The American Netflix library offers a comprehensive library with ample popular TV shows, movies, and Originals. It is, thereby, the envy of all binge-streamers worldwide.
Similarly, thanks to the incredible video-streaming capabilities and 4k playback quality support, the Apple TV media player has fans across the world, especially in Canada.
However, if you’re a Canadian user and desire to enjoy American Netflix on your Apple TV device, then we have a quick hack for you. All you need is a top VPN to stream American Netflix in Canada on your Apple TV.
We tested 30+ VPNs for this. However, our top choice remained ExpressVPN due to its 23+ US servers, unmatched unblocking capabilities, and super-fast speeds.
So, as promised, let’s give you a few methods to watch US Netflix on your Apple TVs.
How to Get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada
Setting up a VPN on Apple TV is a bit complicated. Why? Because Apple TVs don’t offer native support to VPNs. Therefore, you cannot set up a VPN directly on the device.
So. to get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada, you either need to get a pre-configured router or just use any of the methods mentioned in our guide.
Following are some easy ways to configure a VPN on Apple TV:
- Configure a VPN on your physical router
- Use a VPN through AirPlay
- Set up a VPN through Smart DNS on Apple TV
Method 1: Configure a VPN on your physical Wi-Fi router at home
- Open the router dashboard by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser URL.
- Click “Services” and then the “VPN” option.
- Tick the Enable box present next to “Start Open VPN Client.”
- Contact the VPN support team after adding the settings (We highly recommend using ExpressVPN for Apple TV). Also, please remember to select a US server.
- Fire up your Apple TV and connect to the VPN-enabled Wi-Fi router.
- Go to the Netflix app and log into your Netflix account. Since you’ll be connected to a US IP of ExpressVPN, you’ll automatically be shown American Netflix.
- Choose the title you desire to watch and enjoy watching American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada.
Method 2: Use a VPN through AirPlay
- Subscribe to a premium VPN service like ExpressVPN.
- Install its dedicated app on your Mac, iPhone, or iPad.
- Launch the app and log in using your credentials.
- Connect to a US server.
- Go to the Netflix app and select the content titles you want to AirPlay.
- Cross-check that your TV and iOS device are connected to the same internet connection.
- Tap on the “Screen Mirror” icon, choose your Apple TV, and enjoy streaming US Netflix!
Method 3: Set up a VPN through Smart DNS on Apple TV
- Subscribe to a VPN that offers Smart DNS (We highly recommend using ExpressVPN as it offers an exclusive MediaStreamer feature).
- Visit expressvpn.com. Then, choose My Account > DNS Settings.
- Choose “Register My IP Address” present under IP Address Registration. Please note that if it already mentions registered, you’re not required to select the option.
- Then enable “Automatically Register My IP Address.”
- Visit the settings of your ExpressVPN account, choose Dashboard > Set Up Other Devices.
- Choose Apple TV. After this, the MediaStreamer DNS IP address will become visible on your screen.
- Then, go to the Apple TV settings and click on Network.
- From there, choose Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Network. Scroll down and select Configure DNS > Manual.
- Insert the MediaStreamer IP address there and click Done.
- Restart your Apple TV and launch it.
- Visit your Netflix app, log in to your existing Netflix account, and access Netflix US in Canada.
Best VPNs to Get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada
We tested 30+ VPN services based on router compatibilities, US servers, unblocking Netflix libraries, speeds, security, and more. Based on testing, these are the best Apple TV VPNs to enjoy streaming American Netflix in Canada:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Get American Netflix on Apple TV
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to get American Netflix on Apple TV in the Canadian region, thanks to this VPN’s multiple US servers, super-fast speeds, fantastic unblocking capabilities, and preconfigured router apps for Tomato and DD-WRT routers.
After setting up ExpressVPN on our DD-WRT router model and connecting to its Los Angeles server, we tried accessing American Netflix and became successful within 3 minutes.
Streaming an exclusive US Netflix title Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony made us realize that the speeds of ExpressVPN were great.
We were able to watch the entire documentary in 1080p, with no signs of buffering. When tested for speeds, ExpressVPN delivered super-fast speeds of 86.18 Mbps on our 100 Mbps connection, which was fantastic.
Connected to a US server, we tried accessing multiple other American streaming platforms like HBO Max, Hulu, YouTube TV, and more from Canada.
All in all, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Canada and an all-rounder VPN for Apple TV. You can get its premium service at the cost of just $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan), along with five multi-logins and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information about this VPN, check out our ExpressVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Best Value VPN to Watch American Netflix on Apple TV
If you’re looking for a cheap VPN, then Surfshark is exactly what you need. Even with budget-friendly prices, this VPN offers a super-reliable service to users.
This VPN offers 500+ US servers on its network. We connected to its New York server on our router and could unblock the Netflix region of the US on our Apple TV within 3 minutes.
We started streaming a popular US sports movie Real Steel and could enjoy it with no lags and Ultra HD playback quality. When tested for speeds, Surfshark offered an average speed of 85.49 Mbps on our 100 Mbps connection.
Using Surfshark’s US VPN server, we could unblock Amazon Prime Video, YouTube TV, HBO Max, Hulu, and more quite easily.
The best thing about this VPN is that it offers unlimited simultaneous connections to users. It also offers a 30-day refund policy and comes at a price of just $2.30/mo (Save 81% on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan with Surfshark Antivirus). For more information about this VPN connection, check out our Surfshark review.
3. NordVPN – Secure VPN to Unblock Netflix USA on Apple TV
Next up, we have NordVPN, one of the most secure VPNs to unblock American Netflix in Canada and enjoy it on Apple TV. Along with advanced security features, such as obfuscated servers, Nordlynx, and kill switch, this VPN offers 1970+ servers in the US.
We connected NordVPN’s Denver server to our router and tried unblocking American Netflix. In just 4 minutes, we could unlock the best Netflix library in the world.
We started watching a thriller called Manorama Six Feet Underusing NordVPN and could enjoy it and many other content titles on US Netflix without any delays.
As part of our testing methodology, we also tested NordVPN for speeds. On our 100 Mbps connection, this VPN delivered an average speed of 83.48 Mbps.
Like the other two VPNs above, we could unblock multiple US-based VoD services with NordVPN. We tried accessing Vudu in Canada and enjoyed it all day.
If anonymity and secure streaming is your major concern, then NordVPN is the right VPN for you. It comes at $3.99/mo (Save 70% on 2 Years Plan + Extra Subscription) and offers six multi-logins and a 30-day refund policy to users. For more information about this VPN, check out our NordVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Fastest Apple TV VPN to Enjoy 4K Netflix Streaming
IPVanish is the fastest VPN to enjoy American Netflix on Apple TV in your country. This VPN offers blazing-fast speeds on its 1169 US servers.
We connected IPVanish’s Miami VPN server to our Apple TV and tried unblocking American Netflix. You won’t believe it, but this VPN lets us access this streaming service within a minute.
We clicked on Whose Vote Counts, Explained– a famous TV show on US Netflix and enjoyed multiple episodes of it without any form of buffering and its video quality not going below 1080p.
Curious, we tested IPVanish for speeds, and it delivered a mind-blowing speed of 86.75 Mbps on our 100 Mbps connection.
Thanks to its speed, we enjoyed various American content in Canada. We unblocked HBO Max in Canada using IPVanish and enjoyed our favorite TV show, Game of Thrones.
You get IPVanish at the cost of $3.99/mo . You get unlimited simultaneous connections and a 30-day refund policy to users on all its plans. For more information about this VPN connection, check out our IPVanish review.
5. CyberGhost – Optimized Netflix Streaming Servers for Apple TV
Last on our list, we have CyberGhost, a user-friendly VPN to watch US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada. This VPN offers optimized streaming servers especially to unblock American Netflix in your region.
This VPN offers 1270+ US servers in its server network. We connected its Atlanta server to our router and tried accessing American Netflix on our Apple TV. Using this VPN, we could unblock the VoD service within 5 minutes.
We started streaming a popular teen drama movie by Cameron Diaz called Bad Teacher using this VPN. We realized after the movie ended that we were able to enjoy it without any lags and in 1080p.
We tested CyberGhost for speeds, and it delivered an average speed of 75.47 Mbps on our 100 Mbps connection.
Along with Netflix USA, we could unblock and enjoy multiple US streaming services. To enjoy some famous NBC hits and originals, we tried accessing Peacock TV in Canada and streamed tons of content easily.
FAQs – Get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada
How do I get US Netflix on Apple TV?
You can get American Netflix on Apple TV using a VPN service. Since Apple TV does not offer native support to VPNs, you can use any of these three methods: using a VPN through AirPlay, setting up a VPN on your physical router, and using Smart DNS.
How do I change my Netflix region on Apple TV?
Is Netflix no longer on Apple TV?
Netflix is available on the 2nd Generation of Apple TV and older. Apple TV offers a built-in app of Netflix, so all users need to do is launch the app, sign in using their credentials, and enjoy!
This ends our guide on how to get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada. We mean, desperate times call for fun measures.
If you’re stuck at home during this pandemic and tired of Canadian Netflix, then it’s time you buy the most reliable VPN for yourself instead of a free VPN service, configure it on your router, and enjoy all popular US Netflix content on Apple TV.
Out of all the VPNs we listed, if you want the one that hands down offers the best service, then you need to trust us and opt for our top choice – ExpressVPN. Not only does this VPN offer 23+ US servers in 14 cities, but also amazing speeds, security, and unblocking capabilities.
If you have any questions about your Apple TV devices, please ask in the comment section below. Until then, happy streaming!