Qatar has one of the toughest and strictest online restrictions and surveillance in the world. Qatar’s ISP, Ooredo, enforces strict online restrictions and has banned several sites, including popular VoIP apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, Omegle, and others.
Moreover, Qatar’s Emir holds all the legislative authority that inhibits internet users from discussing politics on social media websites, or there would be consequences. In fact, Freedom House rates Qatar 25/100 – labeling it as a “Not Free” country.
This is where the best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users comes into play to bypass government censorship in the country. A reliable VPN masks your IP address and encrypts your data to help you safely circumvent internet censorship in Qatar. A VPN with servers in Qatar can also get a Qatar IP address so you can access local banking and streaming services while traveling abroad. This way, you can also keep up with the upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup from anywhere . For all sports enthusiasts, FIFA World Cup is here and we tested the best VPN for soccer FIFA World Cup to ensure you don’t miss any matches.
After testing 150+ VPNs, we bring you the 5 best VPNs for Qatar that offer the best security and unblocking ability.
Quick Overview – The Best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users
Here is a quick overview of some of the best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users in 2023:
- ExpressVPN– The Best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users. Offers an excellent unblocking ability for bypassing geo-restrictions with strong encryption.
- Surfshark– Budget-friendly VPN for Qatar. VPN for Qatar Offers unlimited simultaneous connections for only AU$ 3.44/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) .
- NordVPN – Secure VPN for Qatar. Offers advanced security features like Nordlynx, CyberSec, and Double VPN.
Check out how we have tested the best VPN in Qatar and the relevant FAQs
The Best VPN For Qatar For Australian Users 2023 (In-Depth Analysis)
Despite having multiple VPN options, only a few of them work in Qatar. For this reason, we have tested over 150+ VPNs to find the VPN for Qatar. These VPNs have been tested on various performance criteria like server network, security, speed, geo-blocking, device compatibility, money-back guarantee, and more.
Let’s discuss them in detail:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries, including server locations in Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, and Turkey
- AES-256-bit encryption
- 87.18 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- Can stream locally and globally: Netflix (US & Qatar), Al Jazeera, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Qatar Television,
ESPN+, beIN Sports, Hulu, and more
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users, offering strong security features, unblocking ability, and lightning-fast speeds. It offers 3000+ servers in 94 countries worldwide.
However, there are no servers in Qatar, but it does have servers in the Middle East. ExpressVPN’s offshore servers are more than enough for unblocking and bypassing government-imposed restrictions on the internet and websites like Aljazeera, Alkass, and more.
ExpressVPN works exceptionally well with VoIP apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Telegram, and other social media apps. Its P2P-optimized servers also allow Qatarians to download torrents with ExpressVPN without risking their secuirty.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for streaming and works exceptionally well with platforms like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, BeIN Sports, etc., in Qatar. You can easily unblock these services and gain access to their complete content libraries by switching to the relevant server locations.
Using ExpressVPN Turkey & Middle east servers, we successfully streamed our favorite team playing on BeIN sports in HD quality without buffering. You can also keep yourself up to date with Qatar world cup Schedule 2022 on the BeIN Sports websites.
ExpressVPN speed test recorded a fast download speed of 87.18 Mbps and an upload speed of 52.13 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection. It is perfect for streaming 4k videos without buffering or lags.
The provider is based in the British Virgin Islands, a jurisdiction that allows it to operate freely and far away from the domain of Five Eyes intelligence-sharing countries.
Other than that, ExpressVPN also adds nifty features such as split-tunneling, AES 256-bit encryption, and Network Lock (kill switch). It has recently unveiled its new feature known as a Threat Manager, which protects your device and guards against snoopy apps, trackers, and viruses.
It also offers DNS and IP leak protection that we tested to confirm by connecting to its US server and found no leaks. These features will keep your information from leaking to the web and being exposed in Qatari cyberspace.
ExpressVPN supports five simultaneous connections and is compatible with Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Linux, FireStick, routers, and more. ExpressVPN also offers a Smart DNS feature called MediaStreamer, allowing you to access blocked sites on devices that don’t have VPN service support, like Smart TVs, Apple TVs, and gaming consoles. You can also install ExpressVPN on your FireStick to stream content onto the big screens.
It is available for AU$9.98/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) (Get 49% Off + 3 Months FREE on its 12-Month Plan) and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so that you can test the service risk-free in Qatar.
For more information, see this ExpressVPN review.
- Unblocks the most popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Disney+
- Bypass geo-restrictions on VOIP apps.
- Does not collect user’s personal information
- Fast and reliable connection speeds
- Slightly costlier than other providers
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for Qatar
- 3200+ servers in 100 countries (doesn’t offer servers in Qatar)
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- 81.32 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- Can stream: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, BeIN Sports, ESPN+, HBO Max, Hulu, Al-Jazeera, QTV, and more
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Surfshark is the most budget-friendly VPN for Qatar that comes at a super-affordable price of AU$3.44/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan). That’s not it, you also get support for unlimited device connections on a single account.
Surfshark offers 3200+ servers across 100 countries. It does not offer servers in Qatar, but there are servers in Middle Eastern countries like UAE to help you change your IP address to UAE.
However, its offshore servers are capable of helping you unblock restricted sites in Qatar. Apart from unblocking VoIP apps, Surfshark can also give you access to geo-restricted streaming sites in Qatar like HBO, Hulu, Netflix, DC Universe, The CW, and more.
To watch news related to Qatar World Cup stadiums and games, we connected to Surfshark Saudi Arabia servers. Within seconds we were able to stream live news on Al Kass TV without lag issues.
During testing, Surfshark speeds delivered a reliable download speed of 81.32 Mbps and an upload speed of 76.12 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. It is more than enough for 4K Netflix streaming as its minimum speed requirement for Ultra HD, or 4K is 25 Mbps.
It uses strong 256-bit encryption and Kill Switch for data protection. You can surf the web anonymously with no trackers, ads, or malware with its CleanWeb feature. It also offers additional features like Bypasser (split tunneling), NoBorders, and MultiHop for boosting your online privacy. For constant online security in Qatar, the NoBorders Mode enables you to use a VPN despite network limitations.
Even though Surfshark operates from the Netherlands (a member of 14 Eyes Alliance), it doesn’t keep any personally identifiable logs of its users. It also offers IP and DNS leak protection.
Surfshark is compatible with a wide range of devices, including Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, routers, and more. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test the service risk-free for 30 days.
Read our Surfshark review for more information.
- Unblock major streaming services, including Qatar Channels
- Unlimited bandwidth
- CleanWeb for secure browsing & streaming in Qatar
- Built specifically for nations with heavy internet restrictions
- 24/7 live chat service
- Some servers take time to connect
3. NordVPN – Secure VPN for Qatar
- 5500+ servers in 60 countries (doesn’t offer servers in Qatar but has a UAE server)
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- 83.82 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- Can stream: BeIN Sports, AlkassTV, Disney+, OSN, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, and more
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for Qatar, offering some of the industry’s-best safety tools for privacy, security, and data protection in Qatar. Some of its notable security features include Double VPN, CyberSec, Onion Over VPN, and Obfuscated servers.
Additionally, it also offers features like NordVPN’s kill switch, Dark Web Monitor, Multi-factor authentication, and a strict no-logs policy to solidify your privacy online.
NordVPN offers a huge network of 5500+ servers in 60 countries. Although you will not find any NordVPN Qatar servers, you can connect to its UAE servers, which are nearest to Qatar.
The core strength of NordVPN is its unblocking ability for streaming websites. You can easily unblock US Netflix with NordVPN, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. You can access the entire content library of these streaming services from Qatar with NordVPN’s international servers.
We connected to NordVPN servers in Turkey to watch Qatar-based channels like BeIN Sports to discover where our favourite team was in the Qatar World Cup groupings.
NordVPN speed test also managed a fast download speed of 83.82 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.64 Mbps when we connected to its US servers to watch Netflix. It is more than enough for data-intensive tasks like streaming, gaming, and downloading large files.
In addition to the above-mentioned security features, NordVPN changes your IP and ensures no data leaks during streaming and browsing. Its P2P-optimized servers ensure safe torrenting with NordVPN in Qatar.
Furthermore, NordVPN adheres to a zero-logging policy and is based in the safe Jurisdiction of Panama, so you can rest assured that none of your important information will be stored by the provider.
With a single NordVPN subscription, you can connect to 6 different devices simultaneously. Additionally, it offers a Meshnet feature and provides secure apps for devices including Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and Linux. We had no issues when installing NordVPN on Firestick, Kodi, Roku, and other streaming devices.
NordVPN comes at a price of AU$5.97/mo (US$ 3.99/mo) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan) with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Mobile users are also entitled to a 7-day free trial of NordVPN so they can gauge its services before committing to its long-term plan.
For more information, read our NordVPN review.
- Smooth streaming and fast downloading in Qatar
- Unblocks US, UK, and other Netflix libraries in Qatar
- Strong encryption for secure browsing in and outside Qatar
- strict no-logging policy
- 24/7 live chat is available.
- Cannot specify which city you are connected to
Testing Methodology: How we tested the best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users
Because of strict online laws in the country, not every VPN works in Qatar. We have tested 150+ VPNs to bring you the best for your privacy needs in Qatar.
We tested the VPNs on the following criteria to find the best VPNs for Qatar For Australian Users:
- Encryption: All the VPNs mentioned above offer strong AES 256-bit encryption for data protection to ensure your online activity remains secure in Qatar.
- Advanced security features: The VPNs listed above offer a kill switch, so your internet activity remains hidden in case of sudden connection drops. They also offer IP and DNS leak protection.
- Speed: If you want to have a bufferless streaming experience, it is important that the VPN offers fast speeds, and it should not decrease your speeds by more than 30%.
- Servers: The best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users should offer a large server network across the world so you can unblock content in Qatar easily. Our 6 recommended VPNs offer thousands of servers worldwide.
- Obfuscation: Although using a VPN isn’t officially prohibited in Qatar, doing so could nevertheless cause suspicion. A VPN feature called obfuscation masks VPN traffic as standard HTTPS. This makes it far more difficult for ISPs to identify customers who may be using a VPN to hide their internet activities.
- Money-back guarantee: The VPNs we chose for Qatar offer a 30-day money-back guarantee so that you can give it a test risk-free. CyberGhost offers the most extensive money-back guarantee, i.e., 45 days.
FAQs – Best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users
Let’s look at some of the most frequently asked questions regarding VPNs in Qatar.
Is VPN in Qatar legal?
Yes, using a VPN is legal in Qatar, doing so could nevertheless cause suspicion. There is a VPN feature called obfuscation that masks VPN communication as standard HTTPS. This makes it far more difficult for ISPs to identify individuals who may be using a VPN to hide their internet activities in Qatar.
Does ExpressVPN work in Qatar?
Yes, ExpressVPN does work in Qatar. It is our best VPN Qatar recommendation that offers thousands of servers spread over 94 locations. Unfortunately, ExpressVPN does not have servers in Qatar, but it provides trustworthy coverage throughout the Middle East and internationally. You can use its servers to access blocked sites and services in Qatar, like WhatsApp, Skype, Netflix, and more.
Can I use WhatsApp in Qatar with a VPN?
Yes, a VPN is an ideal choice for using VoIP services like Whatsapp while you are in Qatar because long-distance calls are incredibly expensive in Middle Eastern countries. To use Skype, WhatsApp, and FaceTime and call your loved ones online, connect to a VPN server location where WhatsApp is available, like in the US. This way, you can unblock WhatsApp calling in Qatar.
What websites I can go on with VPN in Qatar?
Here is a list of websites that you can access using a VPN in Qatar:
- Netflix (US, UK, Germany, and many other libraries)
- Amazon Prime
- HBO Max
- BeIN Sports
Netflix plans Qatar offers 3 subscription plans. Starting from the basic plan at 30QR (USD 7.99) with 1 device. Standard Plan at 37QR (USD 9.99) with 2 screens, and the Premium Plan at 44QR for UltraHD content as well as 4 screens simultaneously.
Which VPN has Qatar servers?
CyberGhost has 14 dedicated servers in Doha, Qatar, for streaming geo-blocked local content from abroad.
Qatar’s government has done a lot to increase internet penetration in the country, but it greatly lacks when it comes to internet freedom and freedom of speech. The government still blocks many popular websites. The press also remains particularly suppressed, owing to the strict cyber laws in the country.
For these reasons, using the best VPN for Qatar For Australian Users, such as ExpressVPN, has become extremely important in 2023. This VPN also offers robust security features and a true zero-log policy to ensure security and anonymity online in Qatar.
ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 12 months + 3 months free offer so you can test the service risk-free in Qatar.