for Kodi with exceptional speed having 1,040+ servers and unlimited multi-logins with a single account.
- Ivacy – Available for all major platforms/devices and has a dedicated Kodi VPN addon with a kill switch feature.
- ExpressVPN – Best for streaming Kodi content in HD quality. It has 3,000 super-secure servers and prevents Kodi from buffering.
- CyberGhost – Super-reliable and protects online identity with military-grade encryption with a 45-days refund policy.
- NordVPN – It was the most secure VPN until one of its servers was hacked in Finland.
- VyprVPN – Mobile-Friendly VPN service with 5 multi-logins and 700+ in 70 countries.
- IPVanish – Best for watching Kodi Live TV channels that are geo-restricted from anywhere in the world.
- PrivateVPN – Popular growing service that keeps you completely anonymous when streaming.
1. PureVPN – Dedicated Kodi VPN Addon
Server: 2,000 | Countries: 140+ | Multi-Logins: 5 | Encryption: 256-bit | TrustPilot Score: 4.8 | Price: $1.99/mo (82% off EXCLUSIVE DEAL)
PureVPN is our top recommendation to stream privately on Kodi, Android devices, and most notably on Fire TV Stick. It has its own dedicated Kodi add-on which most VPN services do not offer.
It is based in Hong Kong, which does not fall under 5, 9, or 14-eyes countries and does not happen to keep logs. PureVPN price is super affordable available at $1.99/mo (82% discounted special deal) which makes it one of the best cheap VPN for Kodi in the market. The service also offers a top-of-the-line military-grade encryption i.e. 256-bit.
It is one of few providers that have Kodi VPN addon that is installed directly on your Kodi app.
Not only does it supports Kodi but multiple platforms such as Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Routers, PS4, Raspberry, etc.
PureVPN speed is good so you won’t have problems with Kodi buffering issues anymore. Having over 2,000+ servers in 140+ countries, PureVPN is definitely the best choice. If you like this VPN, you can view PureVPN Kodi installation process.
Install PureVPN on Kodi in 3 Easy Steps
A simple way to install PureVPN on your Kodi box is by following these 3 steps.
Step 1: Subscribe to PureVPN
Step 2: Download and Install PureVPN app from Here
Step 3: Open PureVPN app and press the connect icon. You will be connected to a fast VPN server and you will stay protected on Kodi
2. Surfshark – Fastest VPN Service for Kodi
Server: 1,040+ | Countries: 60+ | Multi-Logins: Unlimited | Encryption: AES-256-GCM | TrustPilot Score: 4.3| Price: $1.99/mo
Surfshark is the fastest VPN app that you can use on Kodi. It uses industry-standard encryption so people do not doubt if they are cutting the cost on security. But what’s more interesting is the fact that one VPN account is used for unlimited devices.
It is based in British Virgin Islands same as ExpressVPN and is the best VPN country for Kodi. Why? Because it does not fall under 14-eyes intelligence-sharing countries nor does it keep logs.
Surfshark has AES-256-GCM encryption, a more secure cipher with stronger encryption and is available for all devices such as Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Smart TV, & Fire TV/FireStick.
The price is the deciding factor. It is the most affordable of all VPNs available at $1.99/mo . With 1040+ servers in 60+ countries and having good server speed, you can check out Surfshark Kodi installation guide.
3. Ivacy – Available for All Major Devices
Server: 1,000 | Countries: 100+ | Multi-Logins: 5 | Encryption: 256-bit | TrustPilot Score: 4.8 | Price: $2.25/mo
Ivacy is a good choice as the best VPN for Kodi because it is available for all platforms, devices, and major operating systems. It is also available for Fire TV and FireStick and is easily downloaded on those devices.
Ivacy has a dedicated add-on similar to PureVPN and uses the strongest encryption i.e. military-grade 256-bit. It has 1,000+ servers in 100+ locations.
4. ExpressVPN – Private Streaming on Kodi
Server: 3,000 | Countries: 94 | Multi-Logins: 5| Encryption: 256-bit | TrustPilot Score: 4.7 | Price $8.32/mo
ExpressVPN is a great choice for Kodi users when it comes to HD streaming. There’s only one fear Kodi user face and that is buffering issues. ExpressVPN helps in avoiding every possible streaming issues.
It is located in British Virgin Islands, which is not the part of 14 Eyes intelligence-sharing countries and it doesn’t keep any kind of logs. It uses 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (Strong security) and supports all Kodi devices (Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Nvidia Shield, Xbox, Roku, etc).
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ global servers in 94 countries. The price is a bit expensive at $8.32/mo but since it is the most reliable VPN for Kodi, the rest doesn’t matter.
Moreover, due to its massive amount of servers, it’s one of the best VPN for streaming.
It does not have a dedicated Kodi add-on, but is available under OpenVPN for Kodi under Zomboided Repo. If this VPN sees fit for you, check out ExpressVPN Kodi installation guide.
5. CyberGhost – Super Reliable & Easy-to-use
Server: 5,500+ | Countries: 80+| Multi-Logins: 7 | Encryption: 256-bit military-grade | TrustPilot Score: 4.7 | Price: $2.75/mo
Cyber Ghost Kodi makes you completely anonymous over the internet with its military-grade encryption. If you’re streaming on Kodi, it makes sure that all of your traffic is hidden.
It is based in Romania, which is a safe country in terms of online data retention and most importantly it doesn’t keep logs but only stores session duration and DNS queries.
CyberGhost’s price is also cheap and is available for $2.75/mo . The speed is good enough to stream Kodi content without buffering.
It is also regarded as the best VPN service for Kodi because of its reliability and ease of use. The total number of servers are 3,787 in 61 countries and supports Windows, Android, Mac, Fire TV, iOS, and Linux. If this VPN is the one you like, check out CyberGhost Kodi installation guide.
6. NordVPN – Most Secure VPN for Kodi
Server: 5,627 | Countries: 60 | Multi-Logins: 6 | Encryption: 256-bit Double Encryption| TrustPilot Score: 2.4 | Price: $3.49/mo
NordVPN has the most powerful encryption in all of the VPN services. With its double encryption, all of your online traffic that is routed through Kodi remains encrypted.
It is based in Panama, which does not fall under 14-eyes countries. It does not store usage logs and keep users’ aware against subpoenas by mentioning Warrant Canary on its website.
NordVPN’s price is something that people admire. It is available at $3.49/mo which seems affordable and supports Android/Android TV, Windows, MasOS, iOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Blackberry, etc.
The number of servers for NordVPN are the highest ranging at 5,600 servers in 60 countries. Its speed is something on the average side, but that’s the only downside of this VPN service. If you happen to like this VPNs testing results, then view NordVPN Kodi installation process.
7. VyprVPN – Mobile-Friendly VPN service
Server: 700 | Countries: 70+ | Multi-Logins: 5 | Encryption: 256-bit | TrustPilot Score: 3.2 | Price: $2.50
VyprVPN has the most simplest of mobile apps interface that even a novice VPN user can use it with ease. Simply connect VyprVPN and stream Kodi in the background.
It is based in Switzerland, which is considered as a co-operative country but doesn’t fall under 14 eyes nation. Previously, it used to keep logs for 30 days, but has entirely changed its logging policy and does not keep logs.
VyprVPN has over 700 servers in 70+ countries across 6 continents and you can get at a price of $2.50/mo. It supports major platforms i.e. Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, QNAP, Anonabox, etc.
With its top-level encryption i.e 256-bit it offers a decent speed.
8. IPVanish – Unblocks Kodi TV Channels
Server: 1,300+ | Countries: 75+ locations | Multi-Logins: 10 | Encryption: 256-bit | TrustPilot Score: 4.8 | Price: $3.25
IPVanish is also our recommended choice when it comes to streaming on Kodi. The Kodi app presents a number of Live TV channels that are geo-restricted. Connect to IPVanish and avoid geographical restrictions.
IPVanish is a bit expensive available at $3.25/mo but it works on all major OS including Routers and Linux. It has 1,300+ servers in 75+ locations.
9. PrivateVPN – Fastest Growing VPN
Server: 100+ | Countries: 60 | Multi-Logins: 6 | Encryption: AES 256-bit | TrustPilot Score: 4.7 | Price: $2.55
PrivateVPN has gained tons of popularity in the VPN industry. It is not in the list just because of its popularity, but because it has the highest level encryption and is user-friendly.
It is based in Sweden, a member of 14-eyes intelligence sharing countries but it never keep any logs. It uses the highest level of encryption, even used by government and military.
The number of servers are pretty small i.e. 100+ servers in 60 countries, but offers good speed while streaming.
It costs around $2.55/mo for it 24-months plan and supports all major platforms.
Our 11-Step Process to Review the Best VPNs for Kodi
By now, you’re all aware of how important it is to get a VPN that keeps your online privacy protected, but choosing one is also a complex process.
That’s because, many VPNs despite telling users that they don’t keep activity logs would track your online activity, while others would be incompatible with your Kodi device or offer poor streaming experience.
Looking at our list of good VPNs for 2020, you will surely find a VPN that works on any device and serves every purpose of streaming.
For our readers’ ease, we have tested and reviewed only those VPNs for Kodi that does not keep logs. Only 9 VPNs passed our test. Factors for testing criteria are listed below:
- Jurisdiction (5,9,14 Eyes country)
- VPN Logs (Detailed Logging Policy for each VPN)
- Support for Kodi devices
- Speed test
- Dedicated addon/ OpenVPN addon
- Number of servers
- Transparency Report (Find which VPN is Transparent)
- IP Leaks (Find which VPN provider leaks your IP)
- Trustpilot Rating
Our factors will determine the success or failure of a VPN to use it on Kodi. This will help you choose the best Kodi VPN.
But first, let’s look at the video guide where I have discussed 5 Best VPNs for Kodi that runs well with streaming videos on Kodi.
Why do you need the Best VPN for Kodi?
There are many reasons why you need a VPN with Kodi, amongst few of them I have discussed earlier.
A VPN does the following:
- A VPN hides your online traffic
- Keeps your online privacy protected
- Unblocks geo-restricted Kodi content
- Prevents Kodi buffering
The most important need of a Kodi best VPN is to hide your online activity against Internet Service Providers. If you do not, and continue streaming videos on Kodi, you could face following consequences:
- Massive fines for illegal downloading of content
- Serving a jail term of at least 5 years (the US and UK Jail Penalty)
- Blocking access to certain websites, streaming services, and Kodi add-ons
- Legal notices or lawsuits can be filed for copyright violation
The decision entirely rests upon you!
If you already have a VPN but it’s giving you problems, check out this VPN troubleshooting guide.
Benefits of using VPN with Kodi
It is always recommended to use the best VPN when viewing free videos on the internet. Here are some of the benefits of using a VPN for Kodi:
Encrypt and Anonymize your Online Activity
You don’t want anyone seeing your online activity, definitely not law enforcement. Therefore, a VPN will hide your online activity and your entire internet traffic from hackers, ISPs, and the government.
No one can spy on your online activity when they can’t see you online at all and that is why you need installing a VPN.
Access Blocked Kodi Addons
TV Channels under Live TV Kodi add-ons are sometimes geo-restricted. Meaning, you can’t access the UK Channel on Kodi if you’re living in the US.
A VPN will serve to change your US IP address into UK IP address. Thus, you can access UK Sports channels and Live TV Channels all you want.
Stay Safe Online
When it comes to staying safe online, a good VPN for Kodi is a handy option. Streaming Kodi can sometimes be dangerous. How? You install Kodi add-ons every time without knowing that these add-ons might contain malware and spyware.
The only disadvantage comes with installing third-party add-ons is that they can’t be trusted, and Kodi takes no responsibility. You can trust them until you have a VPN that protects your device from security & privacy risks.
How to Stream Geo-Blocked Add-ons using VPN
Mostly Live TV and Live Sport pose problems while streaming on Kodi. This is why because the channel you’re trying to access is geographically restricted. It does not have the right to show the channel in your country region, to be specific.
What do you do? You get the best VPN for streaming Kodi as I have already mentioned my recommended choice in the table above. Simply run a VPN in the background and re-try connecting to the geo-restricted channel. It will work!
Or, it might be because you’re using the old version of Kodi. Get the latest version by knowing how to update Kodi.
How to Setup Kodi VPN
Before we begin installing a VPN on Kodi, you must know how to setup Kodi app on various devices.
Kodi is available on following devices:
- Windows – Go to Windows Kodi download page or Windows Store
- Android – Go to Google Play Store or Download APK
- MacOS – Visit MacOS Kodi download page
- Linux – Visit Linux Kodi download page
- Amazon FireStick – Visit our guide to install the latest Kodi 18.1 on FireStick
Once you have installed Kodi, now you can begin installing a VPN.
How to Install VPN on Kodi (Setup Guides)
Setting up a best VPN to Kodi on different platforms can be a difficult task, you might need some help for setting up a VPN. Therefore, we have provided a detailed guide for setting up Kodi for every platform.
How to Install VPN on Kodi (OpenELEC Raspberry Pi)
PureVPN offers an exclusive OpenVPN addon that you can directly install on your device. Just follow these steps to configure VPN on Kodi.
- Go to Kodi Website
- Head over to Download menu and Install
- On your Raspberry Pi, open browser
- Paste this URL: https://s3.amazonaws.com/purevpn-dialer-assets/kodi/app/service.purevpn.monitor-1.8.0.zip
- Press Enter
- PureVPN file will download automatically
- Once downloaded, place the file purevpn.monitor-1.3.0.zip on a USB drive and plug it on the OpenElec Kodi Box
- Once you launch Kodi, click on Add-ons menu
- Select Box icon at the top
- Choose Install from Zip File
- Navigate to the USB drive and choose purevpn.monitor-1.3.0.zip file
- Installation will now begin
- Once installed, go back to Kodi Home Screen
- Click on Add-ons menu > Select Program Addons
- Tap on PureVPN Monitor OpenVPN > Then Add-on Settings
- Enter PureVPN Username and Password
- Select the country server you wish to connect
- Click Display VPN Status to check whether you are connected to PureVPN server
To change your server, click on Change or Disconnect VPN Connection
How to Install Kodi VPN for Windows
If you haven’t yet downloaded, best do it now. To setup a VPN on Windows you need to follow the steps highlighted below:
- Subscribe to Surfshark or any other best VPN Kodi
- Download and install their VPN app for desktop.
- Enter username and password
- Select a server (outside of US)
- Stream safely on Kodi.
How to Setup Top VPNs for Kodi Android
While ISPs are actively monitoring user browsing activities, VPN makes you anonymous & highly secure over Kodi using its strongest encryption.
Here is a guide to install VPN for Android. Once you have installed, start streaming content on Kodi.
If you haven’t yet installed Kodi on Android, then do it now. There’s a ton of videos waiting for you to stream. But if you’re using it on a FireStick device, then better check out for the Amazon Fire Stick VPN.
How to Setup VPN on Kodi (iOS Devices)
There are multiple ways to setup VPN for iOS. These are:
- Using App Store
- Manual Setup
If you want to specifically configure a VPN on your iPhone device, you better first know the best VPN for iPhone.
Lastly, install if you haven’t installed it yet.
Kodi VPN Setup using OpenVPN Add-on
If you are looking to setup a VPN directly on Kodi through an addon, then check out this setup.
- Download Zomboided Repository onto your system
- Launch Kodi
- Go to Add-ons
- Now click on the ‘Add-on browser’ icon (the package box icon) location at the top left corner
- Select Install from zip file
- Navigate to the location where you downloaded Zomboided Repository zip files
- You will see a notification in the top right corner once the add-on is added
- Now click on Install from repository
- Go to Zomboided Add-on Repository > Services > VPN for OpenVPN
- This will install VPN on Kodi. An Add-on enabled notification will appear
- Now open the add-on (for first-time users, click on OK when a popup appears to configure a VPN)
- Go to Add-on Settings
- Under the VPN Configuration
- Select the VPN Provider you want to setup
- Enter the username and password
- Now go to the VPN Connection tab
- Select First VPN connection (optionally used to auto connect during boot)
- Choose the server you want to connect
- You can add more VPN connections by entering the servers (maximum 10 default servers are allowed)
- Click OK and enjoy VPN connection
How to Use VPN with Kodi Boxes
The easiest way to setup a VPN on your Android Kodi Boxes is to install it via VPN app. All the recent Kodi boxes have Play Store available. Follow the instructions provided below:
- Open Android Kodi Box > From the Main Menu, click on Play Store
- Now search for NordVPN or any other top VPN for Kodi Box
- If it asks for your Google Account, then do Sign In
- Install the Kodi Box VPN
- Once installed, go back to Main Menu > Click on Apps
- Enter Login Details by subscribing to NordVPN from the table above
- Connect to US server
- Now open Kodi app > Start streaming free video content
How to Setup VPN on Router Installation Guide
Setting up a VPN on routers provide a great advantage than configuring the service individually on each device. Once your device is connected to a VPN router, all your devices become safe to use.
By doing so, your entire internet traffic goes through a secure VPN tunnel, helping you conceal your identity and bypass all forms of restrictions when using Kodi.
You can access a complete guide on how to install VPN on router for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions of Kodi Users about VPN
A VPN for Kodi is required to route your Kodi traffic to an encrypted tunnel. This way, everything you stream over Kodi goes through this tunnel that keeps your traffic hidden.
No, Kodi does not have a built-in app. In fact, Kodi discourages the use of VPNs to view its content. It believes that it abuses the right of copyright owners.
After the many tests performed, PureVPN, Surfshark, and Ivacy are the best VPNs for Kodi according to our testing criteria.
To add VPN to Kodi, you can do it in 3 different ways. You can either install an add-on that only a few VPN providers offer. The second way is through installing a VPN Manager for OpenVPN add-on as discussed in the guide above. The third and the easiest way is to turn ON your VPN in the background and start streaming videos on Kodi.
Many Kodi users have been asking this question and the simple answer is yes, Kodi is legal. That said, it’s not as straightforward as you might think. The problem lies in how you use Kodi. Do you happen to use official Kodi add-on which is perfectly legal, or do you use third-party add-ons, which is a bit shady. Learn more about ‘ ‘ in our guide.
VPN is a Virtual Private Network that hides your online activity and unblocks geo-restricted websites. You need a VPN if you do not want your internet activity to be seen by online hackers, ISPs, or the government. It is also used if you encounter websites or apps that are blocked, it unblocks them.
You can easily use Kodi without VPN, as it is not a prerequisite for using the streaming platform. However, it is better that you connect to a VPN to safeguard your privacy and security.
The best VPNs for Kodi that can be used on an Android box is NordVPN. It is easily installed on Android Box and has the largest network of servers i.e. 5,000+ to keep your identity hidden
Kodi VPN 2020 Reviews
Certainly YES, you need a VPN for Kodi when streaming Movies and TV Shows on Kodi addons. It helps you unblock Live TV channels that are geographically restricted.
This is the questions that lingers on every Kodi users’ mind. Even if you do not intend the risks of pirating or torrenting, you will need a VPN to stream iPlayer and similar other channels.
It is obvious for your internet speed to drop a little when you use a VPN with Kodi. I did a speed test for all 9 VPNs I tested and mentioned their speed before and after I connected to a VPN.
The research did indicate a decline in speed while using a VPN with Kodi.
Kodi users often complains that their VPN often does not work with Nvidia Shield TV using the OpenVPN Manager installation process I discussed earlier.
The fact is, not all VPNs work great with OpenVPN Manager and especially not PIA. The list I have mentioned in this guide are the ones that works as the best VPNs on Nvidia Shield as well. Try it now!
I strongly recommend using a Virtual Private Network when it comes to streaming privately and securely or to unblock geo-restricted addons.
A VPN also avoids ISP throttling and prevents your data from spies and hackers. That is why having the best VPN with Kodi is an ultimate choice for Kodi users.