Netflix is available almost in every region of the world, making it the best streaming service with the most extensive reach. However, while Malaysian Netflix’s library offers various Netflix Originals and international content itself, it still cannot compete with Netflix US that offers 1157 TV shows and 4593 movies.
There are multiple movies and TV shows that are strictly accessible only to the US audience. For example, you cannot watch popular American shows like Dexter, Criminal Minds, Gossip Girl, and The Tudors on Malaysian Netflix.
This guide will show you how to get American Netflix in Malaysia in 5 easy steps.
3 Best VPNs to get American Netflix in Malaysia in 2021 (In-depth Analysis)
We tested 40+ VPNs based on their server speeds, amount of US servers, and unblocking capabilities, and only 3 lived up to our criteria. Following are the best VPNs to get American Netflix in Malaysia:
1. The Best VPN to get American Netflix in Malaysia – ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to get American Netflix in Malaysia. This VPN makes unblocking Netflix US easy with servers that can bypass Netflix’s VPN detection technology. You can easily switch to the American region using any of ExpressVPN’s 23+ US servers.
Along with geo-block bypassing technology, ExpressVPN offers Ultra HD streaming for American Netflix in Malaysia. Its speeds are exceptional. ExpressVPN offers an average speed of 79 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. If you don’t believe us, then you can confirm this through our ExpressVPN speed test.
We tested its US servers to check out their speeds, and here are its top 3 recommended US servers along with their speeds:
|ExpressVPN Recommended US Servers||Speed Result|
|San Francisco||78.1 Mbps|
|New York||79.6 Mbps|
Along with great speeds, this VPN also offers user-friendly apps for all popular devices, including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Roku, Kodi, Smart TV, PS4, etc., to enjoy American Netflix in Malaysia.
While its US servers can easily let you unblock American Netflix, you can also use them to access other US-based streaming services like HBO Max, NBC, PeacockTV, YouTube TV, and Hulu in Malaysia.
In the same way, using its worldwide servers will allow you to enjoy BBC iPlayer, Voot, Disney+ Hotstar, Channel 4, CraveTV, etc., in the country anytime you like.
While this VPN offers top-notch security features, including a kill switch, DNS leak protection, split tunnelling, and AES 256-bit encryption, a feature that stands out amongst all is ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature that will let you access American Netflix content at high speed.
Last but not least, this VPN offers all its fantastic features at a price of $6.67/mo annually along with a 3-month free subscription. If you don’t like the service, which we highly doubt will happen, you can always cancel your ExpressVPN subscription easily.
Learn more about this service in our ExpressVPN review.
2. Budget-friendly VPN to get American Netflix in Malaysia – Surfshark
Surfshark is one budget-friendly option to get American Netflix in Malaysia. The provider is known for its excellent ability to unblock American Netflix without being blocked by Netflix’s VPN detection mechanism. You can use any of its 500+ US servers to enjoy American Netflix in Malaysia.
In our testing, Surfshark allowed bypassing restricted Netflix content in a single attempt after connecting to one of its many US servers and continued streaming in HD with no buffering at all.
In terms of speed, Surfshark managed to offer 70 Mbps average speeds on a 100 Mbps connection. So while it’s not as good as ExpressVPN, it is more than enough for high-quality Netflix streaming.
We tested this VPN’s US servers to figure out which ones genuinely unblock American Netflix. Here are the top 3 ones along with their speeds:
|Recommended Servers||Speed Result|
|San Francisco||78.1 Mbps|
|New York||79.6 Mbps|
With reliable speeds, Surfshark also offers easy-to-use apps for all popular devices, including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Fire Stick, Smart TVs, Kodi, Roku, and more.
You can also use this VPN’s American servers to enjoy other US streaming services, like NBC, YouTube TV, DirecTV, ESPN+, PeacockTV, HBO Max, etc. Similarly, Surfshark’s worldwide servers can be used to enjoy BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, CraveTV, Disney+ Hotstar, and Voot.
Some of this VPN’s notable features include AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, WebRTC leak protection, CleanWeb, Whitelister, and MultiHop.
With Surfshark, you can share Netflix US with your friends and family because it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Moreover, all these amazing features come at an amazingly affordable price of $2.49/mo along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more about this service in our Surfshark review.
3. The Fastest VPN to get American Netflix in Malaysia – NordVPN
NordVPN is the fastest VPN to unblock American Netflix in Malaysia. This VPN bypasses Netflix’s geo-restrictions like magic and lets users enjoy its American library in Malaysia using its super-speedy 1970+ US servers.
NordVPN offers HD content, and the buffering issues become non-existent while streaming American Netflix in Malaysia with this VPN.
As far as speeds are concerned, NordVPN offers an average speed of 82 Mbps on a 100 Mbps internet connection. We tested this VPN’s US servers, and here are the top 3 recommended ones along with their speeds:
|Recommended Servers||Speed Result|
|New York||80.1 Mbps|
This VPN can be installed on multiple devices, including iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Fire Stick, Smart TVs, and more. Let’s not forget that this VPN too can be used to unblock multiple US streaming services like Hulu, NBC, and ESPN+. It can also be used to enjoy other streaming services using its 5200+ servers like BBC iPlayer, Kayo Sports, CraveTV, and more.
NordVPN bypasses Netflix VPN detection with its obfuscated servers and offers security features like a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
You can get this VPN at an amazing price of $3.30/mo along with 6 multi-logins and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more about this service in our NordVPN review.
Things to consider while choosing a VPN for American Netflix in Malaysia
We set up criteria and tested 40+ VPNs over it for the best VPNs in Malaysia. The following aspects were taken into consideration in this criteria:
- Unblocks Netflix US and other streaming services in Malaysia like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Comedy Central, and more.
- Offers multiple servers in the US.
- Offers fast connection speeds for HD quality and bufferless streaming.
- Follows a strict no-logs policy.
- Offers multiple security features like a kill switch, no-logging, and DNS leak protection.
- Supports multiple simultaneous connections.
- It offers a money-back guarantee to test the capability of the VPN risk-free.
- Offers 24/7 customer support.
Still having issues accessing American Netflix in Malaysia?
If you are using one of the recommended VPNs, but are still facing issues accessing American Netflix, try these troubleshooting tips to fix the problem:
- Clear browser cookies and cache. You can also clear your browsing history as well.
- Log out of Google accounts on your device because Google caches IP addresses and can reveal your real geo-location to Netflix.
- Disable IPv6 (this is mainly for Windows 10 devices, as it might cause issues on other OS).
- Disable all location-based services and GPS on your device.
- Flush your DNS. To do that, type this in Command Prompt: ipconfig /flushdns.
- Then, disconnect from the VPN server and connect again to get a different IP address.
- Contact VPN customer support to ask them which Netflix does not block servers.
How to unblock American Netflix in Malaysia on Devices
Here’s how you can unblock American Netflix on multiple devices:
How to get American Netflix in Malaysia on iOS
- Get yourself a premium VPN like ExpressVPN (Offers 23+ servers in 14 US cities).
- Install the VPN app for your iOS device, be it iPhone or iPad, and log in.
- Connect to a US server (New York server works the best).
- Once you’re all connected, visit its website or use Netflix’s app and enjoy American Netflix in Malaysia.
How to get American Netflix on Mac in Malaysia
- Purchase a VPN subscription from a reliable provider (We highly recommend ExpressVPN – it offers 23+ US servers).
- Download ExpressVPN or any other VPN on your Mac and log in using your credentials.
- Connect to a US server from the server list (New York server works the best).
- Finally, visit Netflix’s website and enjoy all the content from the US library.
How to get American Netflix in Malaysia on Fire Stick
- Purchase a VPN subscription from a reliable provider such as ExpressVPN. You can use your PC, phone, or laptop to purchase a subscription.
- Power on your Fire Stick and lookup ExpressVPN’s app using the search bar.
- Once you can see the app, install it on Fire Stick and log in using your credentials.
- Once downloaded, connect to a US server (New York servers offer the best speeds).
- Launch the Netflix app on your Fire Stick after connecting and enjoying all the geo-restricted content before in Malaysia.
How to get American Netflix in Malaysia on Xbox
You will require a SmartDNS to watch American Netflix in Malaysia on Xbox as this device doesn’t support VPNs directly. However, instead of a SmartDNS, you can always go for ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature, completely free of cost.
Here are the steps to get you started:
- Purchase a VPN subscription from a reliable provider (ExpressVPN is our top pick).
- Install ExpressVPN or any other VPN app on your PC.
- Next, visit ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS Settings page and sign in to get started.
- After that, locate the IP address registration option > press Register my IP address.
- Next, turn on the ‘Automatically register my IP address’ option.
- You will get your MediaStreamer IP address on ExpressVPN’s Settings page.
- Moving forward, register your hostname on ExpressVPN.
- Once that is done, you can set up MediaStreamer on your Xbox in just a few more steps.
- Open up the ‘Settings’ menu of your Xbox One after powering it on.
- From the settings, visit Language & Location. After that, alter your location to the US and change the language to English.
- After that, open up Advanced Settings. Then, click on DNS Settings > Manual.
- Now, enter the MediaStreamer IP Address in the provided field and click ‘B’ on your remote to save the settings and changes.
- Once you’re done, visit Netflix’s website and watch all content available exclusively in the US library on Xbox.
How to get American Netflix in Malaysia on PS4
- First things first, set up a VPN on your router and connect to a US server.
- After that, download and install Netflix’s app on your PS4 console.
- Access the option that says ‘TV & Video’ and click on Netflix.
- Click yes using your controller when you see the download option.
- Once downloaded, visit the ‘TV & Video’ option again and select Netflix.
- Finally, sign in to Netflix using your VPN credentials and enjoy watching American Netflix content on your PS4.
How to get Netflix USA in Malaysia on Smart TV
To get Netflix US in Malaysia on a Smart TV, you’ll need to install a VPN on your router. Once the router setup is done, you can follow the steps below to get Netflix US on Smart TV in Malaysia:
- After configuring a VPN on your preferred router, power your Smart TV (it doesn’t matter which brand).
- Connect your Smart TV to the VPN-enabled Wi-Fi connection. Then, just cross-check that the server location you configured on your router is set to the US.
- Next, visit Netflix’s website or open the Netflix app and sign in.
- Finally, you will now be able to see American Netflix’s library on your screen. You can now watch any content of your choice on your Smart TV in Malaysia.
Can I use a free VPN to get Netflix US in Malaysia?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to access American Netflix in Malaysia, but we do not recommend you to do so. First of all, free VPNs can barely bypass Netflix’s VPN detection technology and get blocked immediately, even on their US servers.
This is because these VPNs offer only a few servers that too many people in one go are using. Therefore, due to traffic overload from the same IP, Netflix detects it as an IP offered by a VPN and blocks it.
Free VPNs also do not provide any security to users. In fact, they log user data and sell it to third-party advertisers themselves.
Let’s not forget that free VPNs also come with a data cap that barely lets users stream freely for more than a few hours. Therefore, it’s better to stick with paid, premium VPNs like ExpressVPN to access American Netflix in Malaysia securely.
Netflix US vs. Netflix Malaysia
You know Netflix US is the largest library in the world with over 5,750 titles available. The Netflix Malaysia library only has around 683 titles, only 15.04% of the US TV shows. So as you can tell, Malaysian Netflix users are missing out on great content.
Here’s how great the difference between the US and Malaysia Netflix is in numbers:
|Netflix US||4593 movies||1157 TV shows||$8.99/mo|
|Netflix Malaysia||509 movies||174 TV shows||RM 35/mo|
(Updated August 2021)
Similarly, if you look at the price, you can see that Netflix US is a little more expensive than Netflix Malaysia. For example, if you convert RM 35 to USD, you get 8.31/mo USD. Therefore, you have to pay $8.31/mo for Netflix’s basic package in Malaysia.
You can use this basic package to get American Netflix in Malaysia by simply using a VPN and connecting to a US server. Isn’t that really cool?
Popular Shows and Movies only available on American Netflix
American Netflix offers some of the best movies and TV shows. Here is a list of some of the top Netflix shows not available in Malaysia and are only on American Netflix.
|Avengers: Infinity Wars||The Office (US)|
|Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse||Dexter|
|Black Hawk Down||Twin Peaks|
|Ant-Man and the Wasp||The Tudors|
|Incredibles 2||Parks and Recreation|
|Casino Royale||Marvel’s Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D|
|Quantum of Solace||Person of Interest|
|20th Century Women||The Borgias|
|Black Panther||American Horror Story|
Last updated on August 1st, 2021.
FAQ – American Netflix in Malaysia
Yes, Netflix does try to block most VPN users by blocking their IP addresses. That is why most 100% free VPNs cannot unblock Netflix. Therefore, you’d require a premium VPN so Netflix cannot recognize VPN usage. Premium VPNs refresh their IP addresses regularly so that users can get around Netflix’s geo-blocks.
You can use a free VPN to get American Netflix in Malaysia for free. But do keep in mind that most free VPNs are not capable of bypassing Netflix’s anti-proxy firewall. However, you can still try to use free VPNs like ProtonVPN or Windscribe to unblock American Netflix in Malaysia.
Netflix Malaysia plans range from 17 MYR to 55 MYR. It offers 4 plans for Malaysian users:
- Mobile: 17 MYR ($4.04/mo) [only for mobile phones and tablets]
- Basic: 35 MYR ($8.31/mo)
- Standard: 45 MYR ($10.69/mo)
- Premium: 55 MYR ($13.07/mo)
Netflix library varies from region to region because of content rights. Netflix only offers movies and TV shows in its library that it has the right to in a country, and the country itself sells these rights. However, there are local operators, for example, Astro and TVzavr in Malaysia, that Netflix has to compete with to acquire content distribution rights. Only by getting these rights can Netflix show movies and shows in that country.
Netflix Malaysia has a lot of content for local audiences, but it still lags a lot behind the content catalogue if you compare it with Netflix US. The American Netflix library has 90% more shows and movies than Netflix Malaysia, which is quite upsetting for all Malaysian streamers.
However, accessing American Netflix in Malaysia has become super-easy with a VPN. All you need is a reliable, secure, and fast VPN provider that offers great proven service in Malaysia – like ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN comes with fantastic geo-blocks bypassing capability and blazing-fast speeds that let Malaysian users get American Netflix in Malaysia and enjoy its top-notch content library.
If you found our guide on how to get American Netflix in Malaysia useful, please consider sharing it.